Tutorial: Pepakura building for dummies (or noobs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skullcandy Girl said:
I score all the folds before I cut them out, the teeny tabs are hard to score after they're cut out
Do you use a pens or lightly scribe it with a cutting tool of some kind? I like the pen idea but I've read other people say they score the tabs with something sharper. I'm just trying figure out what people prefer.

Spartan 051 said:
i think you need to add the resin, fiberglass and bando steps. Then that brings it down to one or two tutorials
I would be all for that, I think this tutorial is one of the best ones here, in my newbie opinion anyway :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!

I will try to add the bondo and fiberglass part when i get to that stage, may be a LONG while at the rate im goin.... months maybe...until summer.

I should be able to do it, i just have no prior experience, and need to read more about it before i can actually teach about it.

Definitley will though.

And, like i said, pen is actually more useful when scoring, but others use the other side of their exacto knife. Personally, i dont, because it shortens the life of the blade like.....times 10. plus, its neater with a pen.

Very nice tutorial. I actually was forced to have the Pepakura file open on my computer while I cut and what not because my printer didn't print some of the fold and cut lines very clearly. I appreciate all the tutorials you guys write just to help noobs like me. Thanks again!

pvt cherry- the websites that i put up give separate instructions and pdf files of the parts, so it isnt like pepakura, since its detailed models that you will need a decent printer for.

And thanks again for the praises, i hope that this helps in the following weeks, when im getting ready to fiberglass my own armor, hopefully i will be able to write a decent tutorial before i kill my brother who should be taking the pictures.....

or maybe i should kill him......make my life less annoying :p

I worked aircraft structural maintenance in the Air Force for 4 years, I did fiberglass repairs on an almost daily basis. Some small, just repairing the corners on radar boxes, and some much larger, like fabricating entire sections for parts of the aircraft. I also worked on advanced composites like kevlar, boron, and aramid, and did metal bonded repairs. I'm going to start on a set of pep armor this weekend. I've never done pep so I'm sure it will take me some time to get the hang of that before I move on to fiberglass, but when I do I'd like to do a tutorial of my own just on fiberglass, maybe to supplement this awesome tutorial as a part 2. That is if rvb4life hasn't already done one, and wouldn't mind :cool:

Trust me, the fiberglass isnt coming any time soon :cautious: , so i wouldnt mind if you wanted to make a tutorial, if you are good enough at it, because then, i might learn a thing or too also.

im pretty sure pepakura isnt as complicated as....kevlar....or aircraft maintenence, so you should be fine if you follow the tutorial to an extent.

but, PLEASE read the Frizzlefry tutorial BEFORE you do this, it starts where that one leaves off.

i did that on purpose.

I would love if you made a fiberglass tutorial, but it would have to be from start (getting the materials) to end (bondo and sand)

and i could try a paint one, we could trade off ;)

rvb4life said:
All right everyone, since I joined, i noticed that a lot of the people attempting pepakura (not the experienced, i understand) dont have ANY idea of what to do. they just join and ask questions.
Until today.

Reading the Frizzlefry tutorial is VERY helpful, until the parts are printed out and ready to be built. For those who have no idea of what to do after the printing and computer stage, READ ON.

This is for those who have hardly ANY experience with paper modeling or the pepakura designer layout.
Here is what you need.

1. Printed out parts (im making a FS torso)
DSC00900.jpg

2. Cutting knife (you can use scissors if you want, just a little harder with small parts)
DSC00902.jpg

3. Pens (to make clean folds)
DSC00903.jpg

4. Ruler (to make clean folds)
DSC00904.jpg

5. Cutting board (It helps save furniture)
DSC00901.jpg

6.Itunes (or ipod) to keep the boredom down
DSC00905.jpg

7. Pepakura designer with file open (itll be explained later)
DSC00906.jpg
you did not explane pepakura designer and now I'm lost! I down loaded the software and I t gives me 2.14 verson and now It says I need pass words. and I tryed those sights and they only wanted me to buy stuff. I'm confused and all I want to do is make some cool armor like the rest of you and my only resorses are wood card bord and paper (and some other things) but not much else. can you help me all I want is just a liitle explenation on the pepakura designer. thats all

Last edited by a moderator:
I would just like to thank you for this tutorial, because it has taught me a few tricks that will make these things a whole lot easier.

Thanks!

Spartan 118, this tutorial dosent explain the program itself, but i can teach a crash course right now.

1. Pepakura is a 3d editing program that is shareware. Shareware is free, but for certain functions, you will have to A. Buy a password for 30 bucks OR
B. Find a pirated password (i did it, but im not endorsing it :p)

2. The password allows you to save and export files. You dont necessarily need this, unless you unfold files for people (like me)

3. Go to the pepakura and cardboard armor forum. Better yet, i will just give you a link. http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1648

This will explain EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING is in there.

I cant explain every single function of pepakura designer 2 to you, but go to Help- Open help and click it. it will give you an in-depth explanation on the functions of the program, and that is how i learned it. It isnt too difficult at first, you get the hang of it.

Welcome to the 405th. Please, i understand you are new here, but dont quote an entire post (especially a big one like my first one)
It gets annoying to scroll.

Proper grammer will be the thing that will get you help and friends. We will help you, just calm down and let us.

Tater Mane, no problem. Welcome to the 405th, have fun here :D

ya im a total newb just joined today but i am advanced at woodworking from my highschol woods class (took it like 10 times) didnt know about that pepakura program pretty sweet but i was thinking more about making molds out of wood or something else and then using a vacuum form plastic to make lots of the actual peices so i could make lots of them thats just my opinion

(edit) sorry about the gigantic signature if i made it any smaller you probly wouldnt be able to see the writing on the note ill leave it for a while so people can check it out then take it down

thanks I try my best and I my have found a way that is easy for me. you carve out the peices out of stirafoam. then glue together and put the mud on top the foam serves as a skeliton. :D

it depends. you may have to scale the parts youself with a ruler (centimeters, Tamasoft is japanese) and enter it in your scaling window in pepakura designer.

there are whole threads in the pep section about this.

sweet tut, i started using the pen fold idea and so far it has been working on great.... we need more people like you on the forum

no, im just relaying back what i have learned on this forum. honestly, i didnt know about the pen idea until here, the guys that have been here way longer than me know more, and those who have full sets of armor.

but thanks for the compliment. hopefully (weather permitting) i should get fiberglass, and then i will be able to do a brief tutorial on that. but for now stick to the tut on the pep forum.

what do i print it out on? regular copy paper? i heard that you print it out on cardstock, is that true? if so, how do i do that? i only have a regular printer...

dont get bent out of shape about it. Read what it says. but in case you dont, here it is.

1. We use cardstock because its cheaper and more rigid than normal copy paper.
2. Your printer should be able to handle normal 110lb cardstock. Especially if its a somewhat new computer.
3. just put it in like normal paper.

Just a quick question: What would the estimated cost be for an Exacto-Knife? I know that my father has one, but I'd like to have my own to work on this project.

Oh, almost forgot; could anyone point me in the right direction for the most accurate helmet piece? Maybe supply me with the link?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back