TUTORIAL: The Totally Offical "Hot glue Method" Method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
wooo great! I'll be trying this on my helmet!

To bad one (1) pack of 12 mm diameter short glue sticks cost me 8 euros. f**k that's expensive for hot glue...
well, at least it's still cheaper than fiberglass :D

AoBfrost said:
Because The noobs need a hero.

:p

No, I just accidentally put it here, but yes, it does sorta fit.
well ur my hero cause this way seems easy to do :not worthy:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you dont want to buy packs of hot glue, go to a craft store or hobby super store (hobby lobby). They have individual hot glue sticks in different lengths, and thicknesses. They cost 10-30 cents a stick depending on the size/thickness.

Heres my helmet using the hot glue method.
PEPHELM3.jpg

I hot glued small pieces of cardboard in but most of it is hot glue like Frost said to do.
I think that the hot glue method is a very good fiberglass alternative. Ive left my helmet out in the sun to dry in about 90 degree weather and there was no warping.

Great Idea, but for some people who don't want to spend time running back to the store to buy more hot glue materials, you can buy 2 16ounce bottles of some stuff called modge podge (not mine my sisters) for $6 it works just as good and can be alot cheaper. I have about a 1/4" thick layer on my armor and it works great. (I still haven't used hardly any of it on two thighs and an m6c!! okay, not so exciting but it works :p

I'm a Virgin at this whole process so I'm starting out by using the pepkura method. and im trying to keep it as cheap as possible =] I Like the hot glue idea, i waas thinking of some other thing to use on my armor let me know what u guys think. Whhat about cauking? what if I use liquid plastic on the outside just to reinforce it?

Caulking material will not take the shape of the outside because it is very very thick, it would work better inside, but it having the same qualities as hot glue, I'd stick to hot glue because it's cheaper.

Crossfire said:
Heres my helmet using the hot glue method.
PEPHELM3.jpg

I hot glued small pieces of cardboard in but most of it is hot glue like Frost said to do.
I think that the hot glue method is a very good fiberglass alternative. Ive left my helmet out in the sun to dry in about 90 degree weather and there was no warping.

Is that was the helmet you made in your avatar, then hot dang, another person to prove my method right.

Also, leaving it in the sun may not have been the best, hot glue will dry in 30-40 seconds in normal room temperature too. But still, the finished product is GODLY.

i was thinking about trying this on my armor. but how is the durability/strength of using hot glue to layer the inside of it?

Very strong, but not as strong as fiberglass, this is solid, but rubbery, fiberglass is solid, but brittle.

AoBfrost said:
Very strong, but not as strong as fiberglass, this is solid, but rubbery, fiberglass is solid, but brittle.

i see. well i might do a test piece to decide whether to do fiberglass or hot glue. but when combined with the fiberglass resin it should be about the same right?

Resining it first inside and outside will work, then covering the inside with hot glue to make it more solid and stronger. Just make sure the resin dries.

Hot glue isnt hard like fiberglass, but it cant tear or crack like Keegan said, it's rubbery but still stiff enough to add strength. Fiberglass would crack if hit, but hot glue would take the impact and do little damage, only damage I can see if the paintjob/bondo if any is applied, but the main shape/support will last.

Yes, It holds it shape, like if you dropped a ball of tinfoil.... It would change a little each time, but not really.

I'm also testing hold glue casting, so who knows, there may be a "hot glue armor tutorial" someday, but dont expect anything in the next couple of weeks, I will start testing when it warms up, winter isnt hot glue's best friend.

AoBfrost said:
I'm also testing hold glue casting, so who knows, there may be a "hot glue armor tutorial" someday, but dont expect anything in the next couple of weeks, I will start testing when it warms up, winter isnt hot glue's best friend.

haha i hope to see that some day. im guessin that there could be non toxic armor soon.

SoullessSin said:
haha i hope to see that some day. im guessin that there could be non toxic armor soon.

check out skullcandy's work with a new non toxic resin called aqua resin, but you'll need to seal the pep first so the hot glue would do for that on the inside cause the aqua resin is water based and will soak through the cardboard and also the hot glue could help prevent warping when using the resin.

any chance frost could confirm that

I finished gluing my armer and it is hard as a rock, I punched at what I thought would be a soft spot, butt it was as hard as a rock. My only problem now is if i should do red vs. lue or reg. MC colours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back