MandoMan531's ODST Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

MandoMan531

Hey everyone! I've been away for quite awhile and recently started my build back up to finish in time for NYCC. I originally updated my old thread, but I figured Itd be better to start a new one. So here's the info on the build...I'm not sticking to any one design, kind of mixing and matching parts and materials and giving it my own bit of style. It's basically going to be an undersuit, then soft armor, and then hard armor. I've made the vest out of EVA foam using Hugh Holders file, but I'm planning to redo it as I think I can make a much better one. The belt buckle, hip plates and fanny pack will all be on a Condor Battlebelt setup.. not many pics to share right now but plenty to come!

I just finished the belt buckle tonight, looked at the various in game shots and put a bit of my own style to it. The buckle pad is EVA foam wrapped in a gray fabric I had. Also the template for my buckles.
null_zpsd29604da.jpg

Primered and basecoated
null_zps548cd50c.jpg

null_zps39425c2e.jpg

My rough shoulder
null_zps71d2affb.jpg

Rib pads with rough armor plates and faux strap stays.
null_zps8ba35f4b.jpg

All mocked up on the vest. I've since narrowed the center chest plate and wrapped the side plates in fabric.

null_zps3ff9ade1.jpg

Attachments

• null_zpsd29604da.jpg
    null_zpsd29604da.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 106
  • null_zps548cd50c.jpg
    null_zps548cd50c.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 108
  • null_zps39425c2e.jpg
    null_zps39425c2e.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 101
  • null_zps71d2affb.jpg
    null_zps71d2affb.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 110
  • null_zps8ba35f4b.jpg
    null_zps8ba35f4b.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 111
  • null_zps3ff9ade1.jpg
    null_zps3ff9ade1.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 117
Thanks! The foam parts weren't my cleanest work but most of them are getting covered in fabric. I tried to do a nice split of foam parts and pep parts.
my battle belt comes today, but I can't really do much with it yet. Finished pepping the hip plate and started the fanny pack.

That is a very good start to your project. Looks really sharp. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get that mesh looking fabric you are using? I have a pouch made of the same material and have been trying to source some more of it.

Thanks! Unfortunately I'm stuck at work late and can't do much today. :(. Upside is that I got my battle belt and it looks perfect!

That is a very good start to your project. Looks really sharp. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get that mesh looking fabric you are using? I have a pouch made of the same material and have been trying to source some more of it.

Thanks! Its just some jersey type material I had laying around.

I have a question. Why are you using foam for some of the parts and pep for other ones?

No reason in particular. I'm a huge fan of using mixed materials. I also like to take a look at the evolution of equipment and try to put my own twist on it. Taking a few steps back in my perceived evolution of ODST equipment from a "real world" point of view some armor parts made more sense as soft armor or a soft armor base with a hard armor overlay. Basically my way of looking at it is, ODSTs weren't always the way they are now..just like our soldiers of WW1 weren't the high tech warfighters of today. So I take the opportunity to give my rendition of one step in the evolution of ODST.

Plus I save some time on those parts, ha.

and thanks everyone!

What is that fabric you used for the vest, I love the texture that it gives, very military! Also did you use elastic banding to make the vest breathable?

What is that fabric you used for the vest, I love the texture that it gives, very military! Also did you use elastic banding to make the vest breathable?

You mean the gray or black mesh? I answered that up there ^. It's just a material I had in my extras bin. Now the base vest isn't made from that, the vest is EVA. But now that you said that, I may have to try to add some breathable panels in since I'm remaking it tomorrow. The parts you are seeing in the material (the rib pad, the belt buckle pad) are just add ons to the vest. Just wanted to clarify that.

i have a shirt that's the same style as the one I plan to use, just the wrong camo color...so I've been using that to test the costume. I set up the battle belt with my belt buckle pad and put it on and it fits perfect. The sides of the Battlebelt come around my front and tuck in just behind the edges of my buckle pad.

null_zps202a1c19.jpg

Attachments

• null_zps202a1c19.jpg
    null_zps202a1c19.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 109
Yeah I think its a really cool idea covering the EVA with that mesh, So ill be looking around for it in fabric stores.

It really shouldn't be hard to find at all!

Big plans for tonight/tomorrow/3 day weekend

Make Vest V2, to correct the slight crookedness and add the upgrades I have planned, and setup the strapping between the vest and belt.
Make new hard armor for the rib plates, finish strap stays and get the rib plates done.
Finish chest plates, figure out how they'll be attached.
Add final details to buckle plate, attach to buckle pad.
Make templates and make thigh armor.
Finish pepping the fanny pack, and center stomach plate and harden those and the hip plate.

GAH! Harbor freight is out of mats until Tuesday! I picked up one of the rolls with the diamond plate pattern...NOT what I wanna use. So I'm gonna check a few places around I know I've seen the mats before. I have 2 full tiles and some smaller pieces at home...maybe I can make this work.

Did some running around today, the only mats I could find with the texture I like were at Sears. They we're multicolored but it was a decent deal at $11.99 for a pack of 6 tiles so I got a pack.

Got the pattern starte for the new vest.
null_zpsd7a0d61b.jpg

Added some faux rivets and did a basic paint on my buckle plate and finished it all up, minus some weathering.
null_zps46dd8c38.jpg

Quick mock up with Vest V1.

null_zpsfeb77f85.jpg

Attachments

• null_zpsd7a0d61b.jpg
    null_zpsd7a0d61b.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 113
  • null_zps46dd8c38.jpg
    null_zps46dd8c38.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 97
  • null_zpsfeb77f85.jpg
    null_zpsfeb77f85.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 109
Well Vest V2 is almost done! Its already such a huge improvement. Here's a sneak peek!

null_zps72e5b695.jpg

With this one I corrected the slight crookedness in the back, it's dead on straight now. Separated the shoulder strap pads into 2 pieces, shoulder pads will be fabric covered now. Rounded over some edges with sanding sticks I made. Adding some other little details that V1 was lacking. All I gotta do is the Velcro work, finish up the shoulder straps/pads and plastidip !! This V2 is also assembled with contact adhesive, rather than hot glue. Worked amazingly!

Attachments

• null_zps72e5b695.jpg
    null_zps72e5b695.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 103
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back