Visor Help - Recruit Helm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerberoz

Hey guys! I've been watching, reading and learning from 405th for a while. This is my first post. I finally completed the pepakura model of the Recruit helmet. The problem I'm going to have is the visor, so I'm looking for ideas, inspiration, or solutions.

What should I use for the visor? I want something opaque, and the problem I find is that the visor is a very unique shape. Yet I've seen projects that looked fantastic, and the visor just perfect.

Recommendations? :)

Yep, what colbs said. Most folks use replacement motorcycle visors, found on eBay or through other online sources, and trim them to fit into whatever style of helmet they're building.

I use the key words "Motorcycle visor tinted" or "Iridium motorcycle visor" when I do a search for that, so would recommend you do the same to find what you're looking for ;)

Hey Kerberoz, Here's just a little more input for ya. It appears that the recruit lens is almost three pieces (two sides and a front). I would go to a local plastics supplier (or online, whatever is easier) and try to pick up a small piece of clear acrylic or polycarbonate (sometimes referred to as lexan, which is just the brand), either 1/8" or 1/16" thickness, to make those three pieces. Then pop over to good old ebay, and grab some automotive window tinting (you can get small pieces that would be perfect for this) and throw the tint on your lens pieces. As for mounting, if you are very precise, you could mount each lens piece individually and not have to worry about adhering them together. Another option would be to leave your sheet of plastic, and bend it at the right points by either scoring it first (could lead to it cracking though, so be careful), or by heating it and bending it over a sharp edge (like the edge of your work bench, etc.).

grab some automotive window tinting (you can get small pieces that would be perfect for this) and throw the tint on your lens pieces.

Window tint is fairly good, but I'm going to add an addendum here just in case: don't try to apply your window tint to your flat 'net' visor and then bend it - tint roll doesn't tend to stretch very well and you'll end up 'pulling' it from the sides and leaving it looking off (assuming it survives the process).

Personally, I'd suggest heading to eBay and finding some coloured perspex/acrylic to go with your tint roll, form your visor into the shape it's going to be at, and apply your tint roll as a final touch.

Wow, fantastic help! Thanks guys. I think I've got what I need. :) Hoping to get my helmet done for Halloween.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back