Build my first MC suit and I have a few ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

elementfx

So I was looking for advice on how to build a MC suit so ya I am here.
Anyway I downloaded a ton of .pdo files and have already built a few. I have also looked at a few ways to make them more custom and please feel free to shoot down or steal my idea use it and it does not work so I don't waste my time or cash :)

The helmet:
The face plate I am going to cut the two parts I need out of two bike helmets and hot knife the two together so I don't have a raging gap or off set like I have seen with people that have tried this, by the way it is amazing im just tweaking it. Also with the helmet LED lights before the padding and a magnetic connection for the wires that will lead to a battery pack in the suit. I will use 4 LED's where the flash lights are on the original and then some plex glass to water proof it, Run my wires then put magnetic volt connections leading into the suit. Also I am going to try and make an app for my Google glass that will give me a real life HUD until I can get my hands on a program to make a hud on the face plate then I will put in a O LED flex screen in this bad boy.

The forearms
I like lights you will see that quick. I am going to add light tape in the forearm on the back so I get a demonic looking dark glow that will say yeah don't mess with this guy. They will also run under the padding to the battery pack

The gloves:
I love the look of the halo 2 gloves it brings back the sweet memory of playing halo till 5 and hearing my alarm yelling wake up! Any way. I was looking for some advice on what gloves will look the best under the halo 2 plate I am making.

Legs and boots:
Is it best to build a thigh and shin guard or the boot and the shin guard together and the thigh its own. Also I was looking at using a dryer vent to connect them and painting it black with the green and weathering the **** out of it make it look real. Also what boots have you used. Combat, High tops, Work boots.

The belt:
This is where I want some of the electrical magic to happen. I have my phone on my at all times due to work so I was going to create an app for the calls and whole interface to make it look it part of the suit such as a map with google earth ect. Also this is where I am looking at placing the battery pack to make it look like the nuke from halo 4. So the biggest issue is hiding the wire. I was thinking padding but how do you all feel about carbon fiber over the wires? I can make it work and it will be safe I have done it before so don't jump the gun with safety!

The chest :

This is where all of the wires will come together and mount into a toggle box that will be hidden in the suit. Also I am doing carbon fiber but I would like to add some weight to this thing so would it be better to pack on the resin or layer some fiber glass and build the layers like no tomorrow? The suit will also have a red yellow set of LED's on the back to give the effect of a hot glow on the indents in the square vents. Also on the fount of the chest I have a guy working on a UNSC logo led so it will project that image on the ground when I am walking so I am adding a device to see how fast I am moving to trigger the hot glow or the UNSC logo. Also in the chest I am adding light detection to turn on and off the helmet LED's and the glow on the forearms to bright dark or off.

Thanks again for reading can't wait for responses good bad or ugly...

Update:
Just got the pep work done on the shin and left thigh. Also added a glue cote to the shin to help when adding resin. Pics when I figure out how to upload :)

Sounds like a great plan but most of your plans sounds like they'll come after the armor is built. I had something similar in mind but once I started building, I realize the complexity of some of the things I wanted to do so I just pushed them aside since building the armor in general takes a loooonnnngggg time. There's no wrong or right way to do it since it's a learning process so my advice is to take it one piece at a time. Just my 2 cents.

Cant wait to see the carbon fiber when done. I always thought a whole carbon fiber suit would be awesome. Do you want to add weight so the wires dont make it unbalanced?

The wires are going to be a high gauge or aka thin. I am worried about covering the wires but I think the padding will do the trick. The reason I want to add the weight is so it feels like I am gearing up with a real chest plate or my own personal satisfaction you could say.

Sounds like you've got a decent plan set up (though I've heard many people talk about the OLED thing for a HUD, all to no avail).

I urge you to take a look at other builds floating around the forums. Off the top of my head, Longshot-X's, MacAttack's, and VShore's builds are very well documented and the quality of each suit is incredible. If you feel so inclined you can look through my own Mk VI build, as I tried to document everything throughout the build (actually, it's still active) as well as provide mini-tutorials solving certain issues along the way (a few of your concerns included).

Thank you; I have looked at a few on the forums before I started this project,LEDS ON WHEN DARK; I just got the led to turn on when it gets dark that was a huge score! I'm looking at what I could use for the under suit and found some sick motor cycle and paint ball gear :) // thank you for the post and as always cheers!

Ok, I want to see the Google Glass app once you get everything done because the HUD would be super awesome.

Ok, I want to see the Google Glass app once you get everything done because the HUD would be super awesome.

Unless you have glass I cant realy send you the app it will not work on Android, glass runs a system called ex or e.x. how ever if you want to google hang out you will see what I am seeing in glass

Unless you have glass I cant realy send you the app it will not work on Android, glass runs a system called ex or e.x. how ever if you want to google hang out you will see what I am seeing in glass

The google hangout would be the way we would have to go. I just haven't gotten myself to pony up for glass yet.

The google hangout would be the way we would have to go. I just haven't gotten myself to pony up for glass yet.

Right now I am just trying to get the main parts done so I can do a Halloween party with the bad boy! After I will start on the dev of the app for the glass and phone. I decided to make rip apart a phone clip and attach it on the right forearm of the suit to display maps battery level via Bluetooth and so on.

Hey all I know it has been a while but I have been doing the programming for the glass and bracer to attach my old s3 as a mini hud for battery life etc. Good to be back on though holidays where a little rockey at geek squad this year. :)

You had asked about gloves in your original post and I don't see that anybody's answered your question. I got a pair of black Gul Mad Grip Pro gloves for my build. The rubber texture pattern on the palm side is close enough without doing up something custom, and their fabric topside gets covered by the hand plate. Just do a Google search for "Gul Mad Grip Pro Black Gloves" to see pictures.

Nice I looked at them and going to see if the bike shop aka motor cycle has something like it. Thank you for responding and great advice!

So I just worked on some fiber glass on the left wrist and pep'ed the first shin. Also have 99.9% of the programming done for the phone and google glass just working out a few bugs with temp and fan controllers. So just to show where I am below :) also if some one can pm how they upload pics with out using the sites built in one that would be epic!

Helm done! One shin peped, one wrist done and one fiber glassed,

Going to try my luck and see how resin works in 23 degree weather tomorrow!

20140929_220359.jpg
Helm after the first metal
20140929_182505.jpg
working on the fiber glass
20140912_020458.jpg
battle rifle shell have the nerf gun to put in it
20150116_031420.jpg
pep work is done and starting the glue shell
20150116_031206.jpg
after the shin glue coat is dry

I found out how to upload photos so please give me some feed back

Update:

Have both of the boots peped and started on the first glue cote:

Also have started a new little project
20150122_230450.jpg

Attachments

• 20150122_230450.jpg
    20150122_230450.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 135
Update:

Starting to pep the right shin and finishing the glue layer on both boot parts so I can start the foam bottoms and locking parts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back