EVA Foam ODST build *PIC HEAVY*

Status
Not open for further replies.

goboy3133

What's up guys!
So seeing that Melbourne Armageddon Expo is coming up in October, I decided that I wanted to complete some Halo armour, seeing as I have recently re-ignited my love for the original halo series (CE to Reach) and I re-fell inlove with ODST, so I decided to make a full suit of ODST armour from Halo 3: ODST. Im going to make the entire armour out of EVA foam, all except the helmet, which is being peped out. So far, I've just about done one shoulder, and started the helmet, but I'm going to have to pause the build for three weeks, after next week, seeing as I'll be traveling to the US for the school holidays. The armour is being made by following DaFrontlineTrooper's tutorials in YouTube, so hopefully it'll come out nicely. Without further ado, here's the armour so far:

Shoulder:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Helmet:
image.jpg

That's it so far, but I'm definitely going to work on it a lot more over the next week.

So until next update, catch you guys around!
-goboy3133

EDIT: Here is the the list of what I need to complete:
Current Progress:
RED: Not Started
ORANGE: Started Pepping (0-50% Pepped)/Cut out Foam Pieces and Started Glueing
YELLOW: 51%-99% Pepped/Glued together 1/2
GREEN: 100% Pepped, Starting Resining/Glued Together Both/All of
BLUE: Finished Resin, Started Finishing of procedures and Painting/Plasti-dip and Painting
PURPLE: Complete

ARMOUR:

Helmet: Started Pepping (5%, maybe?)
Shoulders: Both Shoulders Fully Glued and Wearable!
Gauntlets: Both Fully Glued and Wearable!
Chest Base: 85%
Chest Upper: Not Started
Chest Lower: Not Started
Thighs: Both completed!!!
Hip Plates: Both Completed!
Ab Plates: Not Started
Pelvic Plate: Not Started
Butt Plates: Not Started
Shins: Not Started / Not Started

PROPS:
SMG: Fully cut out, Needing sanding, barrel, sights and magazine

It may seem like a lot, but I've split all the tutorials into it's own separate piece, so it's easier to understand somewhat.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: EVA Foam ODST build

Looking forward to seeing your progress! And any particular reason you went with pep for the helmet (was it for detail or just durability?)

Looking forward to seeing your progress! And any particular reason you went with pep for the helmet (was it for detail or just durability?)
I've bad a lot of practice with peps, and because I knew what I was doing with Pepakura, I thought id pep it instead! I'd love to actually finish it though, seeing I'm not very good with finishing costumes (because I tend to loos interest, as you can see with some of my past builds, as well as time, being a school student.) I haven't really gone past fully pepping, but I intend to with this one :D

Andrew's tutorial is very well done, I am also working on an ODST from his tutorial. Can't wait to see your end results. Keep it up. And don't procrastinate like I am on it. Haha :D

Hey guys!
So yesterday (Being Father's Day in Australia) I worked a little bit on the shoulder, cutting out the foam pieces, and gluing what I could with the last of the hot glue that I had, and now I've fully, 100% run out of glue. Luckily for me, my aunt works at Bunnings, and bought me a 10 pack of Hot Glue Sticks, so she's going to drop them off at my grandmothers, and my mum is going to pick them up and bring them home, so I can finish the shoulder and make sure it fits me!

On another note, I started working on the gauntlets as well, and found out that one of the templates that DFT (Andrew Cook) had was completely different to what was on the actual character, so I cut out a template before I went to bed.
No pictures yet, but I will post some tonight when I get home!

I'll also edit the OP to show a little tally of what pieces are done, and what I need to do!

Until next update, see you guys around!
-goboy3133

What's up guys!
Following from my post earlier today, I finished glueing one of the shoulders for my ODST costume! The little, middle part looks really terrible, but I'm hoping to fix that with some sanding, hopefully... Aww well, it's looking damn fantastic if I do say so myself, and my knife is pretty shoddy too, and all in just about two days too!
So without further adeu, the shoulder piece!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
image.jpg

That's the shoulder so far (sorry for some of the lopsided and blurry photos, I'm not usually that bad at taking cosplay shots :/) so now I just need to make another one, and I'm in business

So until next update, catch you guys later!
-goboy3133

What's up guys!
So today I wasn't at school today, so I got a chance to work on the other shoulder, from cutting it out the night before, and it's all glued and ready to go! I ran out of foam, so I couldn't make an arm strap so that it actually sits on my arm properly, and I'm going to the US tomorrow, so I won't be buying anymore foam for another three weeks, so this build is now essentially on a three week pause :/

Other than that, here's the finished shoulder pieces!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hey guys!
Just a quick minor update of sorts.
So Armageddon is in just under 3 weeks time, and still being in the US, this is really problematic for me. I come back on the 3rd of October, which leaves me only 2 full weeks to finish the ENTIRE ODST costume. And all I've done is the shoulders... Let's pray together and hope I can get this suit done in two weeks! This really puts emphasis of dropping feet first into hell XD

Until next time, catch you later!
-goboy3133

if your using foam look at dft's facebook page for foam blueprints you should be able too push out the rest in a weeks time.

I personally love DFT's tutorials. I used them to make my ODST armor as well since it's really user friendly for first timers like myself. I didn't use pep for the helmet though. I used floral foam and carved one big block into the shape i wanted.

if your using foam look at dft's facebook page for foam blueprints you should be able too push out the rest in a weeks time.

I've been following those tutorials and blueprints as I go, but sometimes when I straight up scale toe blueprints to my body, it comes out with some pieces either being too big or two small, and im worried I'll screw up if I try to draw them up myself :/

yeah sizing is a bit of pain but if it turns out a little big you can trim it down right.

Hey guys!
So after Just about 4 weeks of not being able to do anything with the ODST suit, I started to work on the suit today, after school, and I've completed one of the gauntlets, as well as set up one of the shoulders to be able to be worn on my arm, so here is the updated shoulder and gauntlet!
IMG_6075.JPG
IMG_6076.JPG
IMG_6077.JPG
IMG_6078.JPG
IMG_6080.JPG
IMG_6082.JPG
IMG_6083.JPG
IMG_6085.JPG

I also managed to injure myself for the first time with my Hot Glue gun... The hot glue kinda just dripped onto my leg, and it burnt my leg :/ I managed to get the glue off, but at the cost of some of my hairs :p
IMG_6074.JPG

That's it for this update. Expect to see a little more in the near future!

Until next update, see you guys later!
-goboy3133

*EDIT*
I have no idea why the photos are upside down, please don't kill me :p

Hey guys!
So I did a little update/modification to the gauntlet to make it fit on my arm better, and not fall off as much, and this is what came out! It looks better now, showing less wrist, and adding a little bit of detail, but the only downside is it's harder to take off and put on, but I'll be able to live with that. This is what it looks like now:

View attachment 4648
View attachment 4649
image.jpg

Ill work on the the left arm soon, but for now, that's all.

So until next update, catch you guys later!
-goboy3133

Hey guys! Time for an Update!
So the Armageddon Expo has come and gone, and unfortunately, the ODST Costume wasn't ready in time (which I figured) so I got some time to work on it during the weekend, and tonight, I finished the gauntlets, and made the other shoulder wearable, so now the arms are complete!
IMG_6152.JPG
IMG_6153.JPG
IMG_6154.JPG
IMG_6155.JPG

That's all for now, so until next update, see you guys around!
-goboy3133

P.S. For any of you guys heavily into more cosplays/costumes than just Halo, I started my own cosplay page on Facebook, which can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/GoboyCosplay

See you around!

Fixed it so that the uploaded photos from the most recent update show!
-goboy3133

Hey guys!
So last night, seeing as I'm not too certain about making the legs and chest piece yet, as I'm not certain about sizing it to my body as well as I did with the arms, so last night, I started working on the prop that's going to go with the ODST armour, and that's the SMG! I'm making it out of Foam, so I'm going to layer it up a bit more, but last night I cut out the first layer of it, which is only 1cm thick.
10441175_1503031453289243_1135500391108841275_n.jpg
10511314_1503038709955184_5552084820955433267_n.jpg
10710895_1503038739955181_160531348590015381_n.jpg
10702223_1503038753288513_1387974745158635920_n.jpg

I'm hopefully going to have it roughly 4cm-5cm thick, and make the details on the outer levels. I'm also going to try and make the magazine reloadable, and I have an idea on how I'm going to do it, but I'm not too certain as of yet. I'll keep you updated on that when I get to there.

Until then, see you guys around!
-goboy3133

Hey guys!
Update time!
So seeing as I'm running out of foam, and have only one sheet left for the opposite side of the SMG, I've started detailing the left of it... aaaand then I ran completely out of hot glue, causing the entire build to be put on pause for now. Nevertheless, I still managed to get a bit of detailing done, and marked out where the next details are going to go. So without further ado, the updated SMG!
1779838_1503360863256302_4295475629762330990_n.jpg
10710991_1503497276575994_2422617576097062152_n.jpg
10561813_1503497289909326_2417500958293761865_n.jpg
10433889_1503670766558645_5598194892285255339_n.jpg

If you're wondering how I did those edges on the stock of the SMG, what I did was cut out each piece separately, then glued them on to the base stock like a jigsaw puzzle, then once they were glued on (sorta), I ran the tip of my hot glue gun down the edge, to get that nice looking curve. I'm going to try and see if you can do it without actually cutting out the pieces, then show you guys a little tutorial on how I did it (seeing as I don't think I explained it very well).

On another note, I'm not sure about putting a core into the SMG so it won't wobble around as much. Does anyone have any tips that I can use?

Thanks guys!
And until next update, see you guys around!
-goboy3133

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back