Re: Mjlonir Mk VI Armour, First Build. (W.I.P)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Boombas

ok so i decided to do a new thread on this because i have acually finished my pep work. so here it is

photo 2.JPG photo 1.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 5.JPG

would really like your opinion on how i did as this is my first time ever doing pepakura. my next step i believe is to do the resin, any advice on the upcoming steps would be appreciated.

Looks like you managed to get the brim straight, which is something you don't see often with a first time pep. When you do the resin make sure to apply it in sections instead of the whole helmet in one go, letting it cure before starting on another section. Otherwise you'll have too much wet cardstock and the paper won't be able to support the weight.

Thanks, do i only do one coat? Also should i star the other parts of the armour while i wait for the resin?

At an absolute minimum you should do one coat of resin on the outside and one coat on the inside. I've read of people doing 2-3 coats on the outside (extra coats done after both sides are coated at least once). Remember that the resin isn't intended to be the final hardening - it's just to give the cardstock enough strength/rigidity to withstand the real hardening process (fiberglass and/or "rondo"). You can pep your entire costume before even opening the first can of resin if you like, but you'll need a safe dry place to store them. Humidity in the air can warp the parts, large faces may "sag" over long periods of time, they could collect dust (which would need to be cleaned off before applying resin), or cats could pounce on them! I store mine in cardboard boxes with silica gel packets. My plan is to pep not one, but two full costumes over the winter and then start resining in the spring when the weather warms up again. Time will tell if I actually accomplish that or not.

Ok thanks heaps guys, i am defenetaly going to start on another armour while i wait for resin and dryer weather.

Just a quick update, the mk vi armour has halted as i am cutting out pieces of an ODST helmet but once that is done i am doing to do the arm pieces of the MK VI

ok so it has been a while, sorry my internet was down. during the time i have done the left shoulder piece as seen below
WIN_20140923_185332.JPGWIN_20140923_185338.JPGWIN_20140923_185343.JPGWIN_20140923_185359.JPG

right now i am doing the left forearm and i am just about to start gluing it after i post this. I also have got a fibreglass kit as well but i have decided to make a full suit then start the resining.
One last thing if you look at my helmet you can see that the brim is not 100% straight, like it needs to be pulled down so that its level. when i resin the helmet will the brim go down or will i need to mold it down? anyway would like to see feedback and will keep you posted more than what i have been.

Have now finished my forearm. my only problem is that its width i a bit too big haha. am not sure if it looks right or not but maybe that is because it is still in peping stage.

WIN_20140929_125007.JPGWIN_20140929_125015.JPGWIN_20140929_125020.JPGWIN_20140929_125026.JPG

comments much appreciated, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back