The Complete Respirator And Safety Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. I think Home Depot just removed all respirators from the online store. Thanks for the heads up.

The goggles you pointed out are good for this application, better than safety glasses. They should cover your eyes from splashes and dust very well.

The guide mentions that a respirator is needed because uncured/curing fiberglass resin can do bad things. What about cured? Specifically, the dust from it? I'm at the sanding stage now and it's generating quite a bit of dust in my garage. I've been wearing the respirator while sanding but is it safe to leave the dust lying around in the same manner as sawdust?

Ulrezaj said:
The guide mentions that a respirator is needed because uncured/curing fiberglass resin can do bad things. What about cured?
Cured resin should have no odor to it so it's safe if left as is.

Ulrezaj said:
Specifically, the dust from it? I'm at the sanding stage now and it's generating quite a bit of dust in my garage. I've been wearing the respirator while sanding but is it safe to leave the dust lying around in the same manner as sawdust?
Resin and fiberglass dust that results from sanding and cutting is VERY BAD! When it gets disturbed, it gets thrown up in the air where there's a risk of inhaling it. Fiberglass dust in your lungs could cause cancer, among other things. So when done with the job, vacuum your work area immediately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any fine particulates are bad for you, and fiberglass/ resin/ bondo dust are really nasty. You have to vacuum afterwards like RalPartha said, but you can get away with wearing a well-fitting paper dust mask when you are sanding completely cured resin that has stopped giving off fumes.

Remember folks, paper masks are not for resin fumes, only dust. Just a reminder ;) .

Sean (or anyone, really), after sanding and Dremeling, what would you recommend doing to safely dispose of the resin/fiberglass dust? I'll be working outside the whole time, so would I just leave them on the ground or try to get rid of them?

Ral Partha said:
Cured resin should have no odor to it so it's safe if left as is.
Resin and fiberglass dust that results from sanding and cutting is VERY BAD! When it gets disturbed, it gets thrown up in the air where there's a risk of inhaling it. Fiberglass dust in your lungs could cause cancer, among other things. So when done with the job, vacuum your work area immediately.

What happens if i'm hand sanding bondo and i put the object i want to sand in 2 layers of a big trash bag and then start sanding. is that better or will the dust still get the air. maybe i can seal the trash bag untill it's really small but i can still se it. If i'm working with Bondo's body filler outside with a respirator will the fumes stay outside forever or will it disappear. if it does disappear than (y) but if it doesn't and sty outside forever :mad: . so does it evetually disappear or stay outside in the air forever

Sean (or anyone, really), after sanding and Dremeling, what would you recommend doing to safely dispose of the resin/fiberglass dust? I'll be working outside the whole time, so would I just leave them on the ground or try to get rid of them?

TheSpartanMjolnir said:
What happens if i'm hand sanding bondo and i put the object i want to sand in 2 layers of a big trash bag and then start sanding. is that better or will the dust still get the air. maybe i can seal the trash bag untill it's really small but i can still se it. If i'm working with Bondo's body filler outside with a respirator will the fumes stay outside forever or will it disappear. if it does disappear than (y) but if it doesn't and sty outside forever :mad: . so does it evetually disappear or stay outside in the air forever

Guys, I think you're both missing the point of this guide. We're telling you how to use this material safely and responsibly. Follow the guide and you'll be safe.

Resin dust will blow away/ wash away. If it's outside it will mix and be diluted by the normal amount of particulate matter in the air.

Will the fumes stay in the air forever? Yep.. you just broke the outside, now nobody can ever go out there again. :lol: The wind carries the fumes away, and these fumes dilute and dissapear.

It's not nuclear waste guys, it's just dust. Follow the safety directions on the package, and you'll be safe.. OR if you're so worried about this that you just can't sleep at night pony up the extra money to buy non-toxic resin.

Sean Bradley said:
Will the fumes stay in the air forever? Yep.. you just broke the outside, now nobody can ever go out there again. :lol: .

It's not nuclear waste guys, it's just dust. non-toxic resin.

That started cracking up when you said that. whenyou told me i broke the air i was like oh no i just went outside i'm going to die, but anyway i heard that bondo's fumes were heavier than air and it is hard to get itout of the air. what are those long sleeve suits called that proctect you from chmical splashes or dust that can absorb through your skin

Sean Bradley said:
Guys, I think you're both missing the point of this guide. We're telling you how to use this material safely and responsibly. Follow the guide and you'll be safe.

Resin dust will blow away/ wash away. If it's outside it will mix and be diluted by the normal amount of particulate matter in the air.

Will the fumes stay in the air forever? Yep.. you just broke the outside, now nobody can ever go out there again. :lol: The wind carries the fumes away, and these fumes dilute and dissapear.

It's not nuclear waste guys, it's just dust. Follow the safety directions on the package, and you'll be safe.. OR if you're so worried about this that you just can't sleep at night pony up the extra money to buy non-toxic resin.
Just wanted to make sure. The only reason I posted it here is because this was the safety thread, sorry if it was off topic. I didn't want to start a new topic about it, and I wanted to be sure. The resin can I have doesn't help much, either, it doesn't even tell you to wear a respirator!

BlacRoseImmortal's Blog entry.

She decided to cut some safety corners... You can bet that didn't turn-out well. Shortly after she had the ulcers treated in her eye that resulted from toxic fumes, and could see again, she swore she'd never do THAT again.

Yeah, and so, like many of us are probably prone to do.. she did it again. This time she involuntarily sneezed and while inhaling to sneeze, she sucked-in fiberglass particles while dremelling.

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?automodu...p;showentry=382

Does anyone else have a story to tell that they can put in their blog and give us links to here? You might feel silly, but you could be saving the lives, and/or quality of life of your friends here. Roodkill? want to share in your blog?

This stuff is SERIOUS business, and I'm seeing shortcuts, tutorials, and WIPs that don't mention it at all, when it reality.. every one of them should point back to this safety tutorial.

I use a $10 dust mask with respirator from Walmart. I can't smell anything with it on, and I never feel nauseous or anything. Is that k?

Alright, now I thought I was doing good, I've followed all the safety precautions. I wear one of the respirators that Sean suggested in the tutorial, I use safety glasses, have two layers of latex gloves on, and often have something that covers the rest of my arms, or I wear a long-sleeve shirt. I do all of my fiber glassing and sanding outside, too...

...But, after reading the eye-cyst story I started to get scared ... Did this happen from the fumes or the sanding? Do my glasses need to make a seal around my eyes, so these fumes can't get in? If so, then I've been doing this wrong the whole time, and need to go shopping.

gamerguy55 said:
Alright, now I thought I was doing good, I've followed all the safety precautions. I wear one of the respirators that Sean suggested in the tutorial, I use safety glasses, have two layers of latex gloves on, and often have something that covers the rest of my arms, or I wear a long-sleeve shirt. I do all of my fiber glassing and sanding outside, too...

...But, after reading the eye-cyst story I started to get scared ... Did this happen from the fumes or the sanding? Do my glasses need to make a seal around my eyes, so these fumes can't get in? If so, then I've been doing this wrong the whole time, and need to go shopping.
She didn't have any eye protection whatsoever, so when she Dremeled, the fiberglass dust went into her eyes, causing the cysts.

I dont think our aim is to scare people into not using these materials, but just give them advice on what to do and not to do.

But then again, im a hypocrite, yet im working outside in the upwind, so im fairly OK when it comes to dust.

rvb4life said:
I dont think our aim is to scare people into not using these materials, but just give them advice on what to do and not to do.

But then again, im a hypocrite, yet im working outside in the upwind, so im fairly OK when it comes to dust.
The story isn't meant to scare people into not using these chemicals, it's to scare them into using these chemicals properly. ;P

I guess I should have worded it differently, what I meant to ask was, can the dust/fumes still hurt you with safety glasses on? Do you need ones that make a seal, or do regular ones work fine?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
rvb4life: Being outdoors doesn't help you much, at all, if you're not wearing a proper respirator. And.... wind + dust + 0 eye protection = bad. I've warned you about the respirator in your armor progress thread, too. You say that you wear a painting mask when fiber glassing, but if it doesn't make a complete seal around your mouth/nose it's not doing any good at all, and even then, a paint mask is made for just that, paint, not resin fumes.... but you should know that if you've read this guide. You have also said, in your progress thread, that because you're working outside the fumes aren't effecting you as much, and you really don't need a respirator. You know what you should be wearing, and what precautions you should be taking (you've obviously found the safety thread).

Please, stop posting things like this:
[...]yet im working outside in the upwind, so im fairly OK when it comes to dust.
This
I think i smelt that before, its not too pungent (ooh big words biggrin.gif) and i think my painters masks were okay, considering it was breezy out today[...]
and, this:
[...]didnt have enough for a proper respirator. Good thing im workin outdoors[...]

Most of us here know what we're doing when it comes to safety, but this guide is for the people who don't, and the posts that I have quoted are all very misleading for someone who has no idea about safety.

gamerguy55 said:

Well gamerguy55, it wasnt the fumes that gave me cysts, it was the 'glass particles. But the fumes kinda made my eyes water abit, but that was because when I opened the can thingy of fiberglass resin I did it at eye level, and i'm not sure why... lol. let my failures be your gain!

BlacRoseImmortal said:
Well gamerguy55, it wasnt the fumes that gave me cysts, it was the 'glass particles. But the fumes kinda made my eyes water abit, but that was because when I opened the can thingy of fiberglass resin I did it at eye level, and i'm not sure why... lol. let my failures be your gain!
Ahh, thanks. I'll have to remember to make sure none of the dust gets in my eyes. Didn't you notice that the fiber glass particles were going into your eyes? It all sounds very painful and irritating. >.<

and may you BRI learn from your mistakes so you can continue to contribute to this site.

btw if you can find one at an army navy store, a functional gasmask actually works quite well, and it seals your whole face in. i have the priviledge of an issued one, but so far i have found it quite satisfactory for all my needs.

Ahh, thanks. I'll have to remember to make sure none of the dust gets in my eyes. Didn't you notice that the fiber glass particles were going into your eyes? It all sounds very painful and irritating. >.<

You have no idea :cautious: . And like I said in my blog, my eyes always feel irritated so I didnt really notice a difference till the morning I woke up and wasnt able to open my eye....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back