Halo Killer? I think not!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
Just finished the main storyline in Destiny and I have to say, while it was a mildly entertaining game, it had NONE of the elements that have made Halo the juggernaut that it is today. I have heard again and again that Destiny was going to be a "halo killer" and that Bungie has a 10 year plan for Destiny. Well... I am just not seeing it. The game play was somewhat fun but VERY VERY repetitive and the story line... oh wait... what story line? Characters? Not a single one that was memorable on any level. No one to identify with or feel connected to. For me this game was utterly forgettable. Am I the only one?

Personally I'd say it's a bit early (barely over a week since release) to start giving any kind of final opinions on Destiny and the future of the game/franchise (there's still two more expansions at the very least).

Honestly the only real disappointment I've felt over Destiny is the lack of custom/non-matchmaking competitive multiplayer. After over a decade with Halo one would think Bungie would be the last developer to ever underestimate the value and/or importance of giving players a more "casual" game experience. I've heard others complain about the lack of storyline, but in a way I kind of like that about Destiny. Gives it a bit more of a "real world" feel, because let's face it, not everyone we interact with, even those who play potentially important roles in our lives (employers, teachers, co-workers, etc.) will always give us a feel of something big or exciting as we come away from that conversation. Halo was an epic tale crammed into a tiny little box of a world (relatively speaking). DEstiny is the mirror opposite, not so big on story, but massive on real estate scope. Plus the whole thing has a more dynamic feel to it. It's not just "go down this hall, clear this room, go down another hall, push this button." You could be trucking along and then out of nowhere "Hey, the Fallen just dropped a Walker on your head, you might want to do something about that."

As for the "Halo killer," I've said it before, Halo was already put on its death bed by 343 and the massive flop that was Halo 4 and how they handled the whole mess. Is Destiny the "Halo killer?" If Halo was as strong as it was when Bungie was at the helm, certainly not. Will Destiny be the Halo euthanizer? A coup de grace? That is a distinct possibility. We'll have to see whether or not 343 redeem themselves with Guardians. The MCC is meaningless. It is not a 343 accomplishment, it's just a bit of spit and polish on Bungie's monument. I mean really, all they're doing is a graphical update with really absolutely nothing new being added. It would take a special brand of total incompetence to screw that up. So Halo 5 is the real test. All I can say is I don't hold out much hope for anything spectacular from the 343 camp, and I am far more interested in finding out what my Warlock can do when I finally reach level 30 than I ever was about what would await a level 130 Spartan IV, because really, the level progression of EVERY Halo title has ultimately been meaningless, good only for achievements and unlocking aesthetic content that quite honestly should have been available right from the get go.

No, you're not alone. We thought the same Liz and I. It was quite repetitive, but yes...it has the Bungie/Halo control feel. But I do not believe it is a Halo Killer. It's a fun game to play with a couple friends and go romp around, but it isn't the story of Halo by any stretch, not do I like that I have to reach a certain level to play multiplayer. Bungie's answer was that "it is so everyone is on an even playing field, and no one gets throttled by more experienced and level'd players... Well that still will occur will it not?!

I think that it was a solid game, but definitely not worth all of the hype built up around it. It's definitely no Halo-killer for me. The story was weak and could have been so much better, the multiplayer reminds me of Halo 4's multiplayer which I hated, and things are pretty repetitive. That being said, I still find the game to be fun, and will probably play it until the Master Chief Collection comes out.

DEstiny is the mirror opposite, not so big on story, but massive on real estate scope."

Massive real estate? Well, yes, technically we do have many worlds to explore... oh wait... no... not really. We just keep running down the exact same pathes on those worlds because each world only has one small map that we play again and again and again. This is one of the crushing disappointments for me. I thought we would see vasts different worlds and actually be provided many experiences in those worlds, but that isn't really what we are being given. It is like the illusion of real estate, but as you so perfectly stated, the reality of Destiny is that each world is actually a pretty small and repetitive box.

Halo was already put on its death bed by 343 and the massive flop that was Halo 4 and how they handled the whole mess.

I have seen this repeated by several people. What is it that you didn't like in Halo 4? I actually liked it a lot and thought it was a great game? What was handled so poorly that we see so much hate for it?

Will Destiny be the Halo euthanizer? A coup de grace? That is a distinct possibility.

Based on this game? Never going to happen.

We'll have to see whether or not 343 redeem themselves with Guardians. The MCC is meaningless. It is not a 343 accomplishment, it's just a bit of spit and polish on Bungie's monument.

So... is the issue here more about Bungie and 343 than the Halo franchise itself? Why do you care so much about who the producer is or who made what? I wouldn't call MCC meaningless by a long shot. It is going to introduce the legacy Halo world to a whole new generation of gamers. Sure... it won't be as big as a brand new release, but this is about Halo as a franchise, not 343 vs Bungie. Why are you so stuck on that point?

All I can say is I don't hold out much hope for anything spectacular from the 343 camp, and I am far more interested in finding out what my Warlock can do when I finally reach level 30 than I ever was about what would await a level 130 Spartan IV, because really, the level progression of EVERY Halo title has ultimately been meaningless, good only for achievements and unlocking aesthetic content that quite honestly should have been available right from the get go.

I am only at level 17 but right now, the progression seems to be simply one of "move up so you can get bigger guns so you can fight the same enemies that we have now made more difficult." Doesn't seem to be much beyond that.

Not to mention that 343 Industries is pretty much the ENTIRE staff that created Combat Evolved... So the people "spit and polishing" The Master Chief Collection are the same people that made the game practically. So now instead they are just bringing the first incarnations up to speed visually with the times.

Destiny is terrific. Now that I said it here goes. A brand new game takes a lot of work granted however, What was being worked on? Story is not great. Mind numbing mini grinder missions (boarderlands). Random low grade rewards for engrams. Unskipable cut scenes. I love the dynamics but it's overwhelming at first. It would have made more sense to only let you view what you can get at least until level 15. I'm sure it will get better and better. Hands down it's the best New game. Still early to review, but I hope they are taking notes on what to change.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

I was really hyped for it to be out. But after reading all the reviews, is it still worth playing?
The only reason I didn't get it yet is because I'm running on a very limited data plan out here in the sticks, and I didn't think I'll even have enough data to spend on it.

I always loved Halo because of the environments/mix of tech/art style/soundtrack/flow (can't seem to remember what you call all of this, aesthetic?) and of course story. And I was really hoping that destiny could be the same but from what I read it looks like it's off to a bad start. can you see any future potential for the game?

I have to agree with Zaff, I think this may not quite be a Halo Killer, but I've enjoyed playing Destiny quite a lot, and 343 had certainly be taking notes. Games are changing, Halo needs to keep up. Their Halo 4 experience was regrettably unmemorable, and though pretty, I never really remember feeling floored by it the way the other 5 Halo games did for me. Destiny offers a large world/worlds, and though spawn points may be repetitive, you're looking at several updates and expansions coming in the coming months, never mind the daily and weekly challenges, that will bring gamers back. The customization is fantastic, the story is a VERY quick fix if they want to make that happen, and I don't think the environment and ambiance is in anyway inferior to any Halo title. This is an incredible game, and while Halo will always have a place in my heart, I think you'll find people have a better more well rounded experience playing the co-op or PvP games that Destiny offers for far longer than they have with any Halo game in the past. At least since ODST's fire fight mode, which God-only knows how many hours I gave to those missions...

My only complain about Destiny is the PvP. No big maps. I like Big Team. Period. All you hallway shotty-snipers can do what ever you want, I want vehicles, wide open environments that challenge players to use the environment to their advantage, and interactive aspects to make things interesting. Destiny's PvP sucks. Cramped and chaotic. Not a fan personally. I know others are though. The PvP is the biggest Destiny disappointment in my book.

Killer? We shall see. Contender? Without a doubt. 343 needs to look forward with Halo 5, something it sounds like they are doing with the MC collection, and taking their findings seriously after Halo 4 performed so poorly and so may players walked away from the game so quickliy. I personally went back to BF3 rather quickly as I found it to be much more fun and balanced.

We shall see...

Art Andrews said:
Massive real estate? Well, yes, technically we do have many worlds to explore... oh wait... no... not really. We just keep running down the exact same paths on those worlds because each world only has one small map that we play again and again and again. This is one of the crushing disappointments for me. I thought we would see vasts different worlds and actually be provided many experiences in those worlds, but that isn't really what we are being given. It is like the illusion of real estate, but as you so perfectly stated, the reality of Destiny is that each world is actually a pretty small and repetitive box.

The Temple of Crota (the actual temple itself, not the myriad of paths necessary to get to the temple) is equal in size to any single Halo mission, and it is only PART of ONE mission on ONE world. But if you want to run the "small repetitive box" routine, I have two words for you: Spartan Ops. 50 missions, maybe all of 6 maps?

Art Andrews said:
I have seen this repeated by several people. What is it that you didn't like in Halo 4? I actually liked it a lot and thought it was a great game? What was handled so poorly that we see so much hate for it?

As I, personally, have mentioned before, there's the 75% DOA rate for Halo 4. Literally half of the units sold were completely useless, neither disc did anything. Of the other half, 50% had an issue with ONE of the discs not functioning, thus the game was still entirely unplayable. 75%. Name one other game launch in the history of the industry that met so massive a launch day failure rate. And how did 343 handle it? "You'll just have to buy another copy." Not "Oh damn, we screwed the pooch big time, let us replace that worthless garbage WE put out with something that actually works." Nope. "Buy a new one." No wonder Halo 4 was the "highest selling Halo game ever." There's more, but really, that alone was the most massive "F- you all we still got paid" I have EVER witnessed from ANY developer, so really, there doesn't need to be any more for me to say 343 blew it, and they have one hell of a mountain to climb if they want to redeem themselves.

But you know, let's go ahead and dive a little deeper. Spartan Ops: same half a dozen maps replayed ad nauseum. Matchmaking: worst lag I have ever experienced on any Halo 360 title I have ever played (and aside from Halo Wars, I've played them all). Join in progress: Great on paper, but the reality is 99 times out of 100 it will shove me into the last 8 seconds (minus 5 for the loadout selection countdown) on the losing side, will wait until one team is fully filled before adding anyone to the other team rather than filling the ranks in an even manner (leading to the majority of the match being one-sided) and there is no "opt out" option so you can spend literally hours in that quagmire and never even once get to vote on a map, gametype, or even get any indication of what is going on until...oh, wait, the match is over, what did we just play again? Doesn't matter, we lost. Campaign: walk down this hall, push a button, walk down that hall, kill a pre-set group of enemies, push another button, walk down another hall, repeat ad nauseum. No exploration, no openness in the sand box, no matter where you are you have to stick to this narrow corridor. And you want to complain about Destiny's lack of storyline? I spent all of Halo 4 asking "why are we still fighting the Covenant? We killed their top Prophets, the Brutes have made themselves universally despised, the Elites figured out just how badly they'd been played for saps the entire time and said "screw this, we're taking our bal land going home," the jackals are just mercenaries, and the grunts never wanted to be there in the first place." Then comes the Didact ("who the hell is the Didact?") and the Prometheans ("This franchise has been around for over a decade, why was there never any mention of these apparently very prolific war machines anywhere before this?"). About 6 months after release, people finally started saying "oh, if you read all these other novels things start to make sense." A slow clap to the marketing scrubs at 343, you found another way to gouge money from our pockets. "Buy these books at $10-15 a pop and you'll finally understand this game you've already spent $100+ on." And that's another thing, and I've mentioned this before. The cost of Halo 4, plus the map pass (cheaper than buying the three map packs separately), the CHampions Bundle: $105. If you sprung for the Limited Edition, $110. And for that price you get ONE retailer exclusive IF you managed to secure a preorder from a participating retailer. There were 15 retailer exclusives. 15. Name one other game, or even an entire franchise, that had that many different retailer exclusives. I'll bet you can't, because no other developer has been that big of a jerkwad (self censoring, the terms I'd choose would not be so polite). The forums quite literally exploded with outrage and complaints, and rightly so, I did the math and if you wanted to have every scrap of content you would need to spend over $400 on 6 copies of the same game (at least one of them being the Limited Edition), $900 if you wanted the console and the Fotus armor that came with it, and one of those copies would have to come from New Zealand and thus would be utterly useless here in the states. And when all this fecal matter hit the fan (or rather, was dumped all over the FANS) 343 responded like a gaggle of politicians, not a group of fan-minded video game developers, and said "we will make this content early-access only and we will release it all to the many fans who have supported us at a later time." Well, when "a later time" came around, it was not the fans who supported 343's efforts that reaped the benefits. No, everything that we spent $100+ on (and then some) was packaged up in the GOTY and marketed to those who did NOT support 343 in any way. And what was 343 doing during that year in between? Not addressing day one issues that STILL persist two years later, not addressing the numerous complaints about the many ways Halo 4 was lacking. No, they spent it marketing more books, and Master Chief snowboards, and the "comprehensive visual guide to Halo 4" which was the very picture of arrogant self-importance, as the last visual guide encompassed EVERY Halo game leading up to that point. Who the hell did 343 think they were that they needed a whole new visual guide for ONE GAME and that this was so much more important than making sure that ONE GAME actually WORKED?

Oh, and did I mention this monstrosity sucks up a whopping 15+ Gigs of hard drive space for what little it actually delivers? What does all that go to? Graphics, which Destiny delivers in spades for less than half the hard drive space.

Art Andrews said:
Based on this game? Never going to happen.
Minor correction: based on the first WEEK of the release of the FIRST game in a NEW franchise which already has at least TWO expansions providing MORE missions MORE maps, MORE equipment, MORE events/strikes/raids and MORE content overall and quite possibly may only be the first of several updates/expansions and we've only had the very first taste of Bungie's announced plans for the upcoming month, much less what they plan to do over the course of the DECADE LONG commitment they have made to this franchise. Who predicted Halo's success in the first week of CE's release? Nobody. Even Bungie felt they were on thin ice and didn't expect to see even a fraction of the success that their franchise has enjoyed.

Art Andrews said:
So... is the issue here more about Bungie and 343 than the Halo franchise itself? Why do you care so much about who the producer is or who made what? I wouldn't call MCC meaningless by a long shot. It is going to introduce the legacy Halo world to a whole new generation of gamers. Sure... it won't be as big as a brand new release, but this is about Halo as a franchise, not 343 vs Bungie. Why are you so stuck on that point?

The reason I said MCC counts for nothing is because it is NOT 343's handiwork. If I want to prove that I can create a successful NEW chapter or expand a concept and take it to NEW heights, rehashing and "prettying up" the OLD does not prove anything. We already KNOW Halo 1, 2, and 3 are massive successes. Ergo the MCC can not be used as any measure of how well 343 will handle the franchise moving forward, because there is no forward motion. "Bringing the classics to a new generation" is nice, but again, it is nothing that THEY did. The "Special Editions" didn't make Star Wars a huge hit, it was already a huge hit.

Art Andrews said:
I am only at level 17 but right now, the progression seems to be simply one of "move up so you can get bigger guns so you can fight the same enemies that we have now made more difficult." Doesn't seem to be much beyond that.

New weapons, new armor, new abilities, new perks to tweak your character to suit your playing style, new missions, new game types, new features, new public/social playlists and events. Yea, sure, "nothing beyond a bigger gun to shoot the same enemies with." I reached level 22 before I even finished the Earth missions. Was there a bit of "repetition" in there? Sure. I spent hours on patrol. Did I expect something more? No. Why? Hello! RPG! Ever play one of those before? Grinding is as much a part of every RPG element as.. well, as much as shooting is a part of shooters. But I tell you what, I'd rather spend the next two months patrolling the Cosmodrome then, say spending the next SIX months trying to rack up 1500 kills with a freaking plasma pistol just to be 7% close to unlocking ONE piece of purely aesthetic armor or worse yet, a logo that I would never use! *cough* Halo 4 *cough cough* You want to complain about grinding repetition, at least Destiny gives some kind of purpose behind it that actually affects gameplay rather than having to spend countless days, weeks, even months doing the exact same thing hundreds if not thousands of times for what amounts to absolutely nothing and serves absolutely no purpose.

I will not stand here and say that Destiny right now is better than the sum total of Halo, but I will firmly state that Destiny put bullet between the eyes of the lame duck that was Halo 4, so in essence when it comes to Halo, what Bungie's latest did not defeat was Bungie's classic. Bungie did not destroy its own legacy, but it most certainly laid waste to the tattered remains of what 343 has made of it.

So, again, the vast majority of your issue has very little to do with the story or game play itself and more to do with corporate politics and a perception of customer service.

Interesting.

I also find it interesting to see so many people's devotion to Bungie and hate for 343 and allowing that hate for 343 as a company to color their perception of the series.

MCC isn't about 343 or about what 343 is or isn't doing. It is about continuing to enhance the Halo story-line. When we acquired the 405th, I bought ALL of the Halo games and out of all of them, Halo 2 was the hardest to play, I hope due to it being an original XBox game. I am very much looking forward to seeing an updated version that won't make me motion sick. Does it matter to me who created the game or who revamped the game? Not at all. This isn't about the particular company who created it but about the game itself. The story was good and I am very much looking forward to seeing it in an updated format!

Ghost brings up another good point: customization. When I play a game, I want to play as "me," not some one else's pre-made, completely unchangeable character. I want to make my own choices, be able to see those choices have some effect. Destiny allows for that not only with various armor choices that varied looks with the same perks and stats (don't have to sacrifice gameplay for style), as well as gender, race, class, weapon style, and with at least 52 available shaders, color choices. That's one reason why Halo Reach ranks as one of my favorite Halo games of all time. You not only had customization, you actually got to SEE that customization in-game through cutscenes and once again delivered all of that for less than half the drive space as Halo 4 (I really, really cannot fathom why Halo 4 needs 15GB and yet delivers so pitifully compared to every other Halo game).

And yes, Art, I do take the "politics" and customer interaction into consideration. I'm what you cal la "big picture" guy. I'm not one of these types who says "I don't care if they're defiling my every orifice in numerous and degrading ways so long as their product is nice and shiny." Customer service and customer interaction is what separates a company from a great or even simply a good company. If they're screwing over their customers, they don't deserve to get any business, because let's face it, they're NOT the only option out there.

But you seem to be completely ignoring the mountainous dung-heap of GAME SPECIFIC problems. I haven't just been ranting about what I think of 343, I've had plenty to say about how screwed up the game itself was (not the least of which and what should be a big, honking, glaringly obnoxious red flag to EVERYONE is, once again, 75% "Dead on Arrival" rate at launch!) Seriously, what more do you need for "game related failure" than that? If an automotive company had a 75% DOA rate, they'd not only be shut down, they'd be sued into the stone age by unhappy customers demanding full reimbursement of their cost plus extra for the inconvenience. The same would go for a computer company, or a housing contractor, or absolutely ANY business of any kind anywhere in the world. They'd be done. Finished. Cooked. Boned. Buried beneath an insurmountable pile of customer complaints from which they will never see the light of day for the rest of their natural born days. But Halo fans are cool people. We took it all in stride and simply said "We want this, so fix it and make it work." Overall how did 343 respond? "All hail the greatness that is us! We are so successful! Look how many units we've sold! Pat us on the back and then bow before our awesomeness!" When complaints kept pouring in? "It must be your system/tv/fault somehow because we did awesome work here." Yea, that's getting back into the "politics" of it, but the fact remains that Halo 4, as a game, died on its feet at launch and only went down hill after that.

I'm on board with Art on this, I am highly disappointed with Destiny and will probably be trading it in sooner rather than later. I feel like this game was cheaped on by bungie because it lacks depth of any sort at all and the story is awful. Just to be clear on one point too, I do not buy games for their competitive multiplayer so the multiplayer does not factor into my stance at all. I feel that a game that has been in development for as long as destiny has been needs to be better from the get go. I do not care about the game getting better and getting DLC because I am sick of having to pay extra for a "full game". If a game isn't a finished product then don't release the game until it is finished. Destiny has no soul to the gameplay, it is very boring. I will close with something I remember bungie talking about some years ago, halo has a "30 seconds of fun" aspect to the game that you have over and over again while playing through the game. Destiny completely lacks this and is just a slog to play through.

At this point me thinks the only thing I'm upset about is the length of the story.
I was just happily playing through then bam.. end o story HereHaveThisNiceRifle
As the others have said, the depth there was missing a bit of whatever was needed to make it really something worth playing.

Going to be a tad mad if it just becomes another COD style 'you must buy this to keep up to date' piles of poop.

With that said I've enjoyed playing the strikes and stuff with my partner.. So it's not an entirely lost cause for me, yet.

I'm a multi playing fool. My fun is rooted in co-op and matchmaking. My wife and I play together. My son and his friends play together. Other than lack of split screen co-op and only three in a fire team they hit the playing with others factor out of the park. Also I do not enjoy playing this game solo. However halo I did due to the fact of interesting support characters.

And yes, Art, I do take the "politics" and customer interaction into consideration. I'm what you cal la "big picture" guy. I'm not one of these types who says "I don't care if they're defiling my every orifice in numerous and degrading ways so long as their product is nice and shiny." Customer service and customer interaction is what separates a company from a great or even simply a good company. If they're screwing over their customers, they don't deserve to get any business, because let's face it, they're NOT the only option out there.

It is certainly an interesting perspective. I suppose I can separate the two, still acknowledging that Halo is a great game/series whether the company who made it is great or not. I look at Assassin's Creed that way. Ubisoft annoys me to no end and their political correctness is absolutely absurd... but, despite those things, they produce a great game and I can love the game for what it is despite the fact that the company who produces it leaves something to be desired.

(not hte least of which and what should be a big, honking, glaringly obnoxious red flag to EVERYONE is, once again, 75% "Dead on Arrival" rate at launch! Seriously, what more do you need for "game related failure" than that? If an automotive company had a 75% DOA rate, they'd not only be shut down, they'd be sued into the stone age by unhappy customers demanding full reimbursement of their cost plus extra for the inconvenience.

Is there some type of documentation on this? I have to believe if the DOA rate was even a fraction of that and 343 took the approach you claim that there would have been a very public Class Action Suit against them.

But Halo fans are cool people. We took it all in stride and simply said "We want this, so fix it and make it work." Overall how did 343 respond? "All hail the greatness that is us! We are so successful! Look how many units we've sold! Pat us on the back and then bow before our awesomeness!" When complaints kept pouring in? "It must be your system/tv/fault somehow because we did awesome work here." Yea, that's getting back into the "politics" of it, but the fact remains that Halo 4, as a game, died on its feet at launch and only went down hill after that.

Halo fans might be cool but lawyers are not. Please link me to some evidence of this as those numbers are just hard to imagine.

I do not care about the game getting better and getting DLC because I am sick of having to pay extra for a "full game". If a game isn't a finished product then don't release the game until it is finished.

WHA?!?!? No. no. no. Bungie would never do that! You are thinking of 343... the big evil company. Bungie would NEVER push out an incomplete game and promise to make it whole if you would just wait and pay them more money for the add-ons. Just ask Zaff! ;)

Last edited:
I'm a multi playing fool. My fun is rooted in co-op and matchmaking. My wife and I play together. My son and his friends play together. Other than lack of split screen co-op and only three in a fire team they hit the playing with others factor out of the park. Also I do not enjoy playing this game solo. However halo I did due to the fact of interesting support characters.

I finally hit level 19 last night and started playing bounty missions with a friend. It was actually kind of fun although it seemed more like the gaming was a background event while he and I chatted.

I finally hit level 19 last night and started playing bounty missions with a friend. It was actually kind of fun although it seemed more like the gaming was a background event while he and I chatted.

YES! Games have been in my blood since arcade day's. I think there are different types of gamers. I enjoyed playing Galaga with another person versus Street Fighter with another person. I just enjoyed getting a much higher score than the person I'm playing against. That type of gameplay has always appealed to me.

I can remember the first game that opened up my eyes was combat on Atari. That type of one-on-one competitive gameplay was groundbreaking for me. I really enjoy the strike missions I'm about to hit a raid pretty hard. Those types of slaughter all the AI you can definitely appeal to me. Hao Spartan Ops great add on to Halo 4 however Destiny's strikes and raids way better. Firefights definitely take 4th place for me I don't like that canned shooting environment, public events are kinda the same. At least you can come and go as you please.

Zaff
Wow, why so much hate on 343?

I never heard of a "75% "Dead on Arrival" rate at launch!" problem. Also 15GB of data on your hard drive? thats not right. I don't even have a hard drive, so I installed it on a flash drive with a 8GB partition just for the 360, I'll have to check but I know it is taking up about 4-5 GB of data and thats all. Map packs will only take up an additional 300 or so MB. You have to keep in mind that games nowadays are running about 30 or so gigs and thats for PC, you try jamming that onto 2 dvds, and then only install one which can not contain more than around 8 gigs. And I know that Halo 4 is not using that much data.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back