Thorssoli's MkVI Costume Buildup

Status
Not open for further replies.

thorssoli

I can't post anywhere but the noob forum yet, so I figure that after a good month of lurking it's time for my first post.

Here's what I've got going so far.

Step one, a low-res model to test for sizing:

MasterChiefPepakuraHelmetv10006.jpg

Step two, a couple of hi-res models because I printed one the wrong size:

Glassing001.jpg

Step three, coat the paper models with fiberglass resin:

Glassing008.jpg

Step four, coat the inside with several layers of urethane casting resin for strength:

Warmstickygoophase003.jpg

Step five, bondo and sand and bondo and sand and bondo and sand:

BondoPhasePartOne007.jpg

Step six, test fit the visor:

BondoPhasePartThree011.jpg

Stay tuned...

thorssoli said:
Step six, test fit the visor:

BondoPhasePartThree011.jpg

Stay tuned...
This looks so.... Shakespearean. :D

Very nice looking work so far. Keep us updated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ral Partha said:
This looks so.... Shakespearean. :D

Yeah, my buddy with the camera said, "Now you need to do that 'Alas poor Yorick.' pose." I'm glad it translated well.

I was thinking that too!

This looks awesome! Top notch bondo work :)

(I also really like that jacket 'Senor Juan' ;D )

Vexona said:
I was thinking that too!

This looks awesome! Top notch bondo work :)

(I also really like that jacket 'Senor Juan' ;D )

Thanks for the compliment. The jacket is actually one of my old pairs of coveralls. Each of them has a different name on them. This is the Juan pair. I also have an Ismael pair and a Romeo pair.

nice work o_O im still working on my test helmet so i can gauge about how many trys its gonna take me to get it "just right" but it looks like u are right in the zone lol i hope when i bondo the rest of mine it looks like that lol

keep up the good work!

shadow8136 said:
is that resin and the other stuff safe to breath?? or do i need a like a plastic mask or somethin

NO,,its not safe to breathe. Make sure you use a respirator :cool:

by using urethane casting resin for the inside, did you not need to fiberglass? and if so, how much casting resin did you use on the inside...? i'm just trying to determine how much to buy if that's the case

Did you trim the rim of the neck yet? it looks like it wouldnt fit you, but since you have a photo of you wearing it, it must be ok.

Then again, good work!

Busy day yesterday. I did a lot more sanding and grinding and added the details to the bottom of the brim before putting a bit of primer on it.

FirstPrimer006.jpg

Mostly I didn't need to primer anything just yet, I just wanted to see it closer to one color.

FirstPrimer008.jpg

I primed the child-sized version too.

FirstPrimer010.jpg

I've also made a low-res version of the torso armor to test for fit before I spend a lot more hours making the high-res version with all of the details.

TorsoTest003.jpg

shadow8136 said:
is that resin and the other stuff safe to breath?? or do i need a like a plastic mask or somethin

The urethane resin is listed as a respiratory irritant. The fumes aren't dangerous (in fact, they're not even detectable), but when it cures the sanding dust will cause you problems. All of this stuff is some sort of bad for you. I also mixed milled glassfibers and some silicate into the resin to make it harder. This makes it even more likely to kill you dead if you breathe enough of it.

In short: NONE OF THIS STUFF IS SAFE TO BREATHE!

If you don't have a respirator, don't play with any of this until you've got one. Make sure it's the proper type for the application you're using too. There are different types that filter out either vapors (fumes) or particles (dust). The filter elements are only good for a limited amount of exposure too. You can read more here: http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/respirator..._selection.html so study up and protect yourself or skip it and get a Darwin Award.

thorssoli said:
I've also made a low-res version of the torso armor to test for fit before I spend a lot more hours making the high-res version with all of the details.

TorsoTest003.jpg
yippee someone used my size tester :D

supertaco said:
yippee someone used my size tester :D

Yessir! It was very helpful. Otherwise I'd have ended up printing out all six bajillion pages of the high-resolution model and ended up with a child-sized version like you can see in the bottom right corner of that pic.

In other news, I'm almost done with the detailing. Now I just need the hose inserts for the cheeks and I'll be ready to build the molds...

DetailsandSecondPrimer004.jpg

So now that I'm in the minor detail portion of the project, progress seems to be very slow. Yesterday I added the hose inserts for the cheeks and scored some of the grooves on the top and sides of the helmet.

Now I've got to add the rest of the details around the back of the neck and straighten out some of my bondo work and it will be ready for molding.

DetailsandThirdPrimer002.jpg

smilie120 said:
Is that on a boat? And Great job on your armour btw :p.
Yes. I live on my sailboat, so I'm doing all of the clean parts of the project there late at night. Anything that involves dust or fumes or paint or anything else that will leave a mess gets done in my workshop ashore.

Ronin said:
Great Job!!!!!!! Your bondo work is Smooooooth! How did make the details under your brim?

I started with a piece of styrene plastic about 1/16th" thick and cut it to fit the shape of the bottom of the brim. Then I cut out the recess where all of the details would go and used the cutout to make all of the various raised portions. Then I glued them all in place using a simple two-part epoxy. The epoxy attached the plastic details and filled in between the seams. Once I had everything lined up the way I wanted it, it was just a question of taping everything down to make sure it didn't migrate while the epoxy cured like so:

FirstPrimer006.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back