Foam or pepakura?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caddycoat

Hello everyone,
Im about ready to start my first build! I have a few friends that have done builds before but I was gonna ask you guys if pepakura is the best way to do it or if foam is a good option as well. i ask this because i worry that ill start a foam build and get quickly overwhelmed, my plan is to make a ODST suit from Halo 3: ODST:)

Both ways have their advantages and disadvantages, That being said you will need to do pep for the helmet using resin and fiber glass so you have a good helmet that looks good. As for the armor a lot of people use foam for this atleast for their 1st builds. ODST armor that is pepped and glassed looks really good but takes time as to not get warped or mis-sized pieces. Foam is more forgiving and I have seen some very detailed sets of foam armor, foam is also lighter to wear. Depending on where you are located foam is fairly reasonably priced.
I do not think you'll be overwhelmed doing foam. As with any method take your time and watch the tutorials and read the stickies, they will help you limit your mistakes and get the most fun out of your completed set of armor.
Have fun and build,build, build.

Squirrelly-ORC (Orsinium Recon Corp)

I'm a returning user, and I'm thinking of doing a new build. I want to do a IronMan suit for Halloween, almost half built. Like in that scene in 3 were he's got an arm and a leg in armor. I'm trying to find the fastest armor making method for this. I have done Pepekura before, I've got an old halo Mark VI MIJOLNIR incomplete, but I can't finish that because I've left that at home. (I'm in college right now) I won't need to do a helmet, and might do half a chest plate and back plate depending on time.

Hello everyone,
Im about ready to start my first build! I have a few friends that have done builds before but I was gonna ask you guys if pepakura is the best way to do it or if foam is a good option as well. i ask this because i worry that ill start a foam build and get quickly overwhelmed, my plan is to make a ODST suit from Halo 3: ODST:)

Hey hun,
I am a professional lurker on the 405th and I do have to say that foam is a little bit more forgiving and typically does not require as much work time or exposure to harsh chemicals. With pepakura, you have to prep it with resin, fiberglass, and bondo but I have also seen people do well with covering it with papermache and worbla though worbla is a thermal plastic and can be very expensive and hard to work with if you are not used to working with that type of material. Foam is light weight, it can be primed and painted, as well as carved down with a dremel which makes for some awesome detail work. As with anything, practice makes perfect and so I would certainly pick a piece or two and see which one fits you best.

I'm a returning user, and I'm thinking of doing a new build. I want to do a IronMan suit for Halloween, almost half built. Like in that scene in 3 were he's got an arm and a leg in armor. I'm trying to find the fastest armor making method for this. I have done Pepekura before, I've got an old halo Mark VI MIJOLNIR incomplete, but I can't finish that because I've left that at home. (I'm in college right now) I won't need to do a helmet, and might do half a chest plate and back plate depending on time.

And Ace, you are almost hijacking someone else's thread. It might be best if you make your own thread and ask for help that way. Its not cool to pin yourself on to someone else's thread without permission. Just saying.....as with anything, both materials are good for different people but they require time and there are pros and cons to them both.

Sorry I just thought that sonce OP had a similar delema, I could sneak a quick question in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back