MandoMan531's ODST Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! I'm anxious to get home and do some more costume work. Working 12hours time and a half plus holiday pay, it's dragging!

Man those textures make a huge difference. Nice.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Thanks! Yea I love the texture of these particular mats, just like the HF mats. I'm working a bit on it now, adding some details. Kind of exhausted haha Probably get some plastidip on there tomorrow. Get the straps laid in and the pads attached, setup the belt attachment since my girl will be here to help. Hopefully I can start attaching stuff soon.

Almost ready for plastidip! Ive been taking a little time adding some small details with various things around my work area, styrene tubes, rods etc, soldering iron, Dremel. This is what I've come up with so far. I'll probably repress the smaller "rivets" after plastidip to sharpen them back up a little. Just wanna sand the collar rim a bit and I'm spaying!

null_zpsf76ecc3c.jpg

also working on the side rib pads that go on the vest, almost forgot about them.

Attachments

• null_zpsf76ecc3c.jpg
    null_zpsf76ecc3c.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 103
Coated! Used some brush on Plastidip to seal the inside.

null_zps9e43b648.jpg

null_zps97390eca.jpg

I also found this stuff today, it's brand new. Haven't tried it yet but I'm getting some next time!
null_zpse9d51994.jpg

null_zps2d6ce8b3.jpg

Also finished one of the shoulder pads/straps. Just gotta make the buckles.

null_zps36c33743.jpg

Attachments

• null_zps9e43b648.jpg
    null_zps9e43b648.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 92
  • null_zps2d6ce8b3.jpg
    null_zps2d6ce8b3.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 104
  • null_zpse9d51994.jpg
    null_zpse9d51994.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 108
  • null_zps97390eca.jpg
    null_zps97390eca.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 94
  • null_zps36c33743.jpg
    null_zps36c33743.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 96
Almost finished one of the side vest pads, just have to build the little "strap retainers" that go over the ends of the straps. Had a hard time attaching this to the vest. Thought hot glue was my best bet, I'm using this new stuff I saw called "Pro-Strength" high temp, had to clamp the pad down till it cooled but it seems to be holding. I may get some binding posts at the hardware store and go through to help keep them from ripping off.

null_zpsfc3f3ff9.jpg

Attachments

• null_zpsfc3f3ff9.jpg
    null_zpsfc3f3ff9.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 102

When compared with Plastidip, Flexidip is very smooth and more of a flat color. Also Flexidip is much weaker requiring more coats to make as durable.

That said I use both. I mainly use Plastidip to hide imperfections and Flexidip to show off details.

When compared with Plastidip, Flexidip is very smooth and more of a flat color. Also Flexidip is much weaker requiring more coats to make as durable.

That said I use both. I mainly use Plastidip to hide imperfections and Flexidip to show off details.

Ah good to know! Think I'll stick with plastidip for now. If I hadn't found gunmetal gray plastidip the day before I would've bought the gray FlexiDip.

Little update! After test fitting the completed shoulder straps, I decided I didn't like the foam edge on the vest in that area so I made a quick liner/seal with a bit of the black mesh I'm using and plastidipped it. Looks much better IMO. right now Im working on the buckles, and sanding the various hard armor parts I have.

null_zps68d2ffa9.jpg

null_zps0756f852.jpg

null_zpse216ae9a.jpg

Attachments

• null_zpse216ae9a.jpg
    null_zpse216ae9a.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 96
  • null_zps0756f852.jpg
    null_zps0756f852.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 98
  • null_zps68d2ffa9.jpg
    null_zps68d2ffa9.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 108
Finished up one of my buckles, messed the center bar up a little cuz I just had to test fit it :p. luckily the strap covers that.

null_zpsb3e3dc80.jpg

Quick mockup of the chest plates.

null_zpse05ca856.jpg

Sneak peek! :)

null_zps2d662758.jpg

Attachments

• null_zpse05ca856.jpg
    null_zpse05ca856.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 91
  • null_zps2d662758.jpg
    null_zps2d662758.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 99
  • null_zpsb3e3dc80.jpg
    null_zpsb3e3dc80.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 100
Wow! Impeccable job! I know everyone has said it already but the textured surface is a great idea!!! how well did that spray on flexidip works out!!!

I didn't use the FlexiDip, haven't even picked any up yet. A few days before I saw the FlexiDip I was at Lowes and say Gunmetal Gray Plastidip so I'm using that. It works great honestly! Takes the sheen out of the fabric, seals it, and gives it a cool feel. Not sure if it'll affect weathering at all but we'll see.

Work this week has been doin a number on me, I'm just burnt out. Sitting here trying to do buckles and I just keep zoning out haha.

EDIT-when I say I used the gray plastidip I obviously mean on the gray parts. After re-reading I'm not sure which textured surface you're speaking of in particular. So just to clarify, the shoulder straps have a gray fabric laid over them and then sprayed with gray plastidip, the "seal" I put on the edge of the shoulder of the vest was the same fabric but in black and black plastidipped, and the left and right chest plates are covered in a fabric from a junk tote bag and black plastidipped.

Very righteous dude

Thanks!
Planning to finish up the buckles and get the vest done to start the mounting for the chest plates. I'm thinking Industrial Velcro will be fine and will allow for a bit of fine tuning if the plates aren't perfectly straight on the vest.

im also second thinking my colors, I was gonna do the center plate a textured gray, with the side plates being black. I'm thinking I may wanna do it the other way around now.

yeah i think the industrial velcro will do just fine :)

Honestly i think it depends on what you want to put on the center plate as far as a design to see what color works best. If nothing, then i think the black center plate with the textured grey side look will be sweet. black kinda goes with anything lol

yeah i think the industrial velcro will do just fine :)

Honestly i think it depends on what you want to put on the center plate as far as a design to see what color works best. If nothing, then i think the black center plate with the textured grey side look will be sweet. black kinda goes with anything lol

Thanks for the suggestions! On the center plate I'm planning to do the UNSC crest, and "UNSC" stenciled in the recessed area at the top of the plate. And damage obviously haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back