RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pic

Do you plan on doing all the other armor pieces in Ultra Detail?

Yes, the plan is for a full armor set with game-accurate details. SirPalesAlot and I are both a bit fussy about the models having proper proportions and details. The hand plate is being worked on at the moment, and its base shape had to be redrawn twice for nailing it. The reason each model takes so long to release is due to our scrutiny over each of the details to get them right.

Re: RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pic

Yes, the plan is for a full armor set with game-accurate details. SirPalesAlot and I are both a bit fussy about the models having proper proportions and details. The hand plate is being worked on at the moment, and its base shape had to be redrawn twice for nailing it. The reason each model takes so long to release is due to our scrutiny over each of the details to get them right.

I really appreciate all the work you guys are doing! Keep up the great work. Halo 3 is by far my favorite set of armor so this makes me very enthusiastic about what you guys are doing!

Update - with photos!

The right upper-arm is done and set aside for resin when warmer weather arrives.

UpperArms15.jpg

UpperArms16.jpg

UpperArms17.jpg

UpperArms18.jpg

UpperArms19.jpg

And here it is with a forearm. The shoulder pad isn't attached, I just set it atop the upper-arm for the photo.

UpperArms20.jpg

UpperArms21.jpg

The left upper-arm assembly is already started. Thanks for looking.

Each time i see a model in pepakura i am astounded at the detail you two have put into these models and when you finish it looks so fantastic. Great work, I cant wait to see the handplate and helmet!

Wow Chicken i been watching this post since the old forums. This is turning into one hell of a great build man. I will be sad when the days come that this build it actually finished 100%

Wow Chicken i been watching this post since the old forums. This is turning into one hell of a great build man. I will be sad when the days come that this build it actually finished 100%

Not to worry - a Halo 3 Hunter build is planned for myself. Right now, though, the focus is on my kid's costume since he's growing and I'm not.

Yeah, we kind of nit pick at some of the smallest things, but the models turn out better because of that. The shoulder looks really good. I'm glad the beveled edge was added to the bottom of the shoulder pad. I think it really does make it look much better. I've got another model for the hand plate coming your way later. I'm still dreading the helmet because I know I have to modify the top again lol.

Not to worry - a Halo 3 Hunter build is planned for myself. Right now, though, the focus is on my kid's costume since he's growing and I'm not.

I hear that chicken my daughters are only 2 and 3 right now. But I figured if I got a big surplus of armor Halloween's will be awesome. I really just want a ODST armor for myself and that is all.

...I'm curently finishing up my second Ultra-detailed forearm...

Are you planning to upload pictures? I'd love to see how these are turning out for people other than myself.

Coming very soon.....

HandPlateTeaser.jpg

Looks very good - but, are you absolutely sure about those indents at the back, on the two points covering the wrist? None of the reference material I've just looked at seems to feature it.

Looks very good - but, are you absolutely sure about those indents at the back, on the two points covering the wrist? None of the reference material I've just looked at seems to feature it.

Yep, quite sure. I've got 66 reference photos for the hand plate and every one of them showing the top side has a different light reflection near the back, indicating the perimeter flairs up at the edges. The Halo 3 bump map game asset shows this as well, so yeah, absolutely sure.

HandPlateFlairs.jpg

HandPlateFlairs2.jpg

HandPlateFlairs3.jpg

impressive as always RobotChicken. have you guys picked a color scheme, i dont remember seeing it in the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

SirPalesAlot did a great job again translating game screenshots and my nitpicking at details into another excellent model. All four versions (LD, MD, HD, and UD) should be unfolded with animated screen previews and uploaded within a couple days. Then we've got a daunting task with one of the most noticed and important part of the armor - helmet. There isn't a totally game-accurate Halo 3 helmet file available yet, but that's the next model currently being working on.

My son wants total Halo 3, meaning the armor will be Rustoleum Spruce Green over Hammered Black, with the chest damaged. He wants it to look just as in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yep, quite sure. I've got 66 reference photos for the hand plate and every one of them showing the top side has a different light reflection near the back, indicating the perimeter flairs up at the edges. The Halo 3 bump map game asset shows this as well, so yeah, absolutely sure.

Alright, cool, no need to be so defensive, I'm only offering critique. Still, I disagree - I'm fairly certain those parts are meant to be flat, or at the very least, without such a severe indent.

EDIT: Also, JTM1997 made a very, very good shot at the Halo 3 Mk VI helm in his thread, it may be worth looking at it.

Alright, cool, no need to be so defensive, I'm only offering critique. Still, I disagree - I'm fairly certain those parts are meant to be flat, or at the very least, without such a severe indent.

EDIT: Also, JTM1997 made a very, very good shot at the Halo 3 Mk VI helm in his thread, it may be worth looking at it.

A lot of study (weeks, months) goes into each model we've made so far. You may disagree, but the game asset's bump map and dozens of game capture images indicate those surfaces are not flat, whether they are meant to be or not. Since we're going for game-accurate, the model was made to correlate with the photos. The people who want those areas flat rather than matching how it looks in the game can simply fill them in.

I took a look at the JTM helmet. I think you'll like the one we're working on.

A lot of study (weeks, months) goes into each model we've made so far. You may disagree, but the game asset's bump map and dozens of game capture images indicate those surfaces are not flat, whether they are meant to be or not.

I've got those files myself. Had them for years now, back when xTraction and Assembly were still the big names in Halo 3 asset extraction. Believe me, I've spent my time with those files and references. Still not seeing where you're getting an indent from on those fins. They flex upwards slightly from the main body of the handplate, sure, but I still highly doubt that there's an indent on them.

Still, they're your files, and you've put some good work into them. I'm not going to argue apples or oranges - but, my critique stands. Let's try not to get elitist and haughty over the matter, or try to primp over who spent more time with the references - I'm simply offering some insight given my own experience.

Looks fantastic!!

Hey RobotChicken, I've been busy lately because I've started a nightshift and haven't had time to respond. I would love to post some of my pictures and I'm just figuring out the photobucket site. I find this to be overcomplicated just to post a few pictures... Why dont they make it ''click and drag'' haha. Anyways I figured out how to post a picture but for some reason, I cant ADD any spaces on my posts... the site just squeezes everything together.. anyone have a solution for me ? I would like to post a few more pics! Here is my LEFT H3 MK VI Ultra-Detailed forearm by you :p (Robotchicken), it was built ''perfectly'' in my standards but it doesn't look as good as yours (Hopefully all the printing/numbers have somthing to do with that! 20150115_223917_zpsb09b9040.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back