Unity Project 2012 for Child's Play Charity (Looking for donors)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No offence, but you're wrong about the universal pieces. The ONLY ones that are universal are the shins and maybe the boots. The other parts are similar, but not reversible or universal if you will. Think about it, in order for a piece to be worn on either side of the body (universally), then the piece would have to be exactly the same on each side (like the shin pieces).
This is MY understanding of a "universal part:"
Now for some examples to help everybody understand.
To show the difference between universal parts and ones that are different on each side, we'll use the pepped shins and gauntlets from my ODST build because they're similar to the H4 parts i'm corresponding them to.

The shin is a universal piece. that is because it can be worn correctly on either side of the body without any modification. See?
120322_009.jpg

120322_008.jpg

If I were to make a mold of this shin, I could make two casts from it, and one could be used on my right leg, the other for my left.

Now the forearms on the other hand are NOT universal. This is because they CAN NOT be worn correctly on either side without modification. See?
120322_006.jpg

120322_007.jpg

If we were to mold this, we could only use it for one side.

I hate to sound like an ass, but I just want to make sure everybody understands this correctly.

I totally understand that one, there are some semantics to your point, i.e. the specific armor being built (reach gauntlets, boots, shins, and shoulder attachments are universal) but this is halo 4, as far as i can tell the shoulders, knees, boots, and gloves are the only universals while the gauntlets, shins, helmet, biceps, chest, cod, and thigh pieces aren't universal... could be a pain... want to point out as well that the deadline is not available. This leaves me wondering when this armor needs to be finished, i can tell this is going to take several months however I'm sure I'm not the only one curious of when this build needs to be finished.

Jacob I swear I'm not trying to poke holes in your thought bubble or pile more issues on top of current ones, just mentioning this cause it's stuff valid to the build.

-Logan

I totally understand that one, there are some semantics to your point, i.e. the specific armor being built (reach gauntlets, boots, shins, and shoulder attachments are universal) but this is halo 4, as far as i can tell the shoulders, knees, boots, and gloves are the only universals while the gauntlets, shins, helmet, biceps, chest, cod, and thigh pieces aren't universal... could be a pain

Ok, ive reviewed the reference pics and i will agree that the shins, boots, shoulder plates, and handplates are universal. So by the looks of it, we'll need one boot, one shin, one hand, one shoulder plate, one codpiece, one chestpiece, one helmet, two thighs, and two gauntlets (assuming we do in fact mold this stuff). That sound about right?

Ok, ive reviewed the reference pics and i will agree that the shins, boots, shoulder plates, and handplates are universal. So by the looks of it, we'll need one boot, one shin, one hand, one shoulder plate, one codpiece, one chestpiece, one helmet, two thighs, and two gauntlets (assuming we do in fact mold this stuff). That sound about right?

looks right to me however... Jacob said molds only for universal parts so going by that... we only need one boot one hand, one shoulder plate and one knee, the shins aren't universal however, look at the toy on the first post, the inside of the calf is different than the outside of it...

Ok so - The non-universal parts are -

The Helmet
the chest
the forearms
the cod piece
and the thighs

That means the only universal parts are -
The handplates
the shoulders
the knees and shins
and the boots

My concern is weight . I'm thinking of the person who is going to end up with this suit . Will they really want to wear around a suit where the main bulk of it is going to have a serious amount of heft too it?
That is why I wanted everything to be molded and cast out . Because that is not the case anymore , everyone here must make a effort to make your piece as light as possible . This was also a concern last year , so we used smooth-cast 300 to harden the inside of the helmet . It worked beautifully ! Here is a video that Jedistumpy made a few years ago -

and the results of it

I think the pieces such as the chest should be hardened this way . A layer of fiberglass resin on the outside , smooth-cast on the inside (sounds like a pillsbury commercial lol)

That being said , the helmet will still be molded . No one wants fiberglass in their face lol

As far as a deadline , there isn't one . I think we should just focus on making this suit awesome and taking our time . And SeniorRawr - No bubbles poked :)

-Jacob

Last edited by a moderator:
Jbett, do you want me to tackle the guantlets? you never responded to my PM with questions. lol

That is just a toy. A representation. A prototype. If you compare the toy to the game footage the index finger is different. I'm trying my hardest not to look at the toy for references. In the end It depends on the modeler, if they decide that it looks the same inside and out that they make it that way. And even then it's your decision to make it from their model or make your own.

Jbett, do you want me to tackle the guantlets? you never responded to my PM with questions. lol

That would be awesome!

jacob, look closely at the model toy's shin pieces, they arent the same on inside and outside

That is just a toy. A representation. A prototype. If you compare the toy to the game footage the index finger is different. I'm trying my hardest not to look at the toy for references. In the end It depends on the modeler, if they decide that it looks the same inside and out that they make it that way. And even then it's your decision to make it from their model or make your own.

When we find a model for the shins , whoever is doing them will have to decide when they pep the model .

Hey guys i dont have any updates for you guys yet, but i did just now ordered some sintra and styrene so, ill be starting the BR as soon as the stuff arrives! :)

Hey guys i dont have any updates for you guys yet, but i did just now ordered some sintra and styrene so, ill be starting the BR as soon as the stuff arrives! :)

Awesometastic ! I can't wait to see it started!

btw - The print my father was working on didn't turn out the way we wanted , so he re did it and it looks amazing! I'll post a little preview tomorrow !

-Jacob

Awesometastic ! I can't wait to see it started!

btw - The print my father was working on didn't turn out the way we wanted , so he re did it and it looks amazing! I'll post a little preview tomorrow !

-Jacob

I cant wait to see it! Speaking of sintra though, My bank card declined my order for some unknown reason, anyone know of a site that sells sintra that accepts paypal?

As promised , Here is a picture of the new Halo 4 print that everyone who works on the project and donates too it will receive !

Enjoy!

DSCF0394.jpg

I cant wait to see it! Speaking of sintra though, My bank card declined my order for some unknown reason, anyone know of a site that sells sintra that accepts paypal?

http://www.foamboardsource.com/sintra-pvc
they have a large variety of sizes and even colors, white being the best lol

As promised , Here is a picture of the new Halo 4 print that everyone who works on the project and donates too it will receive !

Enjoy!

DSCF0394.jpg

DUDE!!!!! Thats awesome, i saw it and my jaw dropped. Your dad is awesome!

http://www.foamboardsource.com/sintra-pvc
they have a large variety of sizes and even colors, white being the best lol

DUDE!!!!! Thats awesome, i saw it and my jaw dropped. Your dad is awesome!

I agree, this is very impressive. Props to your dad for doing this, it looks amazing! Now are we all going to be signing it and then everyone will get a copy with the signatures, or do we all just get unsigned prints?

Also, i just downloaded the thigh piece pep from kingrahl (amazing job on those file by the way!), so expect updated next week probably. I cant wait to get started!

After a couple of people suggesting that the picture be darkened , here is the new and final drawing! Everyone who contributes in some way , shape , or form will receive a print of this! Hope you like it!

Unitydrawing14.jpg

here is a comparison between the old and new

oldvsnew2.jpg

-Jacob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back