Saber's Second Project- Agent Texas Style! (PIC HEAVY)

Status
Not open for further replies.
it looks awesome, you have made progress :p

I suuuuurrrre have! hahah

I may continue on with the bondo today but I also have a friend who is coming over. It's up in the air at this point but I'll be sure to keep you guys posted as soon as I get more progress done!

Good evening everyone!

Here's what I got for you today...

A lit up Shoulder! *YAY!*

Here is a test run of the light with the lights off (Sorry for the poor picture quality...)
PICT0058.jpg

PICT0060.jpg

As you can see, I clearly did not do the wiring for the light. That is because I found the LED "Booklamp" at the Dollar Tree!!!!! CRAZY! :p All I had to do was cut off the clip with my dremel and then glue it in! The battery life is a full year (atleast that's what it says on the packaging) but if the battery were to die, there is a screw that I can *err...* unscrew and replace it.

For the plastic to cover the hole for the light, I just cut out the clear plastic from the packaging! Since I didn't want the light to be so pure, I just covered it with hotglue and smeared it up, giving it a fogged up appearance!

Now here is what I have gotten done on the AR...

Far away...
PICT0067.jpg

CLOSE UP!
PICT0066.jpg

I know, I know... It looks like it was puked on by Ronald McDonald! But I have a very clear explanation for this!!!!

It is REALLY hard to Bondo pepwork that doesn't have fiberglass reinforcing it. That's why I resorted to using craft foam to help smooth out curves. It's working very nicely!!! What's more, the foam is actually adding a realistic weight to it so when it's finished, it will feel like I'm actually holding a gun and not just a prop.

For now, I just have the front end of it covered in foam and I started putting another thin layer of resin on the foam to stiffen it up.

A soft, feathery Assault rifle is not very menacing, folks...

But I'll keep the foam on the handle as is... ;-P

And lastly, I have finished with the bondo work on one of the shins! Hooray!

PICT0069.jpg

PICT0070.jpg

PICT0072-1.jpg

The detailing was a pain in the arse, but I'm REALLY happy with the results! Some parts looks a little rough, but I was planning on battle damaging the paint so it wouldn't look so bad.

I was able to get the silver and the top coat of black on the shin this evening. I don't really like this can that I'm using, so the paint might be a little patchy. I'll prbably have to fix it in the morning.

PICT0083-1.jpg

Also, I might be trying out a new painting technique that I saw on Hyo's thread for her Reach Armor to give the color a little more depth. Don't know how it'll turn out, since my armor is black. But it's worth a try!

Okay, that wasn't the last thing I had to say... I lied... *You fiend!*

I don't have pics for these, but I glad I remembered so I could update you further.
I have pepped the second shoulder (finally...) and I have also pepped the left thigh. The thigh now has two layers of resin and the shoulder has one. They should be fully glassed or mostly glassed by the end of tomorrow or the day after.

Also, the other shin and gauntlet are nearing being done in the bondo stage. The bondo that I didn't put enough hardener in has finally dried and I've started sanding them more.

Heehee... I've dominated the front half of my dad's shed with my armor build... :p
PICT0081-1.jpg

Okay, folks. There you have it.
I hope you've enjoyed my silly banter within all this awesome costume-buildiness!

Please comment and critique and have a good night!

It's a good night chicken! :p
PICT0080-1.jpg

Great work so far!

I have a quick question though. With the foam on the AR, isn't the resin eating through the foam? Usually resin reacts kind of badly with that stuff lol

Anyway excellent build so far, keep up the good work!

Great work so far!

I have a quick question though. With the foam on the AR, isn't the resin eating through the foam? Usually resin reacts kind of badly with that stuff lol

Anyway excellent build so far, keep up the good work!

Thanks for the compliments!
As for the foam, when I was outside, the resin was on the foam for a good two hours. In that time, I didn't see any "resin eating" going on. I was reading on other cosplay sites, looking for a way to harden the foam and a person suggested resin. They didn't have any problems with the foam, so I figured, "Hey, I'll see if it works!"

Another method I knew of was clear nail polish... But that would be too expensive to buy ALLLLLL of these little bottles of clear nail polish to have it soak up and not fully harden the foam.

I just hope what you say isn't true, or I'll be a very unhappy camper... :/

We'll just have to see till morning...

And thanks again for your kind compliments! :D

Another quick update!

Here's what I got for you tonight.

I've finished the first shin!!! :D
PICT0004-1.jpg

PICT0002-1.jpg

PICT0003-1.jpg

PICT0001-1.jpg

PICT0007-1.jpg

Again, sorry about the poor picture quality... I'm tired... hahah
I have the padding all installed and I also put a LED light in the back. It doesn't compromise any comfort whatsoever, so I'm happy with it.

PICT0006-1.jpg

My dry-brush technique needs some improvement, but I'll probably get a hang of it by the time my suit is finshed. I kept catching myself putting on the pieces that I have finished and walk around the yard and house all giggly. My parents think I'm wierd, but oh well... :p

This isn't all that I have done today. I only had time to take pics of the shin tonight...

I glassed the left thigh and 1/3 of the right shoulder is glassed. I'll finish glassing the shoulder (after buying more fiberglass) and start sanding the thigh.

THE AR IS SAFE! I checked on it first thing this morning and there was NO resin hole burning in the foam at all so I'm super happy that it worked out. Today the work that I had done on the AR was to slowly (in tiny squirts at a time) fill it up with expanding foam. So far, there's no bulging or any other issues and tomorrow I'll probably start bondoing the seams in the foam to finish it.

I did more sanding on the right gauntlet and second shin. I was really sloppy on my last layer of bondo that I applied on them so it might take a while before I get everything smoothed out.

Tomorrow will include a lot of bondo and sanding. I'll keep you posted as I progress.

Please comment and critique.
Have a good night!

A little update before Fall (and the cold) sets in...

Hey boys and girls,
I have a little update for you that I would like to share.
Sorry for the double posting, but it's an update so...... Blah.

For starters, I added some extra little details on the shin that I have already done. I bought some hex head bolts from the Home Depot, cut off the stems, painted 'em black, battle damaged 'em a bit, then glued them into the indents in the shin.
Here's what it looks like. Needless to say, I'm happy with whatI looks like. :0)
PICT0039.jpg

PICT0037-1.jpg

Next, the right gauntlet is completely finished! All of the padding is installed and there are no missing pieces either! Some pics were taken before I actually finished, so don't get confused.
PICT00302.jpg

Pertaining to the pieces in the bondo stage... They're still in the bondo stage. The second shin and the left thigh are almost finished, but the AR is being a little tempermental right now... So that may need to be finished at a later date.

Some problems that I did encounter though with the thigh was that a small section indented while it was curing during glassing. It actually preventing me from getting my leg out of it if I were to put it on. When I tried the first time, I almost panicked a bit when I saw that I could get my leg out. So what I'm doing right now is adding a bunch of bondo on the outside to round it out and then dremel out the inside to make it a perfect circle again. Once that's done, I'll add a layer of fiberglass to make sure that it doesn't crumble after two uses (unlike my last one).
Here is the indent in the thigh. You can see it on the upper right.
PICT00192.jpg

Back onto weapons, I have started a sliced Reach M6 Pistol.
As of right now, I have traced out all of the parts that I need and I have cut out and glued the magazine clip, the trigger, the data link (that connects to the bottom of the front part of the gun), and the top attachment.
PICT00532.jpg

PICT0054.jpg

You can pretty much say that I have hardly put a dent in the darn mat board. To glue this monster together, I evolved from hotglue to Tacky glue. I knew that hotglue wouldn't work for this project and the tacky glue is working fairly well.

Kudos to carpathiavh99 for slicing the file.

Last thing, I have pepped the chest piece. I made sure it fit me around the waist on the LD file. But now in HD, the shoulders are a little broad. I may have broader shoulders than most women, but not THIS broad.
I'm just gunna live with it though. It fits me A LOT better than my last one (which actually fit my dad perfectly). I'll be adding the support struts later (when I have the time).
PICT00402.jpg

PICT0043-1.jpg
PICT00422.jpg

PICT0045-1.jpg

PICT0046-1.jpg

I also have the Helmet printed out and sitting on my desk right now. I don't know when I'll get to it, but once the temperatures drop to the oh-so-normal-Oregon 50-60 degree range and resining and other parts relating to that are out of the question, I'll probably get it done within a few weeks.

That's all I got for you today. And hopefully, I'll getmore done before it gets too cold. If you guys happen to know what I can do to help pieces cure faster when I have no warm garage to hide my unfinished pieces in, that would be great.
I recall there being a winter "curing-box" somewhere in the threads, but I can't find it AT. ALL.

Thanks for taking the time to check out my thread.

Please comment and critique!
Cheers

A little more progress

Hey guys and gals of 405th!

i have a little more progress to show you, I see that my thread is just as cold as it is outside- Which is short to say, "FREEZING.

I've pepped a helmet and it fits better than my first one.
PICT0070.jpg

PICT0071.jpg

PICT0072.jpg

PICT0073.jpg

You can see that my new one is smaller than my older one. Which is good because even with padding, my old helmet still had A LOT of wiggle room for my head. I know it's a little lop-sided, but I'm working on the struts as I type this.

Before Halo-ween, I finished the right shoulder. Just in time for a few parties. Including a bowling party. The lights, padding and temporary straps were attached to the shoulder and they worked great.
PICT0069.jpg

The bowling party was successful and I didn't have any problems with mobility! :-D I actually got the highest score out of the entire party! I even got a few strikes! :p Even though I only wore the arm pieces and my old helmet (which was repainted black), people were still really impressed.
I also handed out candy to trick-or-treaters (all three of them) with my costume on and the reactions were just amazing! A parent even asked if I could take a pic with their little Gladiator son. What an honor!

Moving on with more progress:

I added the little bumpy things using some tubing on my older helmet. Now I can officially say that this piece is done. I feel so much better about the piece now that I know that everything that was needed is on it.
PICT0076.jpg

I finished the left thigh! :-D
PICT0062-1.jpg

PICT0061.jpg

PICT0060.jpg

I even cut a little bit out of the back to add to the mobility.
It's still a little tight, but I'm getting into a work-out routine a few weeks ago so it should start fitting soon. Actually, I tried it on about a week ago and I'm already starting to see the difference in fit! Whispers: I've already dropped a dress size... ;P

I have the sliced pistol fully glued together. It's just a matter of bondoing to perfection. (Pic as seen above: Sorry for the "divine light" emitting from it. I have no idea why it did that.

As for the AR... It's a progressing failure... :( Parts keep warping and falling apart and every time I look at it, I want to burn it. (pic at the end... before it went to crap...)

The second shin is almost finished, just a little more fine-tuning with some sanding and bondo. (pic at the end)

I've been looking into foam armor and it looks much easier than the pepwork/resin/fiberglassing method. I'm thinking about trying it out after finishing this suit. A half glassed- half foamed suit may look wierd...
I actually have some foam here at home and I want to try and experiment with it a little!
If any one has any suggestions for foam armor, I'd appreciate any and all input.

Here is everything I have together before I finished the shoulder.
It's slowly progressing, but it's progress nonetheless!
PICT0055.jpg

I hope you guys enjoyed the pics and any input will be highly appreciated.

Cheers

Hey all! I don't have much, but I present to you a boot.
Credits to Robogenesis for the 3-piece boot file.
PICT0008-1.jpg

PICT0007-2.jpg

PICT0006-2.jpg

PICT0005-1.jpg

PICT0004-2.jpg

PICT0003-2.jpg

PICT0002-2.jpg

PICT0001-3.jpg

I've also fiddled with foam a little bit and I built an elbow pad from the H3 marine costume. Credits to Vrogy for his pep file.
PICT0010-1.jpg

That's all for now!
Stay frosty, 405th.
Alexis

Wow everything looks great. Why don't you use the Low def AR and resin + rondo the inside? I made 2 ARs (1 for my son and 1 for myself). I used modpodge to seal the outside and use smoothcast on the inside.

Wow everything looks great. Why don't you use the Low def AR and resin + rondo the inside? I made 2 ARs (1 for my son and 1 for myself). I used modpodge to seal the outside and use smoothcast on the inside.

Thanks for your compliments!

And I have tried constructing a Low-def AR. Twice, actually. Both of them ended up being garbage before I even got to the hardening stage. I guess I thought that if I tried a HD file, it would turn out better. It did, at first. But it just ticks me off. I don't have the heart to throw it away though. I keep thinking that it'll magically turn into this super-awesome-amazing gun but I'll have it let it go.

I was even thinking of scratch building my next attempt because I'm a real stickler for detail, unfortunately...

But if I decide not to scratch-build, I'll probably try out what you suggested. I've never rondoed anything before so it might take a few more attempts to get that right.

Wow that suit looks awesome. Even your first build looks way better than my first ODST build. Keep up the progress. If only the Assault rifle fairies would come down and magically make your AR better. Oh wait too late. That thing looks absolutely sweet.

Wow that suit looks awesome. Even your first build looks way better than my first ODST build. Keep up the progress. If only the Assault rifle fairies would come down and magically make your AR better. Oh wait too late. That thing looks absolutely sweet.

Haha, thanks! :)
Unfortunately, my first suit only had enough fiberglass on it to last two outings. It just crumbled and fell apart. I ended up throwing everything away except the helmet. It's sad, but I've learned my lessons and I will be making this suit 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times better than my last suit. I'm hoping it will rise to standard and not sit in the Noob Forum anymore. Even my old suit made it to the Creation Discussion threads!

Quick entry here:
I present to you the right boot!
I cut everything last night and then glued it all together tonight. It doesn't have the struts in the pics 'cuz I was just showing you how it looks on my boots. It's funny how the right boot (which has no numbers) looks a lot cleaner than the left boot. Nothing a little Bondo can't fix!
PICT0001-4.jpg
PICT0003-3.jpg
PICT0004-3.jpg

I also wanted to show you my plan for keeping the boots on my actual boots. (I know, weird wording.)
PICT0002-3.jpg
I don't have laces on my boots. It's a side zipper. I plan on making the boots armor permanent so I don't have any chipping and "Horse clicking" like I did on my last suit. But I need access to my zipper or I can't get my boot on and off. I plan on inserting magnets to the sides of the top attachment so I can reach my zipper with ease. I'm going to be following Longshot's Tut on how to make the boots permanent using Expanding Foam and Shoo Goo.
I won't be getting to that till later, but I'll be letting you know how it goes when I eventually get to that point.
And an extra treat: I created my own progress pic. So marvel in my Photoshop Mastery! *cough* Not really...
ArmorProgress.png

That's all for now.
Stay Frosty, 405thers!
Alexis

Attachments

• PICT0001-4.jpg
    PICT0001-4.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 109
  • ArmorProgress.png
    ArmorProgress.png
    789 KB · Views: 144
  • PICT0002-3.jpg
    PICT0002-3.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 132
  • PICT0004-3.jpg
    PICT0004-3.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 130
  • PICT0003-3.jpg
    PICT0003-3.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 112
Here we go with another quick update.

I decided to have another try at the AR and I'm stickin' to the Low Def AR right now. I'll add some foamie details later after I resin the outside and rondo the inside (I'm so nervous!).

I still have to make the resin-curing box, but Term Finals are this week so I'll be getting on that as soon as possible.

But for now...
Pictures of me screwing around with my freshly pepped AR!
Kudos to FLYING SQUIRL for the pep file.

Tex at ease... With every intention to be intimidating at the same time.
NewGun3.jpg

Ima take out yo' shields...
NewGun2.jpg

... THEN IMA BASH YO' FACE IN! >8D
NewGun1.jpg

That's all for now!
Stay Frosty, 405thers!
-Alexis

Attachments

• NewGun1.jpg
    NewGun1.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 114
  • NewGun2.jpg
    NewGun2.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 108
  • NewGun3.jpg
    NewGun3.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 114
This is awesome stuff so far! I am just starting out with my first helmet! So hopefully I do an alright job.

I'm sure you'll do just fine! And thanks!
If I might make a suggestion, if you're planning on making a whole suit, I wouldn't work on the helmet first. It's one of the most difficult pieces to build and if it doesn't pan out for you in the beginning, it may ruin your whole costuming experience all together.
But if you are building just the helmet, start with a low def file and fiddle with your scaling to make sure that it will fit. And then if you do a decent job, and if you feel a little daring, you can move on to a high def file. Pepping an HD file can be time consuming so don't be afraid to take your time!
I hope I've helped a little and good luck on your build! PM me if you have any questions! And welcome to the forums!

Whoo! Nicely done thus far. I like it!

Thanks for the compliment! :D

I'm currently at a stand still at this point. It's so cold outside, I can't work on anything and I don't have the money to buy a space heater for my cardboard curing box. :(
I'll try to snatch one from my mom and try to get some resining done on the chest and helmet and I'll also try to get some bondo going on the sliced Pistol.

I'll try and keep you posted with what little progress I get in these next few months.

Stay Frosty, 405thers ('cuz it sure is here).
-Alexis

Hey all! I come bearing pictures!

The weather was sunny and bearable in temperature so I decided to break out the bondo and work on my pistol a little bit.
I used A LOT of hardener so the cold didn't affect it as much.

PICT0006-3.jpg

PICT0007-3.jpg

PICT0008-2.jpg

Here is my curing box in action for the first time and so far, it has not disappointed me. I'm actually really happy with how fast the bondo cured given the temperature outside.

PICT0009-1.jpg

While I was getting bondo on the pieces, I had this heater warm up the inside of the box till I was ready to put the pieces in.

PICT0010-2.jpg

After putting the pieces in the box, I sealed the it with painters tape and let it sit for a while. Afraid that it would lose its heat before the bondo cured, I moved the box into the laundry room. It wasn't very warm in there, but it was warmer than outside and I waited an hour before I took the box back outside.

PICT0011-1.jpg

After taking the box outside, I checked on the pieces and they were rock-solid. SUCCESS!

I got a little bit of sanding done, but it was all by hand, so nothing is particularly smooth. I couldn't get the saw head off of the multi-tool to get the sanding head on. *shrugs* I might get more done tomorrow.

PICT0013-1.jpg

PICT0015-1.jpg

PICT0016-1.jpg

That's all I got for you today, folks. Hopefully tomorrow will be just as beautiful and less frigid and I can get more bondo work done.

Stay Frosty, 405thers!
-Alexis

Woah! Looks Good! I totally forgot about the curing box idea! Thanks for reminding me! hahaha. Its 10 degrees here. So that combined with a warm garage should get me where I need to go!

The pistol looks awesome! I can't wait to see the rest of it get detailed now. Don't keep me waiting!!! :p

-GundamLoki

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back