Armour Parts Guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeedlessOfRuin

Hey guys. After reading through lots of threads on the forum, I've noticed that people tend to use a mixture of naming conventions for the parts of armour. As I've done a lot of research into historical armour I thought I'd write up a glossary for everyone with the official names for armour parts. To make things easier to find if you don't already know the terms, I've arranged them from the ground up.

So without further ado...

Armour Glossary:

Foot: Sabaton.

Shin: Greave.

Knee: Knee Cop.

Thigh: Cuisse.

Groin: Codpiece.

Chest: Breastplate and Backplate. Both together are called the Cuirass.

Shoulder: Pauldron if large. Especially small pieces are called Spaulders, but most Halo designs are big enough to be pauldrons.

Bicep: Rerebrace.

Elbow: Couter.

Forearm: Vambrace. This term can also be used to refer to the whole arm armour.

Hand: Gauntlet. These sometimes link to the Vambrace, but it must cover the hand to be a gauntlet.

Head: Helm or Helmet.

I hope this is helpful.

All the best

Zac (1/3 of HeedlessOfRuin).

Bracer tends to be a lighter piece used for archery, whereas vambrace is always a heavier piece that's first function is armour. They are sometimes used interchangably though.

These are terms more often reserved for medieval style armor. I don't think anyone on here has ever referred to the boots as anything other than boots when referring to Halo armor. They generally just talk about the area of the body the piece is meant to cover, really. Knee, shin, boot, thigh, forearm, shoulder, etc. You start saying Sabaton, Cuisse, rerebrace, and couter, nobody is going to have any idea what you're talking about.

The reason I wrote this is because people use a variety of terms, and these are the official armouring terms. Of course people are free to just call it whatever they want, but figured this might be helpful.

As for sabatons/boots I guess generally people aren't making sabatons really, they're making armoured boots which is a subtle distinction but one worth pointing out.

i agree with the others that others may just call it cod piece or boot or stuff, but i find it interesting, even if its medieval names, i have seen those names but never knew what they meant. so thanks for posting this i found it helpful and i learned something new today. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back