Fibreglass Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foozy2549

Hey! I've nearly completed fibreglass-ing the inside of my helmet. Is one layer usually enough? Feels pretty solid with just one layer.

What's next? Am I correct that I should NOT fibreglass the outside and move straight on to using bondo on the outside?

You should not fiberglass the outside. Bondo and rondo are the only things you should place on the outside. You can do a second layer of glass on the inside if you choose. When you bondo and rondo the outside SMALL amounts of bondo and working on small sections at a time is your friend. Do not try to bondo the full outside at a clip. It will not turn out as well as you wish.

Yeah one layer of fiberglass should do the trick, remember that you will have bodo on the outside to strengthen it more.

If you haven't already done a layer of just resin on the outside, I would recommend doing it before bodoing, to help hold down the paper.

Usually you would do a layer of resin on the outside to strengthen it before doing anything on the inside.

Thanks guys. Yes resin on the outside was the first thing I did :)

I've never worked with Bondo or anything similar so thanks for the tips, hopefully it works out :)

Watch. All of it. And watch the others. Patience is your friend.

@Cereal Kill3r will save you more headaches and questions than you can imagine , and the man has made some incredible videos for us to learn from. You may learn to do things a bit different, but these videos will save you so many hours of learning it's not even funny.

Last edited by a moderator:
my helmet is done with glassing on the inside and is ready for bondo but what do i do with the inside of the helmet with all the fiberglass around? should i do a light cout of rondo to smoth everything down?

ReaversGun A light coat of rondo does help smooth things out. It is how we finished my husbands helmet inside.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually apply the rondo first. This way, all the tiny crevices get filled, so no air pockets. Also, with a layer of rondo down, the interior is smoother, making it easier to apply a layer of fiberglass.

The way I lay my fiberglass is by brushing on a bit of resin to the inside, laying down a dry strip of fiberglass cloth (about 2" x 4"), then using the brush to dab the cloth down into the wet resin, adding in a bit more resin as needed. By laying down the fiberglass cloth dry, my fingers never get any resin on them, and handling the cloth is much easier (I used to dip the cloth into a reservoir of resin, then lay it down into the piece, very messy process).

Another question for you pepakura savvy people! When applying my Bondo to the outside of the helmet (which I should hopefully start tomorrow) do I Bondo over the temporary pepakura visor or not as obviously this is going to be cut out.

You can, but if you're just going to cut it out later, it's a waste of material. The only way this would make sense is if you're going to use it as a vacuforming bucking later on. If you plan on using something like a motorcycle helmet visor, then just bondo around it, and cut it out later.

Yeah I'm thinking of just using a motorcycle helmet or something similar so will just avoid it. That's why I was asking as I did think it'd be a waste of material and be a shame to put work into something that is intended to be removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back