RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pic

Cameo unfolds for the hand plates are now updated in the File Archive so they are easier to assemble and less prone to twisting.

Re: RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pic

I just had to share this with you because I think it's starting to look amazing. Chin details are still being finished up and the rebreather ribs are getting added, but for the most part the helmet's front is just about done. The sides are also almost finished, the top is completed, and pretty much all that's left is the back detailing and then unfolding can get started. Hopefully the model will get finished up over the next few weeks, but we're not rushing it. Getting the details right is more important than getting the model out quick.

HelmetTeaser4.jpg

That's pretty awesome, even as it stands, good sir. :D

Time for a small update. After several failed attempts I finally got the new hand plates pepped. Their small size and underside backplate made them a bit of a challenge to get together towards the end due to inaccessible flaps, but I finally worked out an unfold and build sequence for getting them together. Initially I kept believing the upper top details needed to be pepped first and work my way around to the backside. The problem is you can't really get at the backside flaps after the top is assembled. So I went about it "backwards" and assembled the backside frame first (sorry about the dark photos, but I usually work on this in the evenings):

HandPlate1.jpg

Then the sides were assembled as separate pieces and attached:

HandPlate2.jpg

While all that was going on I assembled the center area separately so it was ready for attaching after the sides were on:

HandPlate3.jpg

Next the front lobes were added:

HandPlate4.jpg

...leaving only the front remaining for closing up:

HandPlate5.jpg

HandPlate6.jpg

HandPlate7.jpg

Here's everything I've got pepped so far, and now that the weather is warming up I'll be starting the resin work (after all the rain is done) while the helmet model gets finished up:

HandPlate8.jpg

A sizing check confirms I'm still good with the scale, so hopefully this is all going to fit when it's finished:

HandPlate9.jpg

The helmet model is coming along well, but slowly right now as the details currently being worked on are difficult and frustrating. Hopefully we'll get that wrapped soon and I can get to building something new.

Impressive as always!
That is a super intuitive way of assembling the hand plates!

Thank you.

Had an unusual appearance by Lady Luck yesterday. I found this BMX helmet at a garage sale for only $5!

Helmet1.jpg

But it's not the helmet I'm interested in. Inside it is a full set of practically new helmet padding attached with velcro:

Helmet2.jpg

Take 'em out, wash 'em, and they should work extremely well for lining the Mk VI helmet.

I've also decided to not use polyester resin for this new set of Pepakura parts. It doesn't really have anything to do with the toxicity or smell (although it does take a long time for the odor to dissipate from the parts - it's that the last thing I need happening to these parts is for them to get smaller, and polyester resin does shrink slightly as it cures. So I've placed an order for Smooth-On EpoxAmite 103 laminating epoxy resin. It (supposedly) doesn't shrink while curing, doesn't smell as bad (but still wear a vapor respirator when applying!), and is stronger than polyester resin. I got the 103 type because it has a pot life of 55 minutes and I don't want to feel like time is against me while applying the resin - I want to easily have the time to work with it to keep it from pooling up in small areas. I don't mind the longer cure time. When that arrives I'll start hardening the pieces I've built so far. Now if only that darned helmet model would cooperate with some of the details we're trying to add in!

I guessing you saw my post in a recent thread about the smooth-on products? Also, I was curious to know what scaling you used for the forearms, and the biceps. Did you take into consideration the circumference of your bicep, also with the under armor on? Or did you scale the bicep armor by height as, found in halogoddess's tutorial. Or is it a combination of both?

I guessing you saw my post in a recent thread about the smooth-on products? Also, I was curious to know what scaling you used for the forearms, and the biceps. Did you take into consideration the circumference of your bicep, also with the under armor on? Or did you scale the bicep armor by height as, found in halogoddess's tutorial. Or is it a combination of both?

I did see your post, but mine was ahead of yours in that thread. :) I was reminded of the shrinkage issue with polyester resin while watching CerealKill3r's video on resin, and also reminded about epoxy resin in that same video. So I spent an evening researching epoxy resin (some reading, mostly YouTube videos) and my friend SirPalesAlot likes Smooth-On products (smooth cast, however, not resin) which had me finally at their web site reading about the products. I chose them because a lot of people seem to like their products and similar competitive products (i.e. long pot life, not type of resin) are significantly more expensive.

I've got the sizing information for my parts in the first post of this thread. I sized the bicep first by using the same scale as the forearm because SirPalesAlot and I are releasing the models all in the same scale, proportionate to Master Chief (but not the same size as Master Chief, since the forearm had already been released when that decision had been made and we didn't want to redo the unfolding). That ended up with a bicep that was too large for my kid so I needed to reduce the scale a little. I sized it strictly by height, but not of the overall model - using point-to-point measurement from the top of the bicep to the bottom of the bicep against my son's arm (sized up of course for growth guesstimate like the other parts), and then cross-checking that with the model's width/depth relative to the forearm's width/depth so they look proportionally correct when placed together.

There will be no "under armor" for this costume, being kid sized. The pieces will be held in place by a combination of polyurethane foam and strapping. Joints will be similar to the look in-game with a combination of stitched vinyl and breathable black fabric. I'm not striving to make "armor" - it's just a costume. :)

Looking great as usual. have you got any more pics of the helmet or any of the chest. I have had pretty good results with dashing baby powder into the helmet to help with the smell. i got this from Carpathia i believe. it has been a while and i dont remember where to find the post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Looking great as usual. have you got any more pics of the helmet or any of the chest. I have had pretty good results with dashing baby powder into the helmet to help with the smell. i got this from Carpathia i believe. it has been a while and i dont remember where to find the post.

The revisions made to the helmet model since the last preview image probably wouldn't be very noticeable to most people so I'm not really planning to put one up just yet. The rebreather area is undergoing extensive modification to get the shape right and model in the ribs. The back of the helmet is being completely redone to put in all the missing details. Trust me when I say, though, that this model captures very well the look of Master Chief from Halo 3. No collaborative work has been started yet on the torso. In its current state (which I haven't even seen yet except for a few screen shots in SirPalesAlot's thread) all the work has been done by SirPalesAlot.

Gotcha on the scaling part. It's funny though, that's where I got the idea of using the smooth-on product also. Even though he didn't quite mention what type of resin he used, he had the jug in view just enough to read the label. But, I think I might of asked cereal killer what he had used. Miss that dude! I know he had posted a video on youtube a while back about making his return back with the community, but i guess he still needs more time to get his head together. Which is totally cool. Anyways, thanks for sharing. Appreciate what you , and Sirpalesalot have done so far. Keep it up bro!

those are some crisp folds. How do you get them so neat?

Update: Resin!

With nothing more to pep until the helmet model is finished and the weather finally quite nice, I opened up my Smooth-On boxes and put the first coat of resin on the parts. I'm using EpoxAmite 103 because the biggest problem I had using polyester resin was it setting up too quickly and having too much unused resin. The 103 product has a 55 minute pot life so I didn't need to rush the application process racing against time. I was also able to leisurely go back to the drying parts and blot up any resin pooling (of which there was very little). Although this resin has no odor (another great benefit) I did follow their recommendation of using a chemical vapor respirator - just because you can't smell it doesn't mean it isn't harmful to your lungs. I bought their pump add-on package to make dispensing portion amounts much simpler (no measuring needed, and no messy spills).

Resin4.jpg

One squirt, the smallest batch you can mix without manual measuring, was enough to do the top side of both hand plates, top side of both shoulder pads, all the antecubital detail parts, 1/3 of each forearm, and 1/3 of each upper-arm with a small amount of resin left over. (I did only 1/3 of the larger parts deliberately so there was plenty of dry cardstock to hold the shape and lay the parts down for drying without resin touching anything.) The first coat was applied very thin just to harden the paper but not at all intended for final hardening. After this thin coat is applied all around I'll then slush a heavier coat with a thickener filler on the inside to start building up the strength. (I'll probably still glass the insides of these with the same resin.) This stuff has a very nice viscosity and I had virtually no pooling at all (mostly due to how thin I was spreading the resin). The little bit that did pool was easily wicked up with the resin brush having no resin on it. It dries clear and looks just like cardstock after drying, so I'm going to be getting some of their resin dye to make it easier to keep track of where resin has been applied. Now for some pics...

Here are the hand plates (the resin is still a little wet in the photos). As you can see, all the corners are clean:

HandPlate10.jpg

HandPlate11.jpg

HandPlate12.jpg

Here are the shoulder pads:

UpperArms22.jpg

UpperArms23.jpg

I didn't snap photos of the arm pieces, but they turned out just as well with no loss of detail from the resin. Ultra-High Detail parts can't be resined? Bah! Yes they can, if you do it properly. (And no detail will be lost under Bondo, either.) More pics will be posted later when I get more resin on the parts.

Awesome!! When I do place my order, I think I'm gonna go with the 55 min pot life also. I have to say this myself to, looks very clean with the resin on. Definitely gonna save on paint brushes to. Thanks for sharing!!

Do you mind putting a link for that resin? Because i'm with you on the setting time of polyester resin, also really stinky

Awesome!! When I do place my order, I think I'm gonna go with the 55 min pot life also. I have to say this myself to, looks very clean with the resin on. Definitely gonna save on paint brushes to. Thanks for sharing!!

The only downside to the 103 is the cure time. Longer pot life means longer cure time. So about 24 hours to cure, but I've usually got some much stuff going on that it's not too big of a deal to have the parts sitting for a day while the resin hardens.

Do you mind putting a link for that resin? Because i'm with you on the setting time of polyester resin, also really stinky

Sure, here is the resin: http://www.smooth-on.com/Laminating-Epoxies/c1335_1336/index.html?catdepth=1

Here is the pumps kit: http://www.smooth-on.com/Tools-Supplies-and/c1_1345/index.html?catdepth=1
One thing to note about the pumps that wasn't mentioned in their instructions: The gallon sized (Part A) pump installed without issue, but the hardener (Part B) container was filled too much and unexpectedly spilled over the top when inserting the pump. I guess they don't account for pump mass displacement when filling the Part B containers. So, empty some of Part B into another container before inserting the pump (if you use the pumps instead of measuring manually).

Here is the filler that I got for making epoxy "rondo" for the interior slush coat (I got the URE-FIL 11, but haven't used it yet so I can't tell you anything about it yet): http://www.smooth-on.com/Urethane-Plastic-a/c5_1119_1214/index.html?catdepth=1

The color tint that I've ordered is: http://www.smooth-on.com/Urethane-Plastic-a/c5_1119_1213/index.html?catdepth=1

Those look so clean! Nice work RobotChicken.

When can we expect to see updates on the helmet? (Since I'm moving soon, I'll finally have a garage work space again)

Those look so clean! Nice work RobotChicken.

When can we expect to see updates on the helmet? (Since I'm moving soon, I'll finally have a garage work space again)

Thanks. The helmet is sort've close to being done. Remaining items are the rebreather ribs (which I'm currently working on), two side details (I'm working on one, SirPalesAlot is working on the other), lower back details (I've almost got those finished), and rear detailing above the two back indents (not started yet). A month or so ago we thought we'd have it done in a couple more weeks, but things come up and we also underestimated the time needed to get some of the details correct. Pretty much, it's done when it's done. We've also decided I'm going to get one almost fully pepped before the files are uploaded in case there are any issues with the initial unfold.

HelmetTeaser5.jpg

IMG_0031.JPG

I did this a few weeks ago. Had to do it in two parts for easy printing. Might have to go a little bigger than this since it seems tool small.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back