Jimmay's HALO 4 EOD Build [WIP][PICS][FirstBuild]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude this is gonna turn out awesome, can't wait to see it! How long do you estimate this will take you?
haha thanks alot Kiwi :D well progress is a lil slow atm due to my original unrealistic timeframe, but if i keep a steady pace and do at least 2hours a day, hopefully under 6 months :)

Tabris, check post #16. Please remember to keep the language clean.
i appologise for leaving those clips there Carpathia. i was using them to keep the armor sheets together and forgot to move them for the pic. it wont happen again! i'm not one to cause a stir on forums :)

howdy there 405th, update time (of sorts :))

its been about 100years since ive had to do anything with electronics, probably since high school, but i went out today and got a few tid-bits to get my mind back into it and this is what i came up with:
3lq8.jpg

i picked up: 1X40mm 12V fan, 1X4AA batt holder, 1X2AA batt holder, 4X5mm Clear green LED, 8pk 150Ohm resistors, 2X9V batt clip, 1Xgreen and 1Xblue 12mmx25M wire, 2Xgreen LED tactile push buttons, and a bunch of battery's. i got the different packs to experiment with the different voltages and such.

now as i said, its been while since ive used this jazz, but i ran though ThatDecades resistor recomendation and also this little guy, but this does not take into account the switches, and i cant for the life of me work out the ones i bought :p

heres a LINK to the ones i bought, now they have 6 legs, the two in the middle control the LED side of things, so what im asking is how do i get it all wired up correctly? i could always get different switches, but these are discrete and have the small LED, so ill stick to them for now.

also ran a small current though the LED to get a test colour, gotta say im very happy with these:
mugg.jpg

8i4v.jpg

$2 a piece is a wee bit higher then the $0.25 ones, but i dont mind for the quality :D

also a concept for the back of the helm.
udxt.png
i plan on making the AI port an exhaust for the helm, with an intake at the front. for the back, ill mount the 40mm fan, and attach some LED's around it, or a strip. with some clear perspex or something to shine through about 4-5mm out. centered in the mesh, ill have the button for turning that part on/off. a long while off so ill keep working on the concept.

thats what i got for now, still cutting out the helmet so hopefully start putting that together this week when im not working.

feedback/help/criticisms go for gold :D

Jimmay!

Attachments

• 3lq8.jpg
    3lq8.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 364
  • mugg.jpg
    mugg.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 364
  • 8i4v.jpg
    8i4v.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 376
  • udxt.png
    udxt.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 352
Your switch is momentary meaning it requires a holding contact. You can get a small contactor and wire it with a three wire set-up or I would suggest just swapping switch to a held contact switch seeing as it's such a low amount of voltage. The AI port as a glowing switch is a great idea. My helmet fan will be at back and extract air (blowing hot air out) with intake at front to (draft cold air in). Are your lights going to be independent of your fan?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

so i have a crazy idea that i have no experience in but am guna give a shot anyway :D
last night i roughly learnt how to use Corel Draw (X4), and what i plan on doing, is making a somewhat sliced Spartan IV knife. then with a guy that does laser cutting, getting him to print the slices on some thin perspex or the like; then layer them up and whack on a covering of body filler. i feel this might be an easier method then pepping such a small fiddly piece and having to resin/fibreglass it. if it turns out ok, might even get a mate to do some moulds :D
but i ask, what advice can you give for something like this ladies and gents? is there a certain way to go about the layering and cutting? or things to avoid with assembly?

Cheers, jimmay!

I would suggest that you use extremely thin foam pieces, other than that sounds great. My mext suggestion/warning is that the laser engravers can be a little rough on your material, don't make any pieces too intricate. Good Luck!

Your switch is momentary meaning it requires a holding contact. You can get a small contactor and wire it with a three wire set-up or I would suggest just swapping switch to a held contact switch seeing as it's such a low amount of voltage. The AI port as a glowing switch is a great idea. My helmet fan will be at back and extract air (blowing hot air out) with intake at front to (draft cold air in). Are your lights going to be independent of your fan?
I thought it might be a good idea to, then i started actually thinking about it :p ok so say im using a 6V power source, 4AAX1.5V; and using 150ohm resistiors on each of my LED's, does that also mean that i should use one on the contact of the LED on my switch? the switch in my link, is rated 3.5V. would i be correct in saying the wiring would be: one to negative switch, one to positive switch, and branching positive to positive LED? (i hope that made even a little sense). maybe i should throw this up in HELP FOR ELECTRONICS and get someone to walk me through a diagram :p
as for the lights, im at work now, and that bored im drawing up different concepts of how to wire the whole thing up. problem is the actual helmet and not having it at least pepped yet. i cant decide on the best way to power everything, whether independantly or as a whole circuit, until i work out space and what not, and how the port will even be when im ready to put this in lol but im open for ideas :D

I would suggest that you use extremely thin foam pieces, other than that sounds great. My next suggestion/warning is that the laser engravers can be a little rough on your material, don't make any pieces too intricate. Good Luck!
ok cool thanks for the advice :) gota find 5mins to even start on the patterns haha now im thinking of throwing a sliced battle rifle in there also :D

hey there 405th, i've been off the radar lately with work, house hunting, more work; and no time to armour. But i have been looking in everyday on my fellow 405thers :D
but i got me some work done here and there, abit last weekend, and an all nighter today. here is my first serious update for a month:

found a little treasure chest i souveneird from school, a butload of LEDs with wires attached, toggle switches, momentary, on/off, fans...take me a year to see whats still good :p
3g0x.jpg

got almost a full side done on the chest in an all nighter last weekend:
hjfv.jpg

my foam work i think is pretty woeful considering what ive seen on here, but getting pretty pleased with its progress :)

in some downtime last weekend, i put a simple LED circuit together to see if i still got it;
hxlw.jpg

turns out i do :)
e81q.jpg

ihoi.jpg

need a new soldering iron and a fair bit of electronics kit, but that can wait.
also made a little spool holder out of knex for my wiring, thought it was clever.
z721.jpg

most significant update for tonight, finally setup a dual screen on my desk and got a hell of a start on my EOD helmet. you can see ive started with the top and am working my way down. as a side note, in relation to my previous posts, you can see the AI vent coming together, which i sized with a 40mm fan i have, and it looks like my AI exhaust idea might be feasable after all :)
2o85.jpg

ksnq.jpg

i was also down at bunnings and oh...my...god, i could half my build time if i had the dosh to get everything at once :p also found some 3-6mm MDF so i think that would be a good start for my sliced weapon ideas. battle rifle in particular, and an MA5 once i get a jigsaw and a weekend.
hopefully i can get back to weekly updates but we'll see how we go!

feedback/help/criticisms, have at it :D

JIMMAY!!

Attachments

• 3g0x.jpg
    3g0x.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 227
  • hjfv.jpg
    hjfv.jpg
    692.4 KB · Views: 454
  • hxlw.jpg
    hxlw.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 365
  • e81q.jpg
    e81q.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 379
  • ihoi.jpg
    ihoi.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 371
  • z721.jpg
    z721.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 383
  • ksnq.jpg
    ksnq.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 355
Howdy 405th!! Merry Christmas from jimmay in Oz, may you all have a beauty of a day with your family and loved ones :) happy armoring in 2014!!

Love tabris :D

Hello there 405th :D

looking through my old pictures folder and came across this:

http://www.4shared.com/zip/y17Ry82fba/Halo_Reach_Gifts.html

its a small collection of cool printables from Halo Reach back in the day.

t-t-teaser....
r4kp.jpg
nn77.png
l4t9.jpg

hope you get some good stickers/posters or watevs out of these :D

Jimmay!!

Attachments

• r4kp.jpg
    r4kp.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 372
  • nn77.png
    nn77.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 378
  • l4t9.jpg
    l4t9.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 345
thats why theyr there :) the UNSC and NOBLE cutouts would be good for armor detailing and such.

tabris the one's I'm talking about are for builds and signs not armor. please tell me how danger area unsecured is going to help with armor.

Lol i was agreeing with you about the danger ones being signs. I was singling the unsc logo for amor as a seperate sentence.

here are some of the halo 4 decals

storm_unsc_decals_stickers_diff.jpg

storm_unsc_decals_eagle_crest_diff-1.jpg

storm_unsc_decals_graphics_diff-1.jpg

I hope these help

Attachments

• storm_unsc_decals_eagle_crest_diff-1.jpg
    storm_unsc_decals_eagle_crest_diff-1.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 358
  • storm_unsc_decals_stickers_diff.jpg
    storm_unsc_decals_stickers_diff.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 339
  • storm_unsc_decals_graphics_diff-1.jpg
    storm_unsc_decals_graphics_diff-1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 344
all sweet mate :D

:edit: got pretty much the whole top half of my EOD helmet done, aaaand its way to small :( going to have to restart the whole thing again with much better dimensions. but im still going to finish putting together this one cos im out of printer ink and cant restart right away. plus it will make a nice shelf ornament or something :D that and a mate wanted to have a go at molding something and i promised him an armor piece lol wish me luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back