TUTORIAL: The Totally Offical "Hot glue Method" Method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keegan said:
And Im one of them! :D I love this method, Iwas really getting sick of Fiberglass resin fumes. Or as Sean would say, faberglaz razuns.
Living proof my method works. See keegan is still alive...

Last edited by a moderator:
AoBfrost said:
Depending on what area you are covering, 1/2 an inch is needed, such as the chest, the large area of the chest must be covered, yet pieces like the arms and such can be covered with 1/4th of an inch or less depending on how strong/thick you want.

Ok but then that means that you have to size up your armour if your doing this because this may take an inch away from the inside, so your perfectly fitting armour, may become a little bit squishy.

stanvo said:
Ok but then that means that you have to size up your armour if your doing this because this may take an inch away from the inside, so your perfectly fitting armour, may become a little bit squishy.
Not necessarily, cause pep files are like an outside shell of the armor to begin with. Unless you have a bodybuilder-esque physique, pep models aren't gonna fit you like they do on the Chief. Besides, it is advised that you scale your armor slightly bigger (I went an inch) anyway.

By the way, great tut Frost.

I have an idea, what if you got the first couple layers on and then just diped or rolled your item around it it until its thick and then carve off the ecsess to use for later???

like if you can manage to smooth it out, god idea or no?

how are you going about to do that? ur gonna need a large area full of glue gun melted. furthermore, the area has to be deep enough to get into the nooks and crannies, expecially the handplates, helmet, etc.
maybe im wrong. and if so, please correct me, im stupid enough as it is.

but otherwise, great tut. i might use this instead of fiberglassing for my Nightmare costume. its gonna make everything easier and cheaper.

MC PwN 3R said:
how are you going about to do that? ur gonna need a large area full of glue gun melted. furthermore, the area has to be deep enough to get into the nooks and crannies, expecially the handplates, helmet, etc.
maybe im wrong. and if so, please correct me, im stupid enough as it is.

but otherwise, great tut. i might use this instead of fiberglassing for my Nightmare costume. its gonna make everything easier and cheaper.
If you would READ, it says melt the glue in a coffee tin/pie tin, these are very large.

ragtagsoldier said:
If your rich and got skills it would work,,,,, but i got robed and cant find my skills, lol

Resin/fiberglass cost to do a full suit, 40-50 dollars. Hot glue to do an entire suit 30 dollars or less.

It all depends how strong you make it, and how much glue you buy, dont buy it all at once, buy a few packs at a time, and use them until done or more is needed. If you buy individual sticks, buy only what you need.

k............... cnaa you loan me common sense or skill either one works for me i have 50 dollars on hand,,,,,,,, lets just say the man who rbbed me is no more......... $50 for skillz anyone??? lolz

50 dollars for a entire suit? I dont think that will work if your doing a pepakura suit, but it might be possible.

The glue would take up probably 25-30 dollars worth of the 50, then paint and cardstock another 15-20. A good paintjob alone could cost 40-50 dollars.

1000 page p 100lb cardstock 30-50 dollars
2 new black ink cartriges 150 dollars
fiberglass resin 50-60 dollars
paint 30 dollars
glue 30 dollars
straps to keep chestplate on easier 5 dollars
knowing ive already messed up somewere when im not even halfway done priceless

some things money can buy

for everything else theres mastercard

WTF SPELL CHECK SAYS MASTERCARD IS WRONG...
\

edit

then again im not exactly a halo armor enthusiast, more f a hobby person my armor sucks but i keep improving it : P

my mom gets card stock in bulk cuz she runs a buisness that does a lot of work with card stock and my dad ought the other stuff because he is into hobbys, i just use leftovers, lol,

sorry but when i get tired i have a sad humor

AoBfrost said:
If you would READ, it says melt the glue in a coffee tin/pie tin, these are very large.

i did read, thats why i posted my opinion. lets say you did a piece such as the boots or the chest plate for example...how would that work for the dipping and rolling technique? Pie tins are large to hold massive amounts of glue gun but not enough to roll huge pieces in. i agree, as well, that the pie tin is large and it would be best if you brushed even coats onto it.

but in anycase, what if your doing this technique for a helmet, would you brush the inside or the outside? same technique with fiberglassing except without the fiberglass?

Reread it, it says inside. And what do you mean rolling technique? I never heard of this, all you do is brush melted hot glue on and let it dry, it reinforces the piece, works for all pieces, helmets, chest, arms, legs, crotch, everything.

I'm sorry. In all due respect, i was referring to Ragtag Soldier's idea. I was just clearing something up, seeing if it works or not, by seeing the opinions and views of others. Frost, would you use the glue for textures on the outside? Like Nightmare's SC3 costume where the flesh part sometimes fuse with the metal plating and thus have flesh/armor hybrid. If you could pour in like acrylic paint as such, and mix it well enough before it burns, and paste it to the armor plating, will it be defective in any way?

I wouldnt use hot glue on the outside since it takes the form of anything too easily, it will have brush marks on the inside, so you dont want that on the outside, but for nightmare's armor, for his shoulder fleshy piece, it would work, but the the arm itself, you'd need to make that some how then glob hot glue onto it to make it bumpy, then paint it with some krylon fusion plastics paint

I'm going to try hot-gluing the outside of my experimental first helmet. I found a trick when gluing that made some areas smooth, and I kinda want to see if I can do that to my helmet.

I would also gladly throw the helmet at a wall to show its strength.

AoBfrost said:
I wouldnt use hot glue on the outside since it takes the form of anything too easily, it will have brush marks on the inside, so you dont want that on the outside, but for nightmare's armor, for his shoulder fleshy piece, it would work, but the the arm itself, you'd need to make that some how then glob hot glue onto it to make it bumpy, then paint it with some krylon fusion plastics paint

if i can pull it off by halloween of 2008, that would be sweet...
im trying to get my friend to give me back my soul edge so then i wouldn't have to make another one.
and for the arm, thats why there's insulating padding and cardboard to make it fit; its the fingers that are gonna be funky and difficult. other than that, everything is covered in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back