HALO: Reach SPARTAN Foam Armour Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPARTAN II

Sr Member
Hey all,

Long-time member, not-so-recent visitor. Just came back to the 405th not too long ago, after a very long absence. Been focusing my prop-building efforts on most things Star Trek mainly, busy kitting out a bunch of stuff on other prop forums. Now that I'm close to wrapping up my most recent production run, as well as a couple commissioned builds, I decided it was time to come back and focus on what brought me here in the first place; building a suit of SPARTAN armour :)

When I first joined up here, I'd originally wanted to put together a set of Mk VI MJOLNIR armour like the Master Chief's from HALO 3 (only ever got so far as putting together most of the helmet out of a Pep file skinned in sheet styrene), but as HALO: Reach came out, and after seeing LilTyrant's awe-inspiring KAT build, my attention shifted to the way-kewl armour developed for that game. I then opted to do up my Noble Six character's version of the armour, which is a combination of Air Assault and ODST components.

The plan is to make the body armour entirely out of foam, with only the helmet being Pep'd with a styrene skin as I'd done for my Mk VI helmet. The array of tools will be pretty simple, only an X-acto knife for cutting out the many individual pieces and a hot glue gun with plenty of glue sticks, lol. The materials being used are the large puzzle-piece floor mats available in packs of four at Wal-Mart, which cost about $15.00 plus tax. I've got a couple packs down in my workshop.

I'll be layering it with 1/16" thick craft foam to achieve any raised or recessed surface details. Once assembled, I will be applying a rubber coating (which I found is available in spray can format, typically used for pick-up truck beds) to cover up any seams and add a little flexibility. Everything will be attached with nylon straps and 3/4" clips.

Anyway, here's the few WiP pics I have to show of my efforts thus far:

18czST.jpg

Tos2VP.jpg

I6xaeJ.jpg

Though the helmet file I used was by far the most accurate put out at the time I downloaded it (don't know if a newer, better model has been done since), there are still a few areas on it that aren't quite to my liking. As such, I will be reworking those areas to make it much more game-accurate to satisfy my inner perfectionist standards, lol.

Xsy8B9.jpg

9GF5gF.jpg

I've traced out and have begun cutting out the pieces for the torso. I plan on starting from the top and working my way down the body, so next up after the torso will be the shoulders, then biceps, then forearms, etc. I figure by starting this now, I'll have it mostly finished before the cold weather comes back around and I won't be able to paint anything (don't have any ventilation in my workshop, and I don't want to gas the wife, lol). I hope to have this ready to wear for Ottawa Comic Con next May :cool

Attachments

• 18czST.jpg
    18czST.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 233
  • Tos2VP.jpg
    Tos2VP.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 212
  • I6xaeJ.jpg
    I6xaeJ.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 224
  • Xsy8B9.jpg
    Xsy8B9.jpg
    839.6 KB · Views: 228
  • 9GF5gF.jpg
    9GF5gF.jpg
    500.6 KB · Views: 220
Thanks! It's a slow start, but a start nonetheless.

Oh, and I forgot to mention earlier, I'm getting the detailed undersuit done by someone locally as I simply don't have the skill, but I want it to look right.

I admit it'll cost me a pretty penny, but with all the reference pics I've provided them with it'll look very game-accurate. Definitely worth the cost, imho.

Been slowly working on the helmet, figuring out how I'm going to do some of the details. While working that out, I decided to put together my favourite style of CNM (Command Network Module), of which there are several to choose when customizing one's in-game character:

DSC04013.JPG DSC04014.JPG DSC04011.JPG DSC04012.JPG

As can be seen, I have most of it finished, just need to add a couple details to the front and it'll be good to go. Was even thinking of molding/casting it in case anyone else might be interested in adding this accessory to thier own armour. I've also begun work on an all-foam combat knife and sheath, will post pics later.

Thanks! Here's the CNM as it is now (primered, ready for molding and casting):

DSC04024.JPG DSC04025.JPG DSC04026.JPG DSC04027.JPG

I'm also nearing completion of my aforementioned foam combat knife and sheath (I built it using a Pep file as reference):

DSC04031.JPG DSC04032.JPG DSC04033.JPG DSC04034.JPG

It's entirely made out of foam, with the exception of the blade edge which I fashioned out of styrene. Still have to clean up (or cover up) some edges, but it's getting there.

The knife measures 14" long overall, with the blade being 8 3/8" and the knife and sheath measuring 15" in length when together. The sheath is 8.5" long by 3 1/4" wide.

The second knife in the fourth pic was actually the first one I started putting together, until I realized I was building it the opposite of what I wanted (right-handed), lol.

I figured I might as well finish it in case someone else could use it. It's meant to be attached to the right side of the torso, for left-handed people. I'll be putting it in the Marketplace soon.

My lucky day! I've been wanting that attachment for my commando but I just can't get it right. Very interested in buying a copy. Name your price. though I can't see paying over $30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back