Pepakura, Teaching Others, Offering to Others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam

Forum Founder
Member DIN
S800
Hey guys. I realize some of our hard working members' files are bleeding out of these forums into other "prop making sites". This isn't a bad thing, it's good that the halo prop making group is growing. I know each of use are members of a half dozen other online communities out there. Much of the knowledge of how to build armor from pepakura stemmed from the hard-working members on this site. I'd love for you guys to be getting the credit for this stuff. Pep files are being stored/hosted on other sites that have no idea who the 405th is when 405th members made them! Tutorials are being displayed on sites that use methods learned here with no credit given back to the community of innovators that pioneered these techniques.

I understand there are exceptions and this stuff will happen until the end of time. But perhaps the makers of new can insert www.405th into the published pep file to try and get this community to grow more.

(similar to how thorssoli put text in here:

We as staff would love to see the credit given back to the original innovators/makers of these files, and to help this community grow and be seen as "where it all started" in a way. Let them know you learned much of your knowledge from these boards, and your friends in this community.

So, just asking kindly. Do what you can to help the community grow and bring people to the site. Don't leave the originators hanging here.

well said adam. a little product placement is all we need, right? :p

i am starting to put my name in my files, just so there is no mix-up, just contributing.

Yeah, that's a great idea, maybe a huge blotch over the photo with 405th on it. Once I get around to posting pictures, I'll do that!

it's not for my benefit, i have never really used pepakura. Just the community.

I definately agree with that, Adam. It's only fair that credit be given to the folks here who put in the time and effort to make so many of the Pep files available to the rest of us... no matter where that material may be posted online (and it would certainly help to promote this community, too)... :cool:

The Halo Costuming Wikia is partly why this is happening, we made it REALLY easy to get the files. Maybe we should edit more of it to include references to the 405th, or links to the originating threads. Something along those lines.

I dont mind plugging the site on my files, I'll include a little 405th.com thing on everything I release from now on. :)

Well said Adam.

I think the whole idea here is just to make sure that credit is given where it is due. I have been spotting our files being posted and re-hosted on other sites for a few weeks now with no credit being given to their creators and to our community. It has spiked since the wiki has started up, but I don't see how that can be avoided.

It's not necessarily that we're asking that people advertise the site on their Pep works, but rather to take some simple steps to ensure that they recieve credit for their work when other websites link to the collaborative output of this community.

STICKY (PIN) THIS ADMINS PLEASE :D

Yeah i agree with Adam here,
it's good to give credit to the creators,
and i can vouch that i have seen other websites people have put up showing how they did their armor, and i see the pictures and it's Deffinately Pep, and peoples models from here.
So don't be a fool, (no i won't say wrap the tool) and give credit to the hardworkng people who make this community possible.

-Justin

Good idea, but if it's going in pep files, it should be small and not of high cost to print- I've seen a few 6"X4" full-color logos inserted into pep files.. nobody wants to waste ink on that, especially if it's getting cut off and thrown away anyways.

Here's a few ideas:
-make it small. Around .5"X2" should fit somewhere on most pepakura
-make it monochrome. Black and white only.
-put it inside parts. Make it visible on finished pepakura models.
-include a link here. (duh)
-include the name of our group. (double duh)

If someone wants to go through all of the pep index and add it to parts, I can send them a zip/rar of the files- email or PM me.

I just want to throw my thoughts out there...

Pepakura is nothing more than advanced papercraft...if you even want to give it the benefit of the doubt. You guys didn't invent the program...

Also, most of the original models (that I built my suit from) were just game rips...so technically, those were stolen models as is...so...

I don't like it when people get uptight about this type of stuff, makes the community as a whole look stuck-up and arrogant. We should be helping more people get into this seen rather than worrying about crediting issues and where patterns are being posted. I link peple back to this site for all kind of help on stuff, and would hate to have that blow up in my face because someone is uptight about them using a model that was released to the PUBLIC in the first place.

Welll as far as FS, NZ-TK and I go, I know we do our stuff form scratch. Albeit they are "modeled" off of screen caps. While I wouldn't go crazy if I saw my pep files on "Snot-nosed Devil child's Myspace", I would much rather the traffic and hits come here. A bit of a "payback" of sorts. Consider it another form of a donation.

Though the WETA version ODST models I'm making are specifically for the 405th members, to spread the good news of this place, since this is trying to be THE costuming community. And first thing everyone will ask is "OMG WHERE did you get that"? I'd rather they say "405th" than "Snot-nosed Devil child's myspace".

Just my 2 cents as a 3D file maker...

Yeeah.. not everything is from scratch, I think. Maybe at some point in the future there'll be a full HD suit out there that *is* all from scratch, but right now I wouldn't poke around at where some of the files came from too much, if we want to keep using them until we have an alternative.

here's an idea: The 405th logo with room
for the airtist/creator to put their name in to give them
credit to both file and the site? I'll be happy to make it
if I get the permission to.

[EDIT]
Sorry for not having permission
it can be taken off it anyone wants
but since we're a visual group this
is my interpretation of the watermark.

[attachment=3856:40th5.jpg]​

Last edited by a moderator:
A black and white simplified version to save both ink and size. Hope u guys like it.
logotempcq2.jpg

.ai version here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K6ID03KW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back