Destiny Hunter First build, in FOAM, too! (Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gray Silhouette

Hello everyone! I've done this a few times, started a thread and project, gave up, started a thread, gave up, etc etc.
Not this time.
This time will be different, I swear it!
Mostly because I've sunk a lot of $$$ into it already. So.

First build, sorta. I've done pepakura with paper and bondo and fiberglass and the like, but never foam, so this is new territory for me.
This will take the combined efforts of the 405th and the RPF to get me to finish this as perfect as my perfectionist self will want it, so comments are wanted, needed, and generally cherished forever. Ish.

Aaaaaanyways, the build!
I plan on going off of Impact Props' very quick hunter build, shown here:
IMG_1597.JPG

Along with the hunter from the Law of the Jungle trailer, here:
IMG_1624.PNG

And finally, the hunter from the live action trailer, here:
IMG_1619.PNG

With all these references it shouldn't be... too bad. Hopefully.
Anyways, tips, tricks, and general help-me-do-this-faster-better-stronger ideas are much appreciated.

SO FAR: I have purchased a thorn hand cannon from Impact Props, to arrive...sometime, and a hunter knife purchased from NexusFX over on the RPF to arrive in the next few days, probably. I also bought some ski goggles, thanks to RoxyRoo on the 405th for putting a link to the goggles in her hunter build. Should arrive...I dunno. It's in like china or japan or somewhere far away and mystical. Could be Narnia for all I know. Either way, it means I'm not starting on the helmet until I get it.

QUESTIONS:
This place is for any questions I have, to be updated at any time.

What cloth to use for the cape/hood/scarf thing? And how to put designs on it?
Any ideas for strapping?

PROGRESS
To be updated with...well, progress.

So far, I have the left shoulder bit.
IMG_1626.JPG
The right shoulder looks to be a pain since it's curved like a standard shoulder guard for like sports or something weird like that.

Comments, 1,2,3, go!

I do indeed have a heat gun! Very helpful piece of hardware.

Alright, so, progress!
Get both shoulders done, along with the little bicep band things that go under them. Worked a little on the boots.
But let me tell you.
I've never made a chest/torso armor thing out of foam.
It is not fun to shape. Even with a heat gun.

Pictures for all of this will be up tomorrow, since it's nearly midnight and I have classes tomorrow.

Thanks all!

w00t! Always excite to see destiny armor, and the hunter is definitely very awesome looking in the trailers. Curious how you fair making the chest out of foam (bending must be very fun).

Picture time!

Here we have the shoulder and bicep arm band thingies. Yes, they fit. I have skinny arms.
IMG_1628.JPG

Next if the front chest plate, with an emblem made out of foam, probably gonna go on the front, not sure yet.
IMG_1629.JPG

And finally, the back plate.
IMG_1630.JPG

Let me tell you guys, I really hate molding this thing. It's also bringing up problems like how to seamlessly attach the plates, and still be able to put it on. Ugh.
Still molding them. Next thing to work on will be the armor that goes on top, along with detailing of the torso. Hopefully something I ordered will show up soon, because as soon as Destiny comes out (TOMORROW OHMAHGAWD), this will probably see slower progress.

Thanks!

EDIT:

Finally finished the stupid freakin' torso base. Here.
IMG_1639.JPG

More angles.
IMG_1632.JPG
IMG_1636.JPG

I protect my identity with the power of Morokei!

Did a quick n sleazy attachment of the shoulders by hot gluing a rubber band on the inside of them. It worked pretty well for the five minutes I needed it to, but I need an idea for a more permanent strapping system.
Next up is torso detailing. Pics will come eventually.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1639.JPG
    IMG_1639.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 266
The torso really came out clean. Did you use any specific technique to get the foam to bend so well, or just heat, heat, heat?

The torso really came out clean. Did you use any specific technique to get the foam to bend so well, or just heat, heat, heat?

I used a heat gun, my body, the foam, and my parents to help me mold it faster. It was a paaaiiinnn.
The hunter is unique from most other armors in that the back is hidden by the cape. Which allows me to do this:
IMG_1642.JPG
I split the back down the middle which allows me to sort of enter in through the back (bow chicka bow wow) instead of having to clip the front and back together like most others. It's much easier to work with.

OH, AND HEY GUYS. LOOK WHAT SHOWED UP.
IMG_1640.JPG

Huge thank you to NexusFX over on the RPF for making this thing, it is AWESOME!
It's also really big compared to my small stature. Like, here look.
IMG_1641.JPG

That's from the tip of my middle finger to the inside of my elbow. Dayum.
Got it wet sanded, time to paint it up!

Thanks all!

Well, no comments, so double post it is.
Got some progress done tonight. I made it through two RT Podcasts, so I think now is a good time to slow down.

Knife got spray painted silver, and black/brown washed.Not done painting just yet, but almost.
IMG_1643.JPG

Got the chest pretty much finished. Might add more detail but I'm not sure what else to add.
IMG_1644.JPG
IMG_1645.JPG

There's going to be a belt where my fingers indicate here
IMG_1646.JPG

And then between the belt and the chest there's a mini ab plate thing, so there isn't so much space.

DESTINY COMES OUT IN 3 HOURS.

Well, that's all the progress today.
Thanks!

Gonna go ahead and bump this, AGAIN. Comments, guys.

Anyways, progress. Finished the knife, and got my goggles, so progress on the mask.
IMG_1653.JPG
#hunterselfie

My only concern is that the mask looks almost too big. And also that foam is bendy and doesn't like holding it's shape like I want it to.
IMG_1657.JPG

I'm debating about scrapping the foam and just making the mask out of paper and using the goggles, but the scale could be wrong and I don't want to make it three times in a row. Ugh.
Thoughts? Ideas? Critiques?

Guess who got Thorn?
Got him as a raw cast. Sanded him, painted him, put him together, painted again, and BOOM!
image.jpg

I'm still not totally satisfied with the paint on the little green bits. Might work on those.

Still not sure of two things
1. What cloth to use for cape
2. What to do about the scale on the mask

Help?

Where did you get that? It looks amazing!
1. I would use something satiny, you can just go to a fabric store and tell them you want a sort of shiny fabric to make a cape out of.
2. I think the scale of the mask looks fine, once you add the shoulders into the picture. But if you think it's too big, then it might be. Agreed that the foam is bendy, try and fix that.

Other than that, looks like great work so far!

Where did you get that? It looks amazing!
1. I would use something satiny, you can just go to a fabric store and tell them you want a sort of shiny fabric to make a cape out of.
2. I think the scale of the mask looks fine, once you add the shoulders into the picture. But if you think it's too big, then it might be. Agreed that the foam is bendy, try and fix that.

Other than that, looks like great work so far!
Bought the raw cast of thorn from the great guys over at Impact Props!

1. Ehhh I wasn't thinking shiny, but probably something more rugged...
2. Thanks for the input on the scale! I think i'm gonna work on other stuff and see if someone makes a hunter mask pep file for foam before I make it.

Thanks!

There are multiple Hunter mask files, there's one in the link in my sig, and one that Rundown made.

About the cloak: yeah, that works. In that category, I'd just let the people at the fabric store help you. they know a lot about fabrics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back