Ian's ODST Build - Lots O Pics - More Coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iancorrao

*EDIT So you've all seen the battle damaged helmet I created (in pics below), and seeing as how I plan on making my own suit of ODST armor I'll just post my progress here. No need to start an entirely new post, right?

Hey all I've been trolling round these parts for awhile now, and using BenStreeper's vids and guidance I started working on my first ODST helmet last September. Well in a manner of months I got so far as to making a mold, but then the project just sat in my basement waiting for a mother mold. To make a long story short, my wife resparked my crafting interest, by showing me some fan made Garrus costume and I was back to the grind. This week I finally made the mother mold and did my first ever casting of a helmet. I have to say I'm pretty impressed thinking it was doomed to begin with. The cast helmet is for my friend's bday, it matches his armor in Reach of course. I posted a blog here awhile back, so if you'd like to see the early phase of the project click here. Otherwise all the photos below are of my first casted and painted helmet. It still needs some touch up, see visor, but I'm pretty happy with the results so far. My friend doesn't want a wearable helmet, so I'm happy to not have to worry about the ODST Visor conundrum.

DSC_0009.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0019.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

Thanks Jico, up close it sort of makes me wanna puke... but hey the 2nd casting will be for me, and I plan on putting the see through visor in and spending a lot more time on it.

Here are some more pics of the painted helmet, the original "model", and of course our Rubie's Darth Vader helmet... wish I could say I made that! Ha!

DSC_0031.JPG

DSC_0032.JPG

DSC_0033.JPG

DSC_0034.JPG

DSC_0035.JPG

Even though it seems a lot of people chose to make ODST helmets, it's always great seeing different ones. They seem very easy to make your own, one of a kind. I like the one on the right. The metallic look of the paint is really cool.

Thanks guys, yeah the one on the right is the original model, I think I might make that metallic grey the base color of my helmet when I cast it.

An update, I showed my friend the helmet, who's getting it for his bday, and I was kind of scared he'd say something bad about the visor. Instead he seemed to enjoy it, and actually liked the "damage" on the visor so much that he now wants me to give it a cracked visor look. Sounds like fun, I'll post pics when I have them!

Thanks! It almost saddened me to do this, but seeing as how my friend asked for a cracked visor, I figured I would go all out... how about a clean shot through the dome. Here are the pics. You can see my shoddy casting job :rolleyes

DSC_0043.JPG

DSC_0044.JPG

DSC_0045.JPG

DSC_0046.JPG

DSC_0047.JPG

DSC_0048.JPG

DSC_0049.JPG

DSC_0050.JPG

That is awesome! I love the exit wound. And don't worry, the fantastic detail distracts from the shoddy casting.

This is great!!! The head shot is super cool and looks quite real. Nice work man!

Thanks all! I think I'm going to consider this helmet DONE! I get some more smooth-cast320 tonight and will be casting MY ODST helmet, woot. Then I get the visor plastic later this week, and LET THE VISOR EXPERIMENTATION BEGIN! I may end up just making a vaccuum form, but we'll see if I can do it the cheap(lazy) way.

Sidenote - Jonus nice comic! The humor reminds me of MY comic ZombieHood - check my sig. And it seems you make them at the same rate I do - whenever you want! :)

Last night I casted MY helmet, woo! I planned on taking a lot of time on it, but damnit, I am so impatient! I did sand out some imperfections and spent more time cleaning up the helmet than I did with my friends. But still, I only spent about 45 minutes sanding and cleaning. I already cut out the visor as I'm waiting on my acetate plastic to arrive. I plan on experimenting with a mix of techniques for creating the visor. And last night I primed it for paint (no pics of that). But there are pics of the helmet fresh out of the mold, and some doofus (me) putting the helmet on and looking stupid (awesome!). Also below you'll find an ODST Speed paint I did a week or two ago... just for the hell of it.

IMAG0249.jpg

IMAG0250.jpg

IMAG0251.jpg

IMAG0252.jpg

IMAG0253.jpg

IMAG0255.jpg

IMAG0256.jpg

IMAG0257.jpg

ODST Speed Paint small.jpg

That's all for now, more as I have them.

Ha, thanks Jonus! I was itching to work on my helmet at work... but alas there was no way to do that. So I figured, hey, why not draw it?!

NVY ODST, Unfotunately the helmet with the blue visor and gun shot you can't see out of at all, except through the gunshot ha ha. I plan on making my helmet's visor tansparent... or translucent. Which ever it'll be after I tint it. Also, thanks for the comment!

Ha, thanks Jonus! I was itching to work on my helmet at work... but alas there was no way to do that. So I figured, hey, why not draw it?!

Haha, yeah I do that a lot too. I'm sitting at a computer all day but I just want to get home to work on my armour. I have found that there are times when I can get away with putting out pep pieces at my desk though. Otherwise I spend a lot of time spacing out just going through the 405th forums, looking at ref photos, planning in my head...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back