Noble 6 (S-B312). . .a WIP MY WAY. . . Eventually Pic Heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan_127

And now. . . . . I will do this. . . . . . .

MyNoble6Build_zps6dcc0cf2.png
First off. . . This will be and is a WIP Thread. I didn't title it that way due to a lack of any pics to put in the first posts since I've yet to actually start. I'm waiting for certain things that have been and will be ordered to come in so I can start. I figured I’d try to get all my rambling that I tend to do out of the way and get something up on here so that I’ll stop saying I’ll be starting in a couple of weeks. . . . LOL! Maybe putting this up as a thread will actually make me start and get me motivated to share what I come up with. :p That being said. . . . .
Yippee!!!!!!! I Finally get to start my own build :p

INTRO and a little background info for those who don’t know me

My interest with this all started with My Son's Noble Spartan build for this past Halloween. After researching all of this for him, I decided to make plans for a build of my own. Seeing how all of my reference to date has mostly been on Noble 6 for my son's armor build, that's who I'm going to start with. Reading everything about Halo that I have, I really began to enjoy the story line behind everything. Knowing what I know now about the story behind Reach being where it all began, I thought it would be fitting for my first build to be from a character at the beginning. With Noble 6 that was thrown into the mess with Noble Team in the beginning, it seemed appropriate.

I want to put this out there for everyone that hasn’t read through my son’s build thread. . . . I haven't played Halo yet. Not that I don’t plan to at some point. . . :p So, I'm not "in love" with any particular character. I am partial to the information that I found on all of Noble Team though and their mission.
My plan for this build is to make a set of Mjolnir Armor and an undersuit as game accurate as possible. A fairly complicated task when you don't have 24 hour access to the game. Did I mention I don't even have an Xbox?!?!?! My line of thinking is. . . If you're going to do it, you might as well dive head first all in and fail miserably while trying to do it right the first time. . . . :p I've done countless of hours of research about pepakura and Halo since my son came to me at the beginning of the year wanting something built for him. I’ve learned a lot since I embarked on that journey, and on this one I will have a lot more to learn with what I have planned. I've found some screen shots on the internet to go off of, but have finally found a friend that has Halo and was able to get multiple screen shots of Noble 6 sent to me for reference recently.

All of that being said, I plan to start with the undersuit. I will have to do the Torso, Biceps and Cod as the first pep pieces because my undersuit is dependent upon where these pieces will sit so I can get all the detailing in the right places. I will be trying my best to learn a new skill to make the undersuit with the hopes of turning out the most game accurate undersuit I possibly can. The process I'll be using to make the undersuit will be similar to what I've found on the Hunter's Lair that others have used to make Predator Suit skins. Except I won't be using a Mr. Incredible costume as a base. :p Once portions of the undersuit are done, I'll be able to start the pep process for other parts so that they fit the undersuit properly. I'm going to try to make the undersuit so that it supports the pieces like the Biceps and Thighs so MAYBE I can avoid having to use a strapping system to hold those parts in their proper place. However, strapping is not out of the equation at this moment since I don’t know if my ideas running around in my head will work. The undersuit will take me some time to do, because I'm by no means a special FX artist. I'll be learning as I go, and despite my ranking on this site being an Infantryman, I still feel like a Noob. I'm sure that I will make a lot of mistakes along the way that will have to be fixed since there isn't a pattern or anything that I've been able to find of any of the undersuit. What I've learned and need to learn will definitely be tested on this build, but I look forward to the challenge. Especially since I haven’t seen an undersuit made like this so far. If anyone knows of anyone making or that has made an undersuit like this for Halo, please let me know so I can try to contact them.

I will do my best to show all of my work, mistakes and /or fixes during this build so that it can be shared with the rest of the 405th community to help whoever may be following along with me in some way. I've learned so much from the other talented builders on this site that I feel it is a responsibility to do that so maybe something I do can help someone else. Again, I'd like to extend my gratitude and thanks for everyone on this site. . . Noobs, Veterans, the talented 3D artists and people that unfold the 3D files for all of us here to use and everyone that helped me during my son’s build in some way. Whether it was suggestions or just comments to keep me motivated. Without them and this very unique and supportive community of the 405th, builds like my son's and now mine, would most likely not be possible.

At this particular junction in my life, I do not have a deadline set for the completion of this suit. My only hope is that is done before Halloween 2013. I have no doubts right now that I will be able to make a set of armor by that time, but you never know. I’m looking into any cons that may be in Texas that I can go to next year, but I am not going to rush through this build for any one special event. I really want to be able to take my time and produce the best possible product that I can.

I will be reserving the first few posts so that I can keep this build thread better organized to show files, progression /current state of build photos and show what I’ll be up to in the beginning of this thread as well. I’ve tried to do as much prep work in the starting of this thread that I could to help make it easier on everyone. Please bear with me on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Plan

Here’s How I have it laid out in my mind right now on how I want to do it and what files I want to use.

Undersuit: Spandex Suit with Latex Skin for detailing. Torso arm seals may need to be foam.
Illumination: LED lighting throughout
Armor Construction: Reinforced Pepakura pieces and some foam work
Reinforcement Method(s): Resin, Rondo, Rondo Glass, Fiberglassing, Smooth On 321. Just whatever works for that particular thing! LOL!
Visor: Custom Vacuum Formed /Painted (if possible)
Weapons: Combat Knife, Magnum and an AR or DMR (Reach Versions)

These are the files that I am planning to use. . . . I apologize in advance. There aren't links for all of them, because I'm mostly using the Dawn Under Heaven files. Those are paid files and I am not allowed to share them. Sorry :( For donations on their site you can get access to them. The one's that are available that I'm using, just click on the file name above the photos for the link to them.

Helmet: Dawn Under Heaven (MK VB)
Helmet.png

The visor on this pep file is detailed as it looks like on the pic. I'm hoping to be able to cut it out and use it to vacuum form a custom visor to the helmet so that it looks like what it does in the game. I’ve never vacuum formed anything before so that will be another thing that I will be learning as I go on.

Torso: L3X V4 HD
Torso.png

Biceps: Dawn Under Heaven
Bicep.png

I had to modify the file in Blender to make it actually fit me like it should. Beyond changing the size, no other modifications have been done to it and it is still the same file.
Here's the modified size pic.
BicepRescaled_zpsee731b3d.png

Forearms: Dawn Under Heaven
Forearm.png

Cod: Reach Belt /Cod by RoadWarrior(Doing Hybrid with borrowed Dawn Under Heaven Parts)
CodbyRoadWarrior.png

I think I might be able to use the undersuit detail on this to help me model the latex bits of the undersuit in correct proportion. Any ideas on that guys?

Thighs: Dawn Under Heaven /Forged Reclaimerhttp://www.4shared.com/file/A-2TtEM7/Right_Thigh_HD_ForgedRecalimer.html?
Thigh.png

I found out that the thighs used for the Dawn Under Heaven Thighs was actually a reworked version of the Forged Reclaimer Thigh. This file has more details on it than the Dawn Under Heaven file. The only thing that the Dawn file has that this one doesn't is the little circle thing on the undersuit detail on the outside of the thigh. That shouldn’t be something too difficult to scratch build onto it.

Shins: Dawn Under Heaven
Shin.png

I’m really concerned on how to do this two piece shin to make sure it all fits properly. I’m kind of hoping neodymium magnets can be used to hold it together with a strategically placed strap as a back up in case it comes apart. Any thoughts?

Boots: Dawn Under Heaven
Boot.png

I have no idea how I’m going to be able to cut up this full boot to make it work. But the detailing on it is awesome in my opinion. I’ll make it work. . . . Somehow!!!!! LOL!

Hand Plates: Zero2o2
HandPlate.png

Strangely enough, the Dawn website didn’t have these.

I will have to rework the Helmet a little to make it more accurate I think. This is what I'm talking about.

HelmetTopIdea.png
HelmetRidgeExplaination.png
HelmetDetailVentsIdea.png
HelmetBackIdea.png

Overall, I think that making a latex undersuit is going to be the biggest challenge and it will also mean a lot of heat build up to contend with. I’ll have to play it by ear on where the latex will have to be applied. Right now though, I think that pretty much everything from my chest down to my upper thighs is going to be covered in latex. Along with my shoulders, back and arms to the forearm area and the knee area. I’ve looked into fans for the helmet and also what it would take to make an easy cooling suit. A lot of tubing some ice in a bladder and a small water pump would be able to do that. I’ve even got a water pump I tore out of an old swiffer mop that broke on us. The need to use it I’m sure will be great giving how I want to do this, I just haven’t worked out the details on where to put all of it exactly. I didn’t want to have to oversize the torso so much to try to hide this stuff so that the proportions stay. . . well. . . . in proportion. . . . LOL!!

As to the weapons. . . . I haven’t decided on the way I want to make the rifle or knife yet. On the Magnum, I ordered one of the http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/35770-Tactonyx-Halo-Weapons-Thread”]Tactonyx Magnum Kits [/URL] for that one. I couldn’t say no after seeing his weapons thread. They are by far, in my opinion, the best looking ones I’ve seen available for purchase.

The only thing that I have built currently is my duct tape dummy. No real reason in putting in a pic of that. I’m waiting on payday (tomorrow) and I’ll be placing an order for some latex and a spandex suit this week. I’ll hopefully have it sometime next week to get the ball rolling on everything. So, for now, I’m kind of at a standstill on the project until I get those things. I may try to print out the chest and everything and get to cutting on it so that it’s ready to go. I was thinking about getting a CraftRobo cutter to help me along after reading some tuts on it. It seems like it would be worth it, because if building these will be an every year thing for my son, it would definitely speed up the process a little. If anyone reading this has ever used one for pepakura, please let me know what you think about them and their ease of use. The cheapest that I’ve been able to find one for so far is about $260. And that that is the http://www.amazon.com/Silhouette-Cameo-Starter-Bundle-Cutter/dp/B007R83VKE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352126846&sr=8-1&keywords=silhouette+craft+cutter”]Craft Robo Silhouette Cameo Bundle[/URL] I don’t know if that would be the right machine to use, but I know that the “Silhouette” version without the “Cameo” part was mentioned in a tut on how to use it for pepakura. If anyone knows, please feel free to share your knowledge.

To everyone that has seen my son’s build and are now following along with this one. Welcome back guys. . . . and gals. I know that a couple of people that followed along when I was doing my son’s build, have said that they thought when I was able to start my personal build, that this will be a build to watch. I don’t know that that is necessarily true. Like I said before, I still consider myself a Noob, but I’m going to do my best to not disappoint and hopefully along the way. . . . . keep everyone intrigued. Well, at least amused. . . LOL! This will be a slower paced build than my son’s. At least in the beginning. So I apologize in advance in the event that I don’t make too many updates in the next few weeks. Having to figure out new things will take me a little bit.

Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions with my plan of attack. I welcome all types of feedback and criticism. That is the only way that I can figure things out sometimes and to make my builds any better. Plus, it helps me to stay motivated. Until next time . . . . Keep Building and Make It FUN!!!!

Current State of My Build

Currently working on the bicep files. Had to modify the size of them in Blender to make them fit me. Right Bicep is complete and starting left bicep. After pep, I will harden them and start working on the shoulder under suit details.

IMG_2619_zps673cab73.jpg
th_IMG_2639_zpsf1797cdf.jpgth_IMG_2640_zps1b5c7e22.jpgth_IMG_2641_zpsb595fde6.jpgth_IMG_2642_zps607fb3b6.jpg
th_IMG_2632_zps355ae07b.jpgth_IMG_2636_zps552f22dc.jpgth_IMG_2635_zps58086a71.jpg
th_IMG_2665_zps2d4c0c77.jpgth_IMG_2666_zpsd7453036.jpgth_IMG_2668_zps98b7e056.jpg

Glad to see you're starting another build! I must say though, Isn't this just a bigger, different coloured version of your son's build? I mean, Noble six, why not make it fully customized and everything? Just my two cents. Good luck, I'm subbing for sure!

I do believe you are a man with a plan. Whew latex though... man... thats going to be rough lol good luck, def going to keep an eye on this one.

Quite the ambitious task! But I'm sure you're up to it :)

The latex approach to the undersuit seems like it could yield some crazy cool results...but I'd definitely be concerned about the lack of breathability and resulting heat build up! It sounds like you have a few ideas to try and solve the problem though, which is great. I would definitely do some tests on heat issues prior to committing to an entirely latex suit. The vinyl on my undersuit is not breathable...and I can definitely feel the difference between the areas that are covered in vinyl versus the areas that are cotton!

I'm excited to see how this progresses! :D

Well time to sub early, this will be the thread to watch. I absolutely love it when people go all in for full on accuracy, I hope to one day get in on a similar if not smaller scaled project, but I digress. Good luck, sir!

Good luck man! This looks like it will be awsome. Saw your build for your son and decided to check this out. Lota work to do but just keep at it, I'm subbing for sure!

Glad to see you're starting another build! I must say though, Isn't this just a bigger, different coloured version of your son's build? I mean, Noble six, why not make it fully customized and everything? Just my two cents. Good luck, I'm subbing for sure!

This build is a Noble 6 similar to my son's. I'm going for game accuracy on this one though. My son's was pieced together and didn't have much detail in my opinion. I put some time into painting his to make it look good with the decals and stuff, but the parts themselves weren't very detailed. As far as customizing it. . . . Since I haven't played Halo, I wouldn't know where to start with all that. I just wanted to try to replicate what I can see in my collected reference shots. Someday, after I actually get to play the game, maybe I'll go hog wild on a project. LOL! I appreciate your 2 cents, though. That's what keeps me on my toes. :p

I do believe you are a man with a plan. Whew latex though... man... thats going to be rough lol good luck, def going to keep an eye on this one.

Thanks a bunch. The latex is going to be rough, but I've worked with liquid mask grade latex before, just never on something this big. It will take whatever shape you want it to. You just have to be patient. LOL!!!!!!

Quite the ambitious task! But I'm sure you're up to it :)

The latex approach to the undersuit seems like it could yield some crazy cool results...but I'd definitely be concerned about the lack of breathability and resulting heat build up! It sounds like you have a few ideas to try and solve the problem though, which is great. I would definitely do some tests on heat issues prior to committing to an entirely latex suit. The vinyl on my undersuit is not breathable...and I can definitely feel the difference between the areas that are covered in vinyl versus the areas that are cotton!

I'm excited to see how this progresses! :D

Thank you for the vote of confidence, Ma'am. I'm not worried as much about the heat build up in this suit for me as I was for my son. I wear very restrictive and heavy things at work all the time that cause a lot of heat build up on an everyday basis. Not to mention where I live 110 degrees F aren't uncommon on those summer days. Heck, it's still in the upper 80's right now and it's November. LOL! I know that if I vent it in certain areas it will help, but I know below the armor pieces itself the spadex base won't have to be covered in the latex, so that may help a bit too. I'm definitely looking into making a cooling suit for those times where my shear will and lots of water won't help. :p I'm trying to get a pic drawn up and figured out to better show how or what will be covered in latex and what won't. That way it can show everyone a little better than my words can on what I'm thinking. Thanks again for the vote of confidence and suggestions. They mean a lot.

Well time to sub early, this will be the thread to watch. I absolutely love it when people go all in for full on accuracy, I hope to one day get in on a similar if not smaller scaled project, but I digress. Good luck, sir!

Good luck man! This looks like it will be awsome. Saw your build for your son and decided to check this out. Lota work to do but just keep at it, I'm subbing for sure!

This build is going to be amazing! Definitely going to keep my eye on this one. Subbed!

Thanks guys. . . I appreciate it a lot.

I found out that the link was messed up on the torso file, but I've fixed it now and verified that it's up and running. Sorry for that and thanks for letting me know surfahbum.

Well due to unforeseen events at work (getting called out and having to visit a couple street level pharmacists) I wasn't able to start pepping anything or place an order for latex Thursday or yesterday. Sleep had to come first. I'm going to try to get it ordered tonight or tomorrow so hopefully it will ship out on Monday or Tuesday. So, still at that standstill.

I remember now why I didn't like scaling on my son's build. It took me forever to figure out with my frame that I will have to do some on the fly modifications to the torso to make it work. The shoulders and all are fine, and there is plenty of room everywhere with the exception of the width between the two things that go under your arms. I guess I've got a wide chest and rib cage for a short guy. LOL!!!!! I'm sure I'll get it worked out eventually.

Going to start pepping the torso on my days off (starting Monday or Tuesday) dependent upon when I get to sleep the first day off (Monday). So hopefully I'll have some type of progress by Wednesday (my last day off). Thanks again to everyone checking in. I appreciate all the comments. They definitely help me stay and get motivated. Until next time. . . Keep Building and Make It FUN!!!!

Starting your own suit eh? Well, I have complete faith in you that it's going to be a masterpiece :D

-Seth

I just subscribed *fro the first time in my 405th lifetime and other blogs* to yours. I'm very curios on how you'll overcome some of the problems.

but let me first off say that you've got some VERY CRAZY looking Pep files there! Good speed young man! ;-)

It looks like you have a good plan going here. After seeing your son's noble 6 armor, this is going to be a great build :) I subscribed

Starting your own suit eh? Well, I have complete faith in you that it's going to be a masterpiece :D

-Seth

I just subscribed *fro the first time in my 405th lifetime and other blogs* to yours. I'm very curios on how you'll overcome some of the problems.

but let me first off say that you've got some VERY CRAZY looking Pep files there! Good speed young man! ;-)

It looks like you have a good plan going here. After seeing your son's noble 6 armor, this is going to be a great build :) I subscribed

Good luck sir I have complete faith in you!

I'm with dbmike, I'm with you all the way! Subed

Thanks so much for the vote of confidence and support as well as encouragement. It means a lot.

I've ordered the latex and a spandex suit to use for the under suit base and should have them by the week's end. I'm having to put off pepping anything until at least Wednesday. An uncle of mine that had pancreatic cancer passed on Sunday morning and we're dealing with that right now. I'll get started as soon as I can though and get something posted when I have the chance. Until Next Time . . . Keep Building and Make It FUN!!!!

WOW..... I am so here. This is going to be so cool to watch:cool
Now added to my Daily new's it will go great with coffee. :D

WOW..... I am so here. This is going to be so cool to watch:cool
Now added to my Daily new's it will go great with coffee. :D

Thanks, Thorn. Daily news huh? LOL!!!! It will be a bit before it's a daily reader I think. :p

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Small Info Update

OK! So. . . . I'm still waiting on my latex and spandex under suit to put the latex on. I'm chomping at the bit on those. . . LOL!

I did however, get a brand new Silhouette Cameo craft cutter in today. OMG!!!!!!! I'm never going to have to hand cut the pieces out again!!!! :D It took me a bit to learn the setup and all, but since then, I've cut out a few pages for the torso and am very please with the results. Plus. . . my wife can use it for scrap booking so I'm not really in trouble for getting it.:p It cuts on the line every time so far after figuring the setup out. I haven't figured out how to get it to score the lines yet. The website shows how to set it up, but even after I do it doesn't cut or score them. If that's all I have to do by hand though, then my fingers are saved!!!!!!!!:cool It's already saved me tons of time cutting. It cut a very detailed sheet with lots of pieces in less than 4 minutes and a couple larger sheets with bigger pieces in a minute or so. Here's what it's done for me so far.

IMG_0609.jpg

I got all this cut out in less than 10 minutes using the machine. AWESOME IMO!!!!! :p The stuff on the right side is still on the sticky cutting mat for the machine so it still has some of the stuff there I didn't peel off, but it is all cut out.

And this is the machine I'm talking about. . . .
IMG_0613.jpg

Just thought I'd let everyone know what I was up to and that I'm cutting out pieces for the build. Stay tuned. I may get something put together now!!!! LOL! I know it's not much progress. . . . but with everything else that went on this week, at least it's progress. :p Thanks again for the continued support. I really appreciate it. Until next time. . . . Keep Building and Make It FUN!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back