couple questions for cnc users

Status
Not open for further replies.

soul products

So my college theatre shop just dropped 40 grand on a new cnc machine and things are kind of slow going. We are slowly figuring everything out but we're having trouble in the 3d department. The process seems way to over complicated for what it is and what other machines are capable of. I guess my question is, is there a way to import a model into the cnc's software and "click go" without all the fuss of setting the cut paths?
Some 3d printers I've seen do just that, import a model, position and press go, so I figured why couldnt this machine do the same seeing as how the overall concept is roughly the same.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The programs we are using are: really any 3d modeling software though for the moment what we have is sketchup and vectorworks, aspire is the machine's software and the machine is an 8x8 shopsabre.
Again, any help would be greatly appreciated

So my college theatre shop just dropped 40 grand on a new cnc machine and things are kind of slow going. We are slowly figuring everything out but we're having trouble in the 3d department. The process seems way to over complicated for what it is and what other machines are capable of. I guess my question is, is there a way to import a model into the cnc's software and "click go" without all the fuss of setting the cut paths?
Some 3d printers I've seen do just that, import a model, position and press go, so I figured why couldnt this machine do the same seeing as how the overall concept is roughly the same.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The programs we are using are: really any 3d modeling software though for the moment what we have is sketchup and vectorworks, aspire is the machine's software and the machine is an 8x8 shopsabre.
Again, any help would be greatly appreciated
Now I don't know much about CNC machines but I do know a lot about 3d printers. They do have very similar parts but the concept of getting your end product is quite different. CNC machines have to take away material, where 3d printers only have to build, also CNC machines have a selection of bits that you need to swap out, and of course each bit is a different shape and has a different purpose, where a printer only has one tool to do everything.

I have been getting into modeling for 3d printers and plan on building one very soon, and I must say that its quite easy, but that's because when it's printed it's built from the ground up with a path made by the slicing program.

I'm going to look into CNC machines more but for now I can tell you that there's no way to just take a model and expect it to carve it out.

Now I don't know much about CNC machines but I do know a lot about 3d printers. They do have very similar parts but the concept of getting your end product is quite different. CNC machines have to take away material, where 3d printers only have to build, also CNC machines have a selection of bits that you need to swap out, and of course each bit is a different shape and has a different purpose, where a printer only has one tool to do everything.

I have been getting into modeling for 3d printers and plan on building one very soon, and I must say that its quite easy, but that's because when it's printed it's built from the ground up with a path made by the slicing program.

I'm going to look into CNC machines more but for now I can tell you that there's no way to just take a model and expect it to carve it out.

Yeah I understand the differences between how the two machines work (subtraction/addition of material). When I said they are similar I meant that they both work off of a xyz axis system with an arm that travels across those axis. The only difference between the machines that I can clearly see (granted im sure there's so much I dont know obviously) is the hardware. If you take away the nozle of a 3d printer and the spindle of a cnc, they are practically the same machine. Iguess thats why I dont understand why cnc is so much more complicated

Yeah I understand the differences between how the two machines work (subtraction/addition of material). When I said they are similar I meant that they both work off of a xyz axis system with an arm that travels across those axis. The only difference between the machines that I can clearly see (granted im sure there's so much I dont know obviously) is the hardware. If you take away the nozle of a 3d printer and the spindle of a cnc, they are practically the same machine. Iguess thats why I dont understand why cnc is so much more complicated

It's because you are using bits to carve out your shape and not building it from the ground up by adding material in very small amounts layer by layer. So with that said, how is the machine supposed to know what shape of bit it has? or what curve to run that specific bit on? Or how much material it can remove at once? Or what way to rotate the bit? Or what speed to move the bit so you don't get tearout? All these thing have to be addressed before you can do anything. Unlike 3D printers where you set it up to program that you are using, everything will run smoothly and you will be able to print whatever model that follows certain rules. Now how it prepares the model for printing is easy, take the model and slice it into many layers and use the inner volume of the model to make an outline for the program to print, now with that data, it's very easy for the software to add patterns for infill and support material.

Now for a CNC machine you have to define how it will take away material, and to do this you have to make paths for the bit to follow using a model as reference some what. But hey if you can think of a better way of doing it, please tell.

You have a very nice machine. Aspire works awesome for 2d work but you need Cut 3D for 3d stuff. It is made by the same company, Vectric. I use it all the time. I'm also a machinist in the day time. Let me know if you have more questions.

You have a very nice machine. Aspire works awesome for 2d work but you need Cut 3D for 3d stuff. It is made by the same company, Vectric. I use it all the time. I'm also a machinist in the day time. Let me know if you have more questions.

This. Good programs. Another good one is MeshCAM http://www.grzsoftware.com/ .
You need to know a few machine parameters and have some domain knowledge, but basic router operation is less complex in many ways than 3d printers.. sometimes even more reliable. If you have a machine with decent torque, you can produce stuff in a nice, sandable material, or even at a fine finish level right off the bat.

Like Vrogy said, I use Max Cam which is hard to find but getting it to work takes some practice along with math and trial and error eventually it will get easier the hardest thing is getting the layers set up correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back