Thread: Vaseline as mold release?

so....

i was trying to make a plaster mold, but didnt know what i can use as a mold release. so i was searching for stuff around my house and found vaseline.

is it possible to use vaseline as a mold release? and if so, how much do i have to use?

Yes that can be used. I dont know how much, but im guessing alot seeing how you dont want the plaster th bond with the model

don't do it. It's petrolium jelly and has bad results when mixed with silicon stuff...

edit: oh plaster, yeah that's ok.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Adam @ Nov 29 2007, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>don&#39;t do it. It&#39;s petrolium jelly and has bad results when mixed with silicon stuff...
    edit: oh plaster, yeah that&#39;s ok.</div>

im not useing silicon

im using Plaster as in Plaster of paris to make a mold then a cast then sculpting/detailing it.

EDIT:

ok...
    um, does anyone know about how much(layer) i would need?

im planning to do it in sections like MLC

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rocknrollcows @ Nov 30 2007, 07:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>im not useing silicon

im using Plaster as in Plaster of paris to make a mold then a cast then sculpting/detailing it.
    EDIT:

ok...
    um, does anyone know about how much(layer) i would need?

im planning to do it in sections like MLC</div>

If you want to play it safe, i&#39;d suggest 2 layers, the second layer is just in case you missed any spots during the first layer. Don&#39;t worry about using too much, it can be cleaned off and it won&#39;t hurt the plaster or the resin/fiberglass i&#39;m assuming you&#39;ll be using to make the master out of.

Good luck!

Stay safe,

Tim.
    "Anyone who lives within their means, suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde

http://www.facebook.com/405thTheDevilsOwn

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Halo_1 @ Dec 4 2007, 03:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>If you want to play it safe, i&#39;d suggest 2 layers, the second layer is just in case you missed any spots during the first layer. Don&#39;t worry about using too much, it can be cleaned off and it won&#39;t hurt the plaster or the resin/fiberglass i&#39;m assuming you&#39;ll be using to make the master out of.

Good luck!

Stay safe,

Tim.</div>

yea.

im making the first mold n&#39; cast in plaster then applying detail

then later making the master from fiberglass

or just stick with the original casts and make Vacuforms instead.