"Help!" for: Casting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone using the smooth cast line to reinforce the inside of their pepakura helmets instead of fiberglass?

Can you use rondo to cast a helmet?

NO you can not! D: Rondo cracks and can break much more easily than what most people use to cast a helmet. Unless you want to use it as DISPLAY only, don't cast your helmet in rondo. Also, using rondo adds quite a bit of weight to stuff and the thickness you would need to even make a cast would NOT be a very comfortable thing to be wearing on your head. :p

Being a Noob

I have a few questions on construction. First, where can I get the specifications for the costume for Pepakura? Does Pepakura come with them? Do I print the specification "pieces" on plain paper?

I know that you can dye your Urethane resin to make it look "pretty" so to say. My question is, Can it be any kind of dye? Or does it have to be a specific type/kind?

I am new to the casting world, so if anyone could help me, I would much apriciate it.

A) Im looking for a substance witch can be applied to paper, one that wont warp it, but make it harder and more ridged to apply fiberglass to. What type of product am I looking for?

B) Also, say I dont want to use Pepakura, say I carv a helmet from somthing, but want to make a ruber casting. What type of product am I looking for?

I am new to the casting world, so if anyone could help me, I would much apriciate it.

A) Im looking for a substance witch can be applied to paper, one that wont warp it, but make it harder and more ridged to apply fiberglass to. What type of product am I looking for?

B) Also, say I dont want to use Pepakura, say I carv a helmet from somthing, but want to make a ruber casting. What type of product am I looking for?

A)
Almost any product you apply to paper can warp it. It all depends on how thick/heavy a layer you put on. Most people will use automotive resin to harden their paper and then reinforce with fiberglass or rondo. You should apply this, and anything for that matter, in thin layers at first and in small sections until it dries to prevent warping. I and Im sure alot of others also construct support braces to go even a step further to prevent warping. I use the craft sticks that look like popcicle sticks to brace my piece before coating with resin.
There is also a product called Mod Podge that can harden paper, again by layering it up. Mod Podge is non-toxic so you can do it indoors as opposed to the fiberglass resin.
Another way would be using liquid plastic like the type Smooth-On sells.

B)
There are various types of rubber and materials used for casting. It depends on what kind of properties you want your end product to have. Some rubbers will be flexible (ie: silicone, latex) and they vary all the way up to a rigid type of rubber that will give little to no flex. If you go to smooth-on's website they have an explanation of the types of products and what type of properties each will have.

I would suggest you do alot more research into molding/casting before purchasing anything though as this can get expensive fast and it sounds like you have little to no experience with it.

so ive been running around smooth-on's website, and im noticing they sell the pigment powders for their resins. now my question is this, can you make a cast with the silver metallic powder, and then paint over that, then take a whacking(metaphorically of course) to the painted resin cast to get more of a damaged metal armor look it? just a thought.

Ok i know nothing about molding. anyone feel like breaking it down for me? Im pretty good with bondo and resin but after seeing some moldings on youtube I think id kinda like to be able to make more then one piece at a time. HELP

hey everyone im hoping to make this suit for halloween. im planning on molding the chest and arm pieces and i don't now what material to cast it with. From what i can tell the pieces are soft armor and flexible. my first thoughts was a urethane rubber or maybe foam. any help would be much appreciated. good luck with all ur builds.

IMG_6216.jpg

IMG_6218.jpg

IMG_6219.jpg

IMG_6227.jpg

IMG_6207.jpg

hey i am planning on making a helmet very soon and i was wanting a general list of the materials needed i already have a computer printer and mounts of cardstock (and please dont put things like patience or free time)
budget: nothing too too expensive but with make a good set of armor

Tutorials that involve this thread's subject matter and are approved by the site staff will be linked in this post. Please review them as they may already contain the answers you seek.

liuying1.jpg

liuying2.jpg

liuying3.jpg

Need spartan for shoot in southern ca!!

Looking to shoot a video for top 10 YouTube director this weekend this weekend, December 2-4, 2011, located in Indio, CA. We have a Master Chief, we just need people or to rent costumes for a few Spartans. If you can make the shoot, we are willing to pay a day rate. If you have info on where to rent or obtain costumes and guns, please let me know.

Any inquiries, feel free to send an email to mraub@thecollective-la.com. We need to shoot THIS WEEKEND, so if you have the means, we want your help!

Seems like this might be the first post for some actual help in this thread for a while... Here is my question. I started to make a mold for a piece of a gun I'm working on and after building the containment field, pressing the piece down into some clay and pouring on the oomoo, I ran out before the gun was completely covered. My question is, can I pour more urethane rubber on top of it and just continue on like before even though the stuff that is on it now is already hard? Or will I have to make a new mold? Also, if I can just put more rubber on top, can I use a different kind? Like silicon RTV tubes from Lowes or something? Thanks in advance.

Seems like this might be the first post for some actual help in this thread for a while... Here is my question. I started to make a mold for a piece of a gun I'm working on and after building the containment field, pressing the piece down into some clay and pouring on the oomoo, I ran out before the gun was completely covered. My question is, can I pour more urethane rubber on top of it and just continue on like before even though the stuff that is on it now is already hard? Or will I have to make a new mold? Also, if I can just put more rubber on top, can I use a different kind? Like silicon RTV tubes from Lowes or something? Thanks in advance.

I have never used any mold making materials nor have I ever casted anything. However, I plan to. I always do TONS of research before I do anything so let me see if I can remember...

I believe you can pour more urethane rubber on within a 24 hour time period (I THINK) It may be less, or longer. Urethane and Silicon do NOT mix. Therefore, it will not bond at all. If you pour Urethane inside a Silicon mold, you dont have to use a release agent (although it is recommended)

Because it is so expensive, I'd go ahead and try adding more urethane. Urethane bonds to Urethane. Silicon bonds to Silicon.
Hope this helps and I hope I'm not too late in helping!

I have my own question. Will Urethane PLASTIC bond to Urethane RUBBER? Or would it be fine with a release agent (Vaseline / cooking oil spray)

Edit: Didnt realize this post was months ago

I'm not sure where to ask this, but casting seems like the most apt description of what I'd like to do.

I made a pep Daedric dagger (from Skyrim) and I would like to fill it with something to make it more solid. I am thinking about filling it with expanding foam (carefully), but it seems like it wouldn't feel heavy enough, and the expanding sounds dangerous.
So, any other recommendations? Also, would this belong better in another help forum? I am new to this, as well as 405th.

Thanks for any help you can give!

ok where do i start i am looking for a template or some thing to help me start making a odst helmet like the one in my avitaur and the types of metrials to use to make it

thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back