Daft Punk Helmet Files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Descended Life said:
OMG Righteous! i loved daft punk since i heard them, 10 yrs old in 1998, i will make both of these and praise them! lol
holy moly thats when i heard them 2 i heard them on cartoon network at like 12:00 at night they were playing all these music vids. thats how i also heard the blu-du-be-de song (im blue ba da be (something like that) and thanks for finding this i realy wanted to make one of the daft punk helmets.!!!!! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
MeXicaN V3ndEttA said:
hthats how i also heard the blu-du-be-de song (im blue ba da be (something like that) and thanks for finding this i realy wanted to make one of the daft punk helmets.!!!!! :lol:

You're thinking of Eiffel 65 sining I'm Blue :lol:

Humungotron: I saw that yesterday and nearly peed myself in exitement. Thats the outfit I'm trying to do and to have advice and lots of reference pictures from the guy who made them is awesome.

foxymcfox: Would do the basebal helmet method but I'm British so it's sorta hard to track down a helmet at a sane price.

Daft Steampunk said:
foxymcfox: Would do the basebal helmet method but I'm British so it's sorta hard to track down a helmet at a sane price.
I would say check ebay, but after shipping, even a £2 helmet could easily turn into a £50, £60, or £70 helmet. Maybe you should start a movement to popularize "the great American pastime" just so that you have a source for cheap helmets.

...I'm no expert, but I'm guessing that similar sports like rounders don't have comparable safety equipment?

While it may not be the best option, because of the amount of modifications you'd have to do to make it work, you might want to consider a cricket helmet. You'll have to do some serious dremeling and sanding but the advantage is that you'll save some money. Case in point: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SS-ELITE-NEW-STYLE-N...7QQcmdZViewItem

EDIT: Or find whatever type of helmet they use on Scrapheap Challenge...those things look the business.

Combine that with the front of the Pep model and a heck of a lot of work and you could be looking at a pretty nice helmet.

Good luck.

-Nick

Making my third Pepakura helmet now, 29 and 32 cm helmets were too small so I had to crak it up to 40cm. Will post pictures of the biggun later but I ran out of glue :mad:

hey peoplez i am starting on the guy man helmet and am wondering where i could find a visor like that and if there is one is there any designs that could make the visor raise up?????????????? :unsure:

OMG nevermind the first post because i am going to make the helmet then make a mold of the visor and pour this liquid plastic to make it the perfect fitand then have a tint thing over it :D :D :D :D but if u still know how to make the visor come up plz tell me

Tyman said:
OMG nevermind the first post because i am going to make the helmet then make a mold of the visor and pour this liquid plastic to make it the perfect fitand then have a tint thing over it :D :D :D :D but if u still know how to make the visor come up plz tell me

Hey Tyman, I'm from Port Huron originally! I am now living in Mount Pleasant, MI, though. I am going to attempt the Thomas Bangalter helmet first, but I also hope to do the Guy Manuel at some point, due to Halloween -- me and my roomate are going out as Daft Punk! :D

Let me know how you progress, ok? And let me know if your idea about forming the visor works, kk?

-Xero

Xero Calibur said:
Hey Tyman, I'm from Port Huron originally! I am now living in Mount Pleasant, MI, though. I am going to attempt the Thomas Bangalter helmet first, but I also hope to do the Guy Manuel at some point, due to Halloween -- me and my roomate are going out as Daft Punk! :D

Let me know how you progress, ok? And let me know if your idea about forming the visor works, kk?

-Xero
OMG me and my best buddy are going to school as daft punk but we are also using EL wiring on our clothes just in case you wanted to do this too and have the full daft punk outfit heres the link :D but im going to start in like a week after i get my iphone fixed :mad:

http://www.instructables.com/id/how-to-add...-other-garment/

Daft Steampunk said:
Thanks for the .PDO's :D

Just have the slight problemo of resizing Tom's helmet with Pepakura designer. I changed the height from 26 to 29 to fit my big head, but it means certain parts will not fit onto the A4 sheets as they are too long. Is there any way to split the long pieces into shorter ones?

Ive read all the stickies BTW to no avail :(
Thanks In advanced :lol:

There is a "Split Faces" option in pep, right click in the 2D unfold window to find it. Or you can print it out and overlay the pieces by the "crosshairs" on the page corners to glue together multipage pieces.

Spartan 051 said:
Do you have any plans on making a mold

Never really planned on it because the build, to me, was a fairly easy one. If you use the Thomas .pdo I unfolded (in the first post) there are no hard or sharp curves, and the overall sleekness is pretty good (don't change any of the angle settings unless you're uncomfortable with them). I could probably bust out a helmet a week from scratch if I had to knowing the entire process now.

Also, sorry for not checking back in to keep up on the thread...been really busy lately with work and a convention this past weekend (in which I wore Thomas...I'll get you guys some pics here soon to show the entire finished product).

I think everything has been answered up until now...whoever is asking for the files, I'll put them on megaupload as well if that will help out any...

Ok i think ive finally thout of how to make the visor raise up if you modify the visor to be a little smaler and add a peice to make it go back to the ear spot you could add a washer and use a pin on both sides to make it raise up OOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGG When i finally start making it i will try this out but if people know it wont work just tell me :lol:

I cant do the Guy Helmet the microprocessor and other technical stuff will cost over $300 and im only 13 with a broken iphone so IM BROKE

Here ya go:

img10832xv9.jpg

hi im new! this is my first post... but i have been lurking here for the past month and have been working on my thomas and guyman helmets ...

first id like to thank 4ng31 and 20xx for the pep models. im soo glad i found this thread.. because i was totally stumped on how to do these helmets until i found this forum so cheers guys :) :)
ive had some experience with pep before from 4chan. and one of my buddies in product design in college was using it for his thesis.

these pics are of my printer paper mockup for size.. i scaled mine up to like 27.7cm . im like 5'11" 150lbs and it fit me pretty snug... for my final version i scaled up to like 28 cm

DSC01679.jpg

DSC01680.jpg

i printed mine on 13"/19" double sided matte paper for the EPSON 1280 i managed to fit all the stuff on like 3 pages.
then i used aquaresin and fiberglass... ill post pictures later when i find my stupid camera charger...
i first coated the paper model with several coats of clear coat then i started laying in the aquaresin. Skullcandy has a thread somewhere about this stuff and i just took the A,C,E trains to Compleat Sculptor on 90 vandam st. in greenwich village in Manhattan. The stuff comes in a liquid part and a powder part and is totally nontoxic and water soluble. i started with the recommended 3parts powder to 1 part liquid ratio which was really watery so i coated it a few more times 1 to 1 ... then laid in the fiberglass on the inside. i then mixed up the aqua resin in a 5 part powder 1 part liquid mix until it was a thick bondo like paste and really slathered it on with an old library card and then sanded it down.. and filled in the dents with spackle then sanded it again then primered it. Ill post pics on the process either here or the aqua-resin thread.

i found the GREATEST chrome spraypaint ever... like its sooo shiny that you can see like really sharp reflections and everything in it...the cap is deceptively silver... but it sprays really nice looking chrome

KRYLON premium original Chrome. its 5$ for a skinny can ... ill post pictures of it later... you can probably get it at new york central or utrecht or something like that.
1000k.jpg

as for the visor... im thinking i can probably go to canal plastics and order some really thin black tinted plexi or something i can probably heat up and bend to the inside of the visor.

4ng31 what did you use for your visor on your thomas helmet???

edatron said:
these pics are of my printer paper mockup for size.. i scaled mine up to like 27.7cm . im like 5'11" 150lbs and it fit me pretty snug... for my final version i scaled up to like 28 cm

Dang, I forgot to ask that before, can someone give a general scaling size for this project? And are the instructions on how to scale up in Pepakura in one of the stickies? I might need to make this PDO a bit bigger for my noggin...

Figured it out!

Oh, and edatron, snazzy coat! What brand is it and such?? I'm always a fan of unique coats x_X Kinda has a Trigun vibe to it.

Xero Calibur said:
Oh, and edatron, snazzy coat! What brand is it and such?? I'm always a fan of unique coats x_X Kinda has a Trigun vibe to it.

oh i used to work at this store in Soho called Yellow Rat Bastard and i got this there. I think its from a brand called trip? or something... i dont know ill hafto go look. i remember after getting the coat i went online to see if they have other cool stuff... but all the stuff looked terribly cheap and hot-topic.

http://www.trippnyc.com/

theres the site.... . wow they make really stupid looking pants...

edatron said:
4ng31 what did you use for your visor on your thomas helmet???

It's just a piece of plexi from Lowes, heat shaped, with a piece of 5% auto window tint on the exterior (I don't have a heat gun to shrink it to the inside).

:mad: It's tooooo smalllll!!!!

Began work on my Thomas printouts...

Oh, geez... See, I figured I would take my original printout, since I had already printed it out anyway, and begin assembling it, as I already figured I needed to scale it up to fit my huge head... and yeah, I was right. Got the entire back of the helmet done, and it looks like a jewish yamalka (spelling?)!!!

So it's back to the drawing board... gotta scale, reposition, reprint, remark (I mark the folds with red and blue ink for mountain and valley, respectively), recut, refold, and remake.

Wish me luck guys! It's so fulfilling to actually create something though, so while this is a setback, it's a fun one, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back