Tutorial: Make & Paint Your Own See-through Visor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks ;) Hey would it be possible to even buy a chrome visor and paint transparent red on it, or would the paint run off? I'm having bad luck finding mirror red visors.

You should be able to paint over the chrome. Just test a small area that's going to be hidden. If the paint beads, use a little more soap in the mix. The chrome would need to be faultlessly clean of any oils before you paint on top of it.

Redshirt

How durable is this paint after it is applied? Resilient to scratching and such? It's a great tutorial and awesome idea, just wondering about life span of it (may be earlier on and may of accidentally over-read it). Thanks and thank you tons for sharing!

How durable is this paint after it is applied? Resilient to scratching and such? It's a great tutorial and awesome idea, just wondering about life span of it (may be earlier on and may of accidentally over-read it). Thanks and thank you tons for sharing!

Four and a half years on, it's still holding up. The costume makes an annual appearance for Halloween and Halo 4 launches. Hopefully it will appear again soon for the demo videos of the Spartan Laser when it's done. If the visor gets hard use or flexing, I expect it might chip more, After all, you are violating one of the rules of surface prep for a good paint job--rough up the surface to promote adhesion. If you did that, you wouldn't be able to see through it. I think if you were expecting more wear, you might want to put a clear coat over the tint layer, but it would have to be of the highest quality, preferably catalyzed. Expensive, but if wet sanded and buffed, would give you a much clearer visor than the base model (metalizer & clear tint) demo'd here with added toughness as a side effect.

Thanks for your interest. Although this isn't the clearest visor method, I think it is the only one that looks like the game visor--not transparent-appearing at all. If you masked a hexagon pattern into the metalizer layer, this system would make the best-looking H4 visor yet.

Redshirt

would it work with spray paint ?

Ummm, no.

Unless you want a visor that makes you completely blind :p

The point of this method is to make a visor that can be seen through one side and be opague through the other side. Using spray paint would make it opague through both sides.

Ummm, no.

Unless you want a visor that makes you completely blind :p

The point of this method is to make a visor that can be seen through one side and be opague through the other side. Using spray paint would make it opague through both sides.

Depends how thickly you put it on.

It's not a good idea either way, but. It is​ technically possible.

It really needs an airbrush and the fine Metalizer paint. Rattle cans just won't atomize the metal paint fine enough or give you control enough to get a see-through layer. The metalizer paints have only a very small percentage of pigment as well as a carrier that evaporates to leave very little excess material. The thinness of your layer is the key to being able to see anything through it. A decent airbrush may seem like big money up front, but it is an investment if taken care of properly. If you lack access to an airbrush or experience, make contact with your local scale model club and see if you can get someone interested to help. Above all, practice the process from beginning to end on a waste visor. My visor is my second attempt and I've outlined a few things I'd do differently when I do it again.

Redshirt

Excellent tutorial, sir. I don't know if I will ever make this monumental an effort (at least while I'm employed and raising a child), but it's good to know the info is here if I need it.

Gold Reflective Window Film

It depends on the style of helmet mine looks like crap now because its the halo 3 eva and about 5-10% of the paint has come off. I'm in the process of rebuilding it and wasn't sure if i could heat and vacuum form gold reflective window film onto it would that work? or is it going to seriously mess up my visor? Gold Reflective Window Film

Hey, would it be possible to use a painters mask? Those are cheaper and more common as many of my cousins are painters and landscapers.

AranelZelda, Welcome to the 405th. Please note the date on your replies. This thread is over 2 years old. Necro posting is frowned upon here as it pushes more recent and relevant topics down the list. If you do have a question, PM the author directly. Just be aware that it may be a while till you get a reply......

Hey, would it be possible to use a painters mask? Those are cheaper and more common as many of my cousins are painters and landscapers.

Yes, you absolutely could use that mask. However, that mask has only a single curvature (curves left to right to wrap around the sides of the face). Most Halo visors have compound curvature (also curves top to bottom). I would recommend this mask to give a better starting point. It's cheaper too! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YA27OZS?psc=1

B00YA27OZS

Great thinking there. Good luck on your build. I look forward to seeing your thread.

Dirtdives is generally correct about necroposting. Except for the stickies, we try not to post in threads that have been dead more than 6-8 months. This tutorial was stickied for several years. I didn't realize the admins had unstuck it. But hey, it's live now with a cheaper and more commonly available alternative visor!

Redshirt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back