Muddy Secrets Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tested this on my arbiter helmet and its coming along great! Thanks Sigma for the great tutorial! Ill have pics in my thread a little later incase you want to see....

Its just you... try using a rougher grit then use a smoother type to get it more smooth. I found it quite easier to sand than bondo....

Keegan said:
I tested this on my arbiter helmet and its coming along great! Thanks Sigma for the great tutorial! Ill have pics in my thread a little later incase you want to see....
Pics? I would like to see how a completed helmet looks using this method.

Last edited by a moderator:
HPIM1251.jpg

DualWield004.jpg

These are mine. :D

Thanks sigma. I just started using this method, and found it works fantastically. It all but eliminates all the air bubbles regular bondo suffers from. My mix is a bit different, but it seems to be setting up pretty nice. It also sands WAY easier than Bondo. I'm really glad this tut was here.

On the topic of sanding....It is possible to sand mud by hand, correct? I have very few power tools at my disposal and a dremel isn't one of them. I know it will take time, I just want to make sure its possible.

Wait so let me get this straight, no Bondo Body filler hardener (the red stuff in a tube) but compensate for it with twice as much liquid hardener? Ex. If im making a mud mix and i have 1 tablespoon of reisen (7 drops of hardener) then for another 1 tablespoon of mud i add another 7 drops?

Also,
Has anyone seen the sun activated bondo? just curious to see if this would work in this case.

Spartan-104 said:
Wait so let me get this straight, no Bondo Body filler hardener (the red stuff in a tube) but compensate for it with twice as much liquid hardener? Ex. If im making a mud mix and i have 1 tablespoon of reisen (7 drops of hardener) then for another 1 tablespoon of mud i add another 7 drops?

Also,
Has anyone seen the sun activated bondo? just curious to see if this would work in this case.

1 tablespoon of resin + 1 tablespoon of bondo = 14 drops of hardener

how do you do pour it in so that it doesnt come out as just like a block, cause if you fill it like that wont it all be to the same height
?

link4044 said:
we use the mudd as a beauti coat then we add the mat or cloth for strength

Link4044 - Homie! Quick question for you, and anyone else who knows, what is the 'mud' suppose to look like? In other words is it suppose to be 'runny' or more like 'molasses'? Did some of this with my fellow Halo Lovers here in Tallahassee, Vrogy and TheRob, and wanted to make sure we are getting it right.

Also can you send me a PM about details on those pistols of yours. You inbox is always full so it's hard to contact you. :D

I was wondering if there was a thread on the pros and cons of mud vs. fiberglass. Link said he used both. So, do you fiberglass the inside and mud the outside? Or can I just use the mud mixture?
Also, why can't you cover the whole helmet at once?

I have finished mudding my Mark VI help but how do i add some sweet detail? do i just use a dremel and cut back down to the fiberglass or do I add a second layer and cut thru it down to the first layer? I tried detailling it about 15 mins after i poured the mud on the helm but that didn't work out too well. I saw pics of Sigma's new Mark V and i want to know how he detailed it so well.

I've learned a couple new tricks since I wrote this tut that let me do things with a bit more detail. The first is to restrict your mud to places that are supposed to be completely smooth surfaces (don't have parts that you need to cut down later) the second is to have mudded flat surfaces that you can attach detail to later. ex. the back of my new Mk V.

Ok i got that. Like on the bottom back of the Mark VI a thick coat is needed to sand it down to a perfectly smooth rounded surface (my first mistake was layering it too thin) but what tools/techniques do u use to get the extreme detailing? Dremel and mouse sanders? or is there some weird other way of doing it?

Srry just read my other post "selective use of mudding" and "attaching parts to the helmet" thanks Sigma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back