Unity Project 2012 for Child's Play Charity (Looking for donors)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I think on it... It would be easiest even still to make it out of foam. Using the pep 3d view as reference.

I wish we could do it that way, because it would be incredibly easier to use foam. But unfortunately, the silicone rubber that will be used to mold all the armor DOES NOT enjoy working with foam. I had a pretty nasty ordeal with that, and id rather we not totally ruin a piece of this suit that someone has put hours upon hours of work into. Ya know what i mean?

I wish we could do it that way, because it would be incredibly easier to use foam. But unfortunately, the silicone rubber that will be used to mold all the armor DOES NOT enjoy working with foam. I had a pretty nasty ordeal with that, and id rather we not totally ruin a piece of this suit that someone has put hours upon hours of work into. Ya know what i mean?

Wasnt aware it was going to be pepped then molded, thought you guys were going to do it pure pep.... -feels like a baka- I'll have to re read XD well knowing that, it should come out even better than i thought it might before... cant wait to see progress pics guys.

Now that I think on it... It would be easiest even still to make it out of foam. Using the pep 3d view as reference.

Every piece will be molded and cast out . Foam wouldn't really work then :/

Wasnt aware it was going to be pepped then molded, thought you guys were going to do it pure pep.... -feels like a baka- I'll have to re read XD well knowing that, it should come out even better than i thought it might before... cant wait to see progress pics guys.

Once again , every piece will be molded and cast out lol

I was super happy to see that this thread has so many replies when I got back this week! Thanks guys!

-Jacob

PS
There are still positions available

Once again , every piece will be molded and cast out lol

PS
There are still positions available

Firstly, DOH!!! Secondly, what positions?

[Edit]
Just looked at the first post on page 1, feelin useless again cause work and preperations for sakura con are overwhelming to the point i cant even work my own suit... wish i could help with chest, knees/shins, gauntlets, or undersuit... if sombody needs supplies or their pep work printed out, pm me and i'll see what i can do.

I have a question and im sure a few others may be wondering, You guys said that you will be making molds of all the parts for this suit, Im curious as to who will end up owning these molds and will the parts be reproduced with these molds and made available to anyone and in the end who would profit off the cast copies or would all proceeds go to the the Childs Play auction? Reason I ask this is, im very familar with the molding process as I make molds of most of my work and I know its not cheap, but I also know that since I built the parts I also own the molding/casting rights to the parts being reproduced. I have no problem with helping out a charity but by molding and casting the entire suit will add alot of cost to make the suit wouldn't it be cheaper to have each person build their parts that they agreed to build and finish that part to be included in the auction vs molding each part and making a cast copy for each part therefore increasing the price to build this suit, please don't attack and bash me Im just curious because I know what is involved in molding and casting but I also know how it would feel to have a part I worked hard on molded and casted then someone else making a profit on my hard work, I just think that you should clarify this in your first post as to what your intentions for the molds and where any proceeds will go to if reproductions are made availabe to anybody, this way it will avoid confusion, I will admit knowing that molds are going to be made of all the peices has made me shy away from this project, Its a good project for a good cause just some things need to be explained better

I have a question and im sure a few others may be wondering, You guys said that you will be making molds of all the parts for this suit, Im curious as to who will end up owning these molds and will the parts be reproduced with these molds and made available to anyone and in the end who would profit off the cast copies or would all proceeds go to the the Childs Play auction? Reason I ask this is, im very familar with the molding process as I make molds of most of my work and I know its not cheap, but I also know that since I built the parts I also own the molding/casting rights to the parts being reproduced. I have no problem with helping out a charity but by molding and casting the entire suit will add alot of cost to make the suit wouldn't it be cheaper to have each person build their parts that they agreed to build and finish that part to be included in the auction vs molding each part and making a cast copy for each part therefore increasing the price to build this suit, please don't attack and bash me Im just curious because I know what is involved in molding and casting but I also know how it would feel to have a part I worked hard on molded and casted then someone else making a profit on my hard work, I just think that you should clarify this in your first post as to what your intentions for the molds and where any proceeds will go to if reproductions are made availabe to anybody, this way it will avoid confusion, I will admit knowing that molds are going to be made of all the peices has made me shy away from this project, Its a good project for a good cause just some things need to be explained better

That's a great question Hyper! It's also a question that I am still trying to work on a answer for . I do not know exactly how we should handle it . If anyone has a good solution , I would love to hear it! Thanks!

-Jacob

I’ve been thinking on this for some time (since the hand model was said to be molded). Now, since each person is making their own part by hand and for consideration to the costuming community at large, for the parts to be molded and replicated more than the once for CHARITY would be a grievous insult to everyone I’ve thought of 3 answers.

1. After making a copy of the part. Send the mold and original back to the individual who made the original.
2. Make a wonderful montage video of the molds being destroyed SOON after the parts are pulled from them. http://youtu.be/2doXNSPxTmQ
3. Make enough copies of the parts to be able to send a full suit to each helpful member participating in the project.

That's a great question Hyper! It's also a question that I am still trying to work on a answer for . I do not know exactly how we should handle it . If anyone has a good solution , I would love to hear it! Thanks!

-Jacob
Not exactly sure if there would be issues on this, just an idea, perhaps sending the molds to those who made the part would be a good way of making sure people don't work for lack of ownership. Like i said, just an idea, if it wouldnt work out i understand but I'm willing to help pay for shipment of the molds.
I do realize this would be fubar for the people who make rhe molds for the armor and i cant figure out a way to give them credit for the production of the armor molds...

Seems like someone's going to get the short end of the stick no matter how i look at it though...

I’ve been thinking on this for some time (since the hand model was said to be molded). Now, since each person is making their own part by hand and for consideration to the costuming community at large, for the parts to be molded and replicated more than the once for CHARITY would be a grievous insult to everyone I’ve thought of 3 answers.

1. After making a copy of the part. Send the mold and original back to the individual who made the original.
2. Make a wonderful montage video of the molds being destroyed SOON after the parts are pulled from them. http://youtu.be/2doXNSPxTmQ
3. Make enough copies of the parts to be able to send a full suit to each helpful member participating in the project.

Sorry about the double post,

I like all 3 ideas but the 3rd would be very costly to the molder.

While im not involved in this project what I say really dont have to count but I would suggest that each person build their parts that they agreed to build, once the parts are finished they move on along the list of people who were to do the next step on that part and so on till each piece is completed, as for molding, I would only mold the parts that are a universal fit meaning they can fit right or left, this will speed up the whole build process, after the parts are molded and cast, the original mold can be offered to the original builder or destroyed, by doing it this way, it will cut down the cost of this whole project, speed up the project because you've cut out the molding casting process, and it will keep everything fair and after the project everybody will be happy with the results with no feelings of being suckered into building something that someone else now owns casting rights to, also when the person who wins the auction suit gets it in their hands they will own the parts actually hand built from each builder who participated in the project, this is my 2 cents and you guys can take what ever route you like, I really want to see this project get completed

Also some quick tips, You may want to figure out the scale for the suit, like base it off a person that is 5'9" to 6' this way when all the parts are together you will have parts that look proportional with each other
And for silicone to mold the parts that are universal fit take donations for that as silicone and casting resin is not cheap

Hope to see this whole thing come together, sorry that I jumped in but I just wanted to avoid confusion later on down the road and see a project like this become a possible mess, I think its good for the members of this forum to come together and do a project like this, but it does need some sort of plan and organization

Sorry for the absence lately, I manage 2 bands full time So i've been busy with that.

BUt yeah Once I can sell somethings to buy more materials i'll be starting on the BR asap!

just incase you were wondering what im selling, im selling my DMR msg me if you're interested.

oh and btw i've been deprived of internet access lately, were anymore HALO4 Br pics released?

In regards to the debate over molding and casting:
Honestly I don't even see why there is a need to mold anything at all. The only universal parts I can think of are the shins and maybe the boots, but other than that, I think its sort of pointless. So why not just make everything by hand and eliminate the nasty costs of silicone and casting resin?

In addition, what if we only molded the helmet, then made a casts of the helmet in something cheap (like just plain old fiberglass resin), and send one cast to each major contributor to the build? Then once everyone has one, we burn the mold in a fire/strap it with C4/shoot it with a shotgun. Ya know, to honor Johnson in the vain of "Take me out.. with a bang." Then we all take an oath not to re-mold them.
That sound good to anyone?

The shoulder would cost $112. It would be immensely more cost effective to just do the shoulders the old-fashioned way. That shoulder doesn't look like it would be a very hard pep to do anyway, so I don't see a problem with just doing it from pep and fiberglass/rondo.

wow! what was the PPC of the material you were gonna use? I was thinking about having my helmet done that way.hoping it would be at least rigid enough to then make a mold from.

wow! what was the PPC of the material you were gonna use? I was thinking about having my helmet done that way.hoping it would be at least rigid enough to then make a mold from.
Dunno about the material, but the helmet is even worse, its like $450 to get it made!

I like the third one . I think everyone who participates should get rough cast armor pieces .

While im not involved in this project what I say really dont have to count but I would suggest that each person build their parts that they agreed to build, once the parts are finished they move on along the list of people who were to do the next step on that part and so on till each piece is completed, as for molding, I would only mold the parts that are a universal fit meaning they can fit right or left, this will speed up the whole build process, after the parts are molded and cast, the original mold can be offered to the original builder or destroyed, by doing it this way, it will cut down the cost of this whole project, speed up the project because you've cut out the molding casting process, and it will keep everything fair and after the project everybody will be happy with the results with no feelings of being suckered into building something that someone else now owns casting rights to, also when the person who wins the auction suit gets it in their hands they will own the parts actually hand built from each builder who participated in the project, this is my 2 cents and you guys can take what ever route you like, I really want to see this project get completed

Also some quick tips, You may want to figure out the scale for the suit, like base it off a person that is 5'9" to 6' this way when all the parts are together you will have parts that look proportional with each other
And for silicone to mold the parts that are universal fit take donations for that as silicone and casting resin is not cheap

Hope to see this whole thing come together, sorry that I jumped in but I just wanted to avoid confusion later on down the road and see a project like this become a possible mess, I think its good for the members of this forum to come together and do a project like this, but it does need some sort of plan and organization

In regards to the debate over molding and casting:
Honestly I don't even see why there is a need to mold anything at all. The only universal parts I can think of are the shins and maybe the boots, but other than that, I think its sort of pointless. So why not just make everything by hand and eliminate the nasty costs of silicone and casting resin?

In addition, what if we only molded the helmet, then made a casts of the helmet in something cheap (like just plain old fiberglass resin), and send one cast to each major contributor to the build? Then once everyone has one, we burn the mold in a fire/strap it with C4/shoot it with a shotgun. Ya know, to honor Johnson in the vain of "Take me out.. with a bang." Then we all take an oath not to re-mold them.
That sound good to anyone?

Thank you all for your ideas .

Based off of these -

The molds will only be created for universal parts .
Every contributor will receive rough cast pieces to make their own armor .
the molds that are created will be sent back to the original makers of the pieces .
On the off chance that someone doesn't want their mold ...........I do like the C4 idea ;)

Thanks again guys!

BTW - SeniorRawr will be receiving a cast of the helmet for his donations too the project . The same goes for everyone who donates a decent amount of money too the project .

Thank you all for your effort so far . Let's get this show on the road!

-Jacob

EDIT:

Sorry for the absence lately, I manage 2 bands full time So i've been busy with that.

BUt yeah Once I can sell somethings to buy more materials i'll be starting on the BR asap!

just incase you were wondering what im selling, im selling my DMR msg me if you're interested.

oh and btw i've been deprived of internet access lately, were anymore HALO4 Br pics released?

Here is a thread that has some HD models on it -

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/36139-Halo-4-Battle-Rifle-can-you-guys-use-this

Hope it works for you!

I guess shapeways charges a printing fee and then material cost per cubic cm. They show the cheapest when you look at it which is sandstone. The white plastic costs more, $160 for the shoulder and $30 for the hand.

The molds will only be created for universal parts .
Every contributor will receive rough cast pieces to make their own armor .
the molds that are created will be sent back to the original makers of the pieces .
On the off chance that someone doesn't want their mold ...........I do like the C4 idea ;)

Wait, how will everyone be getting rough cast pieces to make their own suits if we're only molding the universal parts?

Wait, how will everyone be getting rough cast pieces to make their own suits if we're only molding the universal parts?

Yeah...I didn't think about that .

Let's see -

The only 2 parts that wouldn't be universal would be the chest and the cod piece . Problem is - Would the average laymen want to have a heavy chest piece made of Resin , fiberglass , and Bondo to wear around? With all of the bondo work on a piece as big as the chest, I imagine it could get rather heavy . I'll have to think that one through . As for everyone getting casts of every piece , How about they all get a cast of just the universal pieces? Any thoughts? Input please!

-Jacob

Your best bet is to avoid molding and casting any of the parts, just go with the original parts, this way you know there is a good chance you will finish this project before the deadline, anything you add extra to the build such as molding will only prolong the build, also remember most cast copies have casting flaws that will have to be fixed up also, so you would have to do work on the casts just to prep them for paint, but Jacob your basically the one in charge of the project so ultimately you will have to make the final decision, I wouldnt stress it much just put a plan in place and go with it and get this project rolling..............Good Luck guys can't wait to see this build come together and see a community build

Yeah...I didn't think about that .

Let's see -

The only 2 parts that wouldn't be universal would be the chest and the cod piece . Problem is - Would the average laymen want to have a heavy chest piece made of Resin , fiberglass , and Bondo to wear around? With all of the bondo work on a piece as big as the chest, I imagine it could get rather heavy . I'll have to think that one through . As for everyone getting casts of every piece , How about they all get a cast of just the universal pieces? Any thoughts? Input please!

-Jacob

No offence, but you're wrong about the universal pieces. The ONLY ones that are universal are the shins and maybe the boots. The other parts are similar, but not reversible or universal if you will. Think about it, in order for a piece to be worn on either side of the body (universally), then the piece would have to be exactly the same on each side (like the shin pieces).
This is MY understanding of a "universal part:"
Now for some examples to help everybody understand.
To show the difference between universal parts and ones that are different on each side, we'll use the pepped shins and gauntlets from my ODST build because they're similar to the H4 parts i'm corresponding them to.

The shin is a universal piece. that is because it can be worn correctly on either side of the body without any modification. See?
120322_009.jpg

120322_008.jpg

If I were to make a mold of this shin, I could make two casts from it, and one could be used on my right leg, the other for my left.

Now the forearms on the other hand are NOT universal. This is because they CAN NOT be worn correctly on either side without modification. See?
120322_006.jpg

120322_007.jpg

If we were to mold this, we could only use it for one side.

I hate to sound like an ass, but I just want to make sure everybody understands this correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back