"battle damage" and "scarring"

Status
Not open for further replies.

taisian

hello everyone,
i am going to be making some new armor in these next few weeks, and I've been looking into battle damage, and scarring of the piece. ive seen people using petrolium jelly as a way to be able to scrape layers away after painting. One way i am thinking if at all possible, could one use spot puddie halfway dried to the point of being clay like could one use steel wool as a way of making it look like shrapnel damage on lets say a shoulder or chest piece? if so can anyone give me some more information on how or what techniques you use so i can have an easier way of getting the results i want!! :) thanks
-Jared​

This may be a good question to pose at the "Help for painting thread, if it hasn't been brought up already. You're more likely to get answers there, and it helps to keep the forums a little less "cluttered" if questions are asked in the appropriate help threads rather than creating a new thread.

10460806_10203587577321367_2258843986613500052_n.jpg

This was all done via dry brushing, basically what you do is dip the brush then use a piece of paper to "dry" it out, then you paint with that and it gives it a very scratched looked.
Another thing you can do is use a dremel to scar the surface of the armor. Hope this helps!

thank you both! sorry ive just joined today actually and its a bit new with reading everything and finding all the information!

It can be quite overwhelming. There is a lot of information to be found here in the forums, and the staff does their best to keep it corralled into specific threads that each deal with certain subjects. It's still a mountain of information, but at least it's fairly organized.

Toothpaste is cheaper and works the same :p
Or mustard.

Those are both just cosmetic damage though. As for the spot putty, if you want to make it look like physical damage, that would probably work. It'd take some painting to look realistic though.

One little thing I found for foam that makes a sort of "ding" look as if something ricocheted off a part of the armor is to hold a heat gun in one place almost touching the foam at a 30-40 degree angle. After a few seconds it will make something that looks like this
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409264184.397700.jpg

- Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back