Halo Reach EOD helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodshiplolypop

i have been a huge halo fan for about the past 4 years, when i found out about the ability to make halo armor i lost several nights worth of sleep, went mad trying to find the pepakura program, and then finally lost it looking for the EOD file. after finding this website i was finally able to get started.

Pepakura stage:
the pepakura stage was by far the most difficult. i dont know if this was simply a reflection of my lack of pep skills or if this was just a hard helmet. im talking about the face to be more specific. there is a great deal of detail in this little area and it is made up of around 25 pieces. the problem is if you dont bend a certain piece just right it screws up all the other pieces around it. i know that applies to all pepakura projects but the mistakes here kind of amplify into a horrible unfix-able problem. i had to do this part about three times before i got it to look acceptable. it is just a hard build to be honest but it was still a great deal of fun due to the fact that i love a challenge. and at the end my hands were completely coated in super glue. i looked like i had just eaten about 1 million doughnuts.
Picture007.jpg
[/IMG]
Picture006.jpg
[/IMG]

Fiber Glass stage:
this is probably were i made my biggest mistake, i completely skipped the prep stage. a few tongue depressors and some tape would have done marvels but i completely forgot. aside from that blunder i did do a few note worthy things. i got a hold on some special resin that has fiber glass particles in it already so it can be used as a filler. this proved extremely helpful in my problem areas because it gave me about a centimeter of depth to work with. now when i start sanding i don't have to worry about sanding all the way through.
Picture008.jpg
[/IMG]
as you can see in this picture the nose came out horribly. its going to take a lot of work to repair it. the good news is that the rest of the helmet came out great. and no, my eyes dont always look like that.

Bondo stage:
all of those slight mistakes mentioned earlier are really beginning to take their toll. this stage has proved to be both hard and tedious, but it is coming out really good none the less (in personal opinion) im really taking my time on this stage and im adding a lot of extra details to make this thing one of kind.
Picture019.jpg
[/IMG]
Picture020.jpg
[/IMG]

if anyone has any tips on how to sand oddly shaped areas or adding detail please let me know. the nose of this helmet is going to take a lot of time and effort and if any of you could reduce that i would be extremely grateful. i will keep you all posted as to how this turns out. i plan on putting in another 24 hours this weekend.

Dremel is the #1 tool. There are a few good ones that are pretty wallet friendly so I highly suggest getting one if you don't already. They can help a lot at getting tough to reach places or to really grind down if needed. But still hand sanding is going to be your best friend.

Your progress so far is great, just keep on building up and sanding over and over and over and, well you get the point. And make sure to check your symmetry cause I notice a few things that are off from side to side.

i managed to get my friend to let me borrow his dremel and i think he forgot about it so im going to be able to hold on to it for a little while :D. and yes, one of those hexagon looking pieces came out way to low. thanks for the advice, i appreciate it.

Looks great. I'll add to the dremel by saying get some small files also. They help with detailing.:cool

ok, so i spent a couple more hours on it this week and got a massive sun burn, but the good news is its looking better! trying to get this thing symmetrical has proven a lot easier than i anticipated. there is only 3 or 4 spots that need serious attention but aside from that im almost done. now the only thing im worried about is getting to excited and screwing it all up.
Picture021.jpg
[/IMG]
Picture022.jpg
[/IMG]
Picture023.jpg
[/IMG]
Picture024.jpg
[/IMG]

so i have really slowed down and spent a great deal of time on my problem areas. i threw a coat of black paint on it to help me get it smooth. nothing makes inconsistencies stand out like black. the top, back and sides are completely done. i keep going on and on about the nose but if you guys got one good look at it you would know why. I'm afraid that I'm going to lose a lot of valuable detail that really makes this helmet unique. there are several rather small gaps that are so small and located in just a way that working on them with any kind of precision tool is impossible. any tips? as for the rest of it, it looks pretty fricken beautiful if i do say so myself, my first born child is going to have some competition. so here are the pics.
side
Picture156.jpg
[/IMG]
back
Picture155.jpg
[/IMG]
Picture154.jpg
[/IMG]
front
Picture153.jpg
[/IMG]
me
Picture157.jpg
[/IMG]
the horrifically terrifying deadly nose
Picture159.jpg
[/IMG]
so if there are any tips that any of you can give me for sanding these tight spaces let me know because im about to do this the hard way tomorrow; a piece of sand paper and a lot of time.

That nose area is the hardest part to sand out, I used a cut up gift card and wrapped sandpaper around it to get in those areas on my EOD, also files will work, really you just have to find something that will work to sand in those areas

i have been using razor blades but the only hard part is trying to get a consistent surface finish along an extended area. as for the gift card idea that sounds pretty awesome. now i need to find a gift card...

If uve gotten it sanded so its a decent finish and by decent i mean 240grit preferably, then i would recommend using some wet n dry. It works wonders. And combine it with the wonderful gift card idea that hyperballistic recommended

Helmet looks awesome. I have been all over looking for the pattern(not sure what else to call it). All the links I have found are no longer there or it says they are broken. So, I guessed I should starting on something easier, I think. Started cutting out the Magnum, hope to get it assembled by the end of the weekend. How much time would you estimate it has taken you so far on the helmet?

Helmet looks awesome. I have been all over looking for the pattern(not sure what else to call it). All the links I have found are no longer there or it says they are broken. So, I guessed I should starting on something easier, I think. Started cutting out the Magnum, hope to get it assembled by the end of the weekend. How much time would you estimate it has taken you so far on the helmet?
well first things first, this is my first build ever. so i would say that i have made a lot of rookie mistakes on it wasting a ton of my time. the pepakura was a solid 8 hours. you really have to take your time on the pepakura stage cause it will come back and bite you if you dont. the fiber glass stage took about 30 minutes to an hour. it was real easy, kindergarten stuff. and as far as bondo goes i would say that i am about 24 hours and two fricken quarts of bondo into this thing. im at two quarts of bondo because of all those mistakes i made in the pepakura stage. and i have the pepakura file on hand, i can try and email it to you if you want it.

wow that looks really good!!! the eod helmet always looks cool in pep
keep up the good work

thank you, i appreciate it. im always half worried when i post these pics that you guys are all laughing at me because im doing something horribly wrong. paranoia averted.

so after a good bit of thought i decided that i will not go beyond making my master helmet. i really have no reason to make a mold for this. this means that now i am putting a rather good bit of detail and extra materials into this. on the standard EOD helmet you will notice that there are a few permanent black spots. to make these spots look better and less boring im going to add some carbon fiber that i managed to get my hands on to it. so far i have only put it on the top but it looks really good. and then i got some wire mesh and added it to make the vents actual functioning vents. ( you know i just noticed that these might not be vents... oh well). as for the rest of the helmet it is turning out really well thanks to all of your tips and some extra hardware i bought. and here are the pictures:
WP_000050.jpg

WP_000048.jpg

WP_000051.jpg

WP_000057.jpg

mycamera046.jpg

mycamera048.jpg

mycamera043.jpg

mycamera042.jpg

That carbon fibre looks absolutely wicked. About those sharp edges, i think the best way to tackle them is before the bondo fully cures, it's fairly solid but soft which allows you to easily cut and chisel out the globby bits before it hardens, no sanding needed.

But it's a little late for that. Another option is to use a small chisel, if you have the hands of a surgeon you can shape anything with a chisel. Other than that go with Hyperballistic's reccomendation with the sandpaper over card, i tried it today, works wonders ;) best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back