RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pic

I did this a few weeks ago. Had to do it in two parts for easy printing. Might have to go a little bigger than this since it seems tool small.

That's pretty cool, but yes - too small. Are you going to start up your own build thread for showing the progress on your parts?

Re: RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pic

That's pretty cool, but yes - too small. Are you going to start up your own build thread for showing the progress on your parts?

I need to find something that will hide the print layers better, instead of blowing a lot of paint on it which did not stick at all. Also having trouble getting the torso in a good solid state. Last I tried it had a whole lot of dips in it showing the render after I edged/smoothed it out for 3d print. Planing on started the forearm soon. Think you can cut the Torso half and send my way. If you don't want that's fine.

I'm not sure if I should start a whole new thread with the parts I've worked out or just use my old thread that I started about 3 years ago.

Edit!!: ******* auto corrected me, but never mind.

I did another batch of resin this morning and was able to coat the backsides of hand plates, shoulder pads, and antecubital parts, plus another third of the forearms and upper-arms. The close-up photos I took to show details turned out too blurry so I'll shoot some new ones later when the parts can be handled more conveniently. These are the pics that turned out okay:

Here you can see just how translucent resin makes the paper. The mottling you see in the shadow between the two forearms is caused by light passing through the resined paper. Total saturation.
NewForearms35.jpg

Upper-Arms:

UpperArms24.jpg

UpperArms25.jpg

When I add a second coat of resin to the outside it will be tinted green (to see the resin better), so that will be a little exiting to me seeing these greenish rather than white. Thanks for looking.

Finally got a decent rebreather on the helmet.

HelmetTeaser6.jpg

Here's the Mk VI Torso smoothed out and shelled. Going to be cut it up in 5"x5" pieces so my printer can handle it.

Capture.PNG

Here is the hand plate after one coat of resin. Hard as epoxy (go figure) and no loss of detail:

HandPlate13.jpg

HandPlate14.jpg

...and here are two close-ups of forearm detail areas after resin:

NewForearms36.jpg

NewForearms37.jpg

...and the antecubital detail parts:

NewForearms38.jpg

One more batch of resin this morning will finish off the last third on the forearms and upper-arms, then I'll start a green-tinted second coat.

Here's the Mk VI Torso smoothed out and shelled. Going to be cut it up in 5"x5" pieces so my printer can handle it.

View attachment 13392

Hello, BlertZ - could you please be so kind as to start your own thread? This thread was started by RobotChicken for his own build, as opposed to a group thread. Much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

This looks way too clean. I think I need to get my garage in order for some building.. Nice job!! :)

Thanks!

So I started applying a second coat of resin to the outside this evening....and wish I hadn't. When you apply the first coat of resin, it gets absorbed into the paper and provided you don't go overboard with it there is no pooling or collecting up in detail areas. The paper hardens enough for then doing the "real" hardening from the inside. However, I've read a few recommendations here to put two coats of resin on the outside, but when adding a second coat there's no place for the resin to soak into and it just sits on the surface of the hardened paper. That may be fine for a low-detail build, but I had the joy of spending an hour and a half "massaging" gelled resin out of all the nooks and crannies of my parts instead of how I had intended to spend the evening (working on a helmet model detail). So despite what you might hear elsewhere, I'm going to say right here if you're hardening your parts with resin and got a fair amount of detail on your parts, don't put a second coat of resin on the outside - do all subsequent hardening on the inside after the initial application. I will likely finish adding the second coat on the outside of the parts I've already started just so they all have the same consistency all over, but starting with the helmet I'm not putting more than one application of resin on the outside.

As for Smooth-On resin dye - the green tint came out of the bottle green alright, but it must have chemically-reacted with the resin because its color changed to an aqua-blue on the parts. Of course the kid says "that's the wrong color", but I reminded him there's a lot of sanding coming up soon and the color will be painted, not dyed resin. New pictures will be posted probably on the weekend.

Where have you read to put 2 coats of resin on the outside?
If that is done, it allows you some material to sand on but as you mentioned, it is pooling in your corner details. With such a long cure time with that resin, its also going to remain liquid much longer and making that pooling occur for longer.
As long as the paper is COMPLETELY and I really mean completely saturated you shouldn't run into some future issues like my armor has had. (Very minor but still occurred)

I noticed BlertZ has an image of an updated chest. Did I miss an update??

Thanks!

So I started applying a second coat of resin to the outside this evening....and wish I hadn't. When you apply the first coat of resin, it gets absorbed into the paper and provided you don't go overboard with it there is no pooling or collecting up in detail areas. The paper hardens enough for then doing the "real" hardening from the inside. However, I've read a few recommendations here to put two coats of resin on the outside, but when adding a second coat there's no place for the resin to soak into and it just sits on the surface of the hardened paper. That may be fine for a low-detail build, but I had the joy of spending an hour and a half "massaging" gelled resin out of all the nooks and crannies of my parts instead of how I had intended to spend the evening (working on a helmet model detail). So despite what you might hear elsewhere, I'm going to say right here if you're hardening your parts with resin and got a fair amount of detail on your parts, don't put a second coat of resin on the outside - do all subsequent hardening on the inside after the initial application. I will likely finish adding the second coat on the outside of the parts I've already started just so they all have the same consistency all over, but starting with the helmet I'm not putting more than one application of resin on the outside.

As for Smooth-On resin dye - the green tint came out of the bottle green alright, but it must have chemically-reacted with the resin because its color changed to an aqua-blue on the parts. Of course the kid says "that's the wrong color", but I reminded him there's a lot of sanding coming up soon and the color will be painted, not dyed resin. New pictures will be posted probably on the weekend.

Duely noted, thanks for the heads up. Sucks that you had alot more extra work with adding the extra coat to the other pieces on the outside, at least it was on the "smaller" pieces that i hope were at least a little easy to manage getting the pooled resin out of nooks and crannies then say your helmet or chestplate XD and i must say hot damn thats some beautiful resined pieces so far. and the helmet model so far.... beau-ti-ful. and a question to ask on the high detail version or even for the ultra detail version is there a chance to have the rebreather parts seperate from the model for ease of construction or if someone (like me) wanted to use a different method to construct them?

It was actually harder (no pun) to clean pooling resin on the smaller parts because the parts are so, well, small. I've decided to not continue with the second coat on the remainder of these parts. I'll be able to clean these up later, but it's a little extra sanding that I wouldn't have had to do. I don't remember where I read about adding at least two coats, but from my personal experience I can say that's bad advice and only do one coat on the outside.

There is no torso model released yet from SirPalesAlot and RobotChicken, and I don't know why my build thread was being used to show updates for work that I am not even doing. The torso SirPalesAlot and I release will have a much smoother front on it.

Yes, the visor, light domes, and rebreathers are separate parts on the model for assembling and finishing separately. In fact, at least for the UD version, vacuum forming buck models will be provided, as I will be vacuum forming those parts for my build (and secretly building a vacuum former as a side project right now). We've also turned some existing game detail on the underside of the helmet into optional push-button switch covers (for lights and fans).

I always remember learning the method of:
(Outside)
Bondo - sanded to bring back details and
Resin
Paper
Resin + Fiberglass
Rotocast Rondo mix
(Inside)

The number of layers weren't much of an issue.

Like I said, I don't remember where I was reading two coats of resin on the outside, but I should not have done that. Considering it's a kid's costume, I'm not going to re-pep all the parts because of this. I think they'll look okay after sanding - I now just have more sanding to do than if I had stuck with only one coat on the outside. When the EpoxAmite 100 arrives I'll proceed with the slush coat on the insides. (Smooth-On ships quickly, but Fed-Ex delivers very slowly.)

Okay all you Halo enthusiasts - I know nothing about gun operation (except the obvious, trigger) and I'm hoping somebody who knows guns and Halo could maybe describe for me the functions of areas I've highlighted in the below images or whether they're just decorative....

MA5C_L.jpg

A. Lighted push-button switch...
B. Another button and a lever...?
C. A sliding lever...
D. Push-button switch...

MA5C_R.jpg

E. Decorative or functional?
F. Button and lever...?
G. Another lighted push-button switch...

MA5C_B.jpg

H. Looks like one of those locks found on glass display cases...
I. Decorative or button...

Also, does anybody know what all the different barrel attachments are for in the PDO file? There are 3 barrels, but the rifle should only have one: http://www.405th.com/file-archive.php?do=download&downloadid=228

(I guess you can tell what I'm pepping next while the helmet model is in development.)

A seems to be the on/off switch. I've seen several professional-grade builds use this button to activate the weapon's electronics.
B would be the safety catch.
C is the cocking/charging handle.
D is the magazine release catch.
E may well be the ejection port for spent casings. I don't see any other parts of the weapon that might cover this function.
F is the same as B, I think.
G - same as A.
H is the Marathon logo found throughout the Halo series. A better back view of the weapon would show that off.
I is likely a locking pin fixing the stock of the weapon down. I've experience with field-stripping weapons and I could probably highlight all of the likely locations of such pins, if you wanted to make your build truly accurate.

It might also help if you linked the weapon file you're using, so I can review it for you and help you make a more educated decision.

I believe A and G are used as the power switch for the flashlight, you could probably rig up one side to turn on the electronics and other side for flashlight power, as for the different barrels I think it's just use one that fits your style I'm gonna go with they might be for different sub versions of the ma5

I believe A and G are used as the power switch for the flashlight, you could probably rig up one side to turn on the electronics and other side for flashlight power, as for the different barrels I think it's just use one that fits your style I'm gonna go with they might be for different sub versions of the ma5

Doh! I forgot about needing a flashlight switch. Yes, I think I'll use the right side green button for an on/off power switch, the leftt side one for flashlight on/off, and the silver octagon magazine release button for the ammo counter reset (but my kid still wants a removable magazine). I've also come up with a way to glass the inside of this thing, and I've decided many of the errors in the database file are too gross to overlook and I will be creating a private version of this model with corrected detailing. Some of the errors cannot be corrected without overhauling the model and I just don't have the time for that so they'll have to remain as is. Other details, such as the Marathon logo placements, will be added in Silhouette Studio instead of to the 3D model.

Thanks for the replies.

Updates are to become less frequent on this build for awhile. Instead of trying to align with a moving target at an unknown speed (boy's growth rate versus unpredictable amount of time completing the remaining models), I have decided to postpone all construction until all the models are ready for building. The resin is pricey and I'd rather not be using it on parts that might not be the correct size anymore once everything is built.

Hardening the insides with epoxy resin turns out to add a fair amount of weight to the pieces, so I'll be using URE-FIL 15 micro-balloons to reduce the weight/mass ratio in addition to the URE-FIL 11 for lowered viscosity.

The helmet model is nearing completion (yeah, you've heard that a few times now) with only the upper back area remaining. I'm also currently working on a game-accurate model of the MA5C assault rifle which will feature an assembly technique allowing for interior hardening. I may or may not upload this model to the database, depending on how awesome or embarrassing it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back