Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KDE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaso117

Hey guys.
So I know that there is alot of computer-inclined people on this forum. Knowing that, it would suprise me if there wasn't a crowd here who hasn't tried out linux yet.

For all of you that don't know, linux is a free operating system developed by ordinary people. It is open source, which means that you are free to change anything about the system that you want, free of licensing.

Though I know alot of people prefer Debian and SuSE and other distros. I prefer Ubuntu. I like Ubuntu because of a couple reasons. 1) The GNOME GUI 2) The ease of use

Anyhow, onto the point of this topic.

about a month ago, Ubuntu released a new version of their desktop operating system. Ubuntu 8.04 codename "Hardy Heron"

here's a download link for all those interested.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

As always, a sleek new GNOME interface graces the desktop. This time featuring an artistic Heron. I liked that slight addition.

menu.jpg

Probably my favorite improvement though, is the new GNOME filesystem utilized. This new filesystem is very sleek, provides easy navigation, and lots of nice options for browsing and altering.

Ubuntu also comes with a number of handy applications.

a bittorrent client
Open Office
A webcam program
add/remove programs
packet manager
System Monitor
Network Manager
The GIMP
Games
Firefox
An email client

and many many other programs that you can install with a simple "sudo apt-get install" command.

What also impressed me was the new uPnP features on Ubuntu.
Instantly, I was able to plug in my flash drive, PSP, and MP3 player, having all of them recognized and ready to use in less time than on my windows PC. Amazing!

Another cool feature is Wubi. Wubi allows windows users to install their new operating system in a nice user-friendly GUI right in windows. This less-intimidating system is much more user friendly.

7129-wubi.jpg

Finally. I was suprised how quickly I was able to get the newest version of ndiswrapper to set up my WiFi internet. I was able to connect to my TKIP encrypted wireless internet in under an hour. This was really impressive!

post-1-1178099383.png

That's just my two-cent review though. I'd love to hear from other linux users, or just people who are interested in this OS. What distros do you like? What's your opinion? I think it's got a great future ahead, and alot of potential costumers. I love it! I will never buy a copy of Vista after 8.04. :)

I've been wanting to try this, but dont feel like dealing with all the setup, last time I tried ubuntu, I wasnt too happy about it, but this time, they redid it all and made it look alot friendlier.

I am an Ubuntu 8.04 user as well. I love it, sleek, stylish, never crashes, no viruses exist for linux and spyware isn't programmed to run on linux. Epic win in the security section which is important to me. No problems as of yet except support in the video editing section which is a huge thing for me (indie filmmaker), so I dual boot simply for video editing and windows gaming.

Cheers,
Kensai

colmon_9 said:
Ive heard of it, but im perfectly content with xp.

Yes, XP is still a solid operating system. But, as Microsoft drops support for XP, users will be looking for a Vista alternative.

kensai111 said:
I am an Ubuntu 8.04 user as well. I love it, sleek, stylish, never crashes, no viruses exist for linux and spyware isn't programmed to run on linux. Epic win in the security section which is important to me. No problems as of yet except support in the video editing section which is a huge thing for me (indie filmmaker), so I dual boot simply for video editing and windows gaming.

Cheers,
Kensai

They did beef up the security from the previous version, which to me was great, but i'll hardly ever need it.

I'm a big graphical designer. The GIMP is a great alternative to photoshop, but it really isn't there yet. Otherwise, I love the open source programs as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny "Please insert Ubuntu Installation CD to continue"

It's already in there, so I eject, and put it back in. "Cannot detect Installation CD"

:cautious:

Gotta use Wubi and now it's re downloading what it needs to install.

I love Ubuntu Linux as well. I'm not a full-fledged user (yet) but I really admire its functionality for being open source. Over the summer I'll probably get around to finally installing it on one of my computers. I'll probably end up dual booting for video editing on Windows, then everything else on Ubuntu.

AoBfrost said:
Funny "Please insert Ubuntu Installation CD to continue"

It's already in there, so I eject, and put it back in. "Cannot detect Installation CD"

:cautious:

Gotta use Wubi and now it's re downloading what it needs to install.

Hmmm, do you have a SATA CD-ROM drive?

Sry guys, but after trying a live dvd (boots from dvd, doesn't install), may not be 8.04, but screenshots looked very similar and german :D , i come to the conclusion:

mac > vista > ubuntu.

and adobe > gimp. and foobar/itunes > linux players. and sharp develop is essential for me, open office and vlc run on windows.

currently, m$ is trying to mimic mac, and they're doing quite well with teh vista. KDE/Gnome are trying to mimic win xp imo. which had a sh*t UI.
and one more thing: too many linux distros. programmers need one base and a good api, then the good programs will follow.

Right now I'm using Fedora, and it works great. Using Windows Wine Emulator, you can install mostly anything M$ related. (I installed D2: LOD without any problems) ;)

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... FINLAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!! (yeah linux is finnish)..
Anyways there are alot different linux operating systems..

My favorite one is KNOPPIX it's an operating system wich you can run from a CD or a DVD (dvd includes extented version) You dont need to install anything just run the OS from the CD.

I run LINUX on my desktop... i recomend it to everyone, altough might be a bit more difficult then windows.
You can modify LINUX as you want (as you said, it's open source), there are unlimited possibilities... as with Windows it's illegal.
and alot harde to since microsoft restricts it and doesnt want the consumers to do it.

-Fin(n)ish

Finnish_Spartan said:
Anyways there are alot different linux operating systems..

Yup..lots of different distros, each is good for certain reasons. If you use them, make an effort to contribute back. Report bugs, fix bugs, do doco, whatever. It helps us all.

-- bk

S1l3nt Vapory said:
Right now I'm using Fedora, and it works great. Using Windows Wine Emulator, you can install mostly anything M$ related. (I installed D2: LOD without any problems) ;)

Yes, Wine is starting to come standard on some distros. It works great. I've seen Halo CE installed on Wine before as well. It's pretty sick

bkearney said:
Plus.. fedora just released version 9. New Gnome, New KDE (first distro with KDE4), and it is _all_ open source. No encumbered code. You can download the live media here:

http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora

-- bk

No thunder taken from Fedora by making this an Ubuntu thread. The new Fedora is awesome as well. I love how easy "yum" is to use. It's great.

Master_Chief_13 said:
sorry, I am quite happy with windows....I've seen ubuntu and I cant quite see the benefits of it

Understandable. For the everyday user who doesn't mind shelling out 100 dollars for an operating system, windows is your best choice.

Finnish_Spartan said:
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... FINLAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!! (yeah Linux is finnish)..
Anyways there are alot different Linux operating systems..

My favorite one is KNOPPIX it's an operating system which you can run from a CD or a DVD (DVD includes extented version) You dont need to install anything just run the OS from the CD.

I run LINUX on my desktop... i recomend it to everyone, alto ugh might be a bit more difficult then windows.
You can modify LINUX as you want (as you said, it's open source), there are unlimited possibilities... as with Windows it's illegal.
and alot harde to since microsoft restricts it and doesnt want the consumers to do it.
-Fin(n)ish

KNOPPIX is awesome. I always have a copy on me. It's great for partitioning drives for etc and Linux file systems. The tools and applications it has is good for the Linux or windows technician

bkearney said:
Yup..lots of different distros, each is good for certain reasons. If you use them, make an effort to contribute back. Report bugs, fix bugs, do doco, whatever. It helps us all.

-- bk

Yes. And as finnish mentioned, the source code is available. It's the only reason Linux keeps going. It depends on the ingenuity of the common programmer and designer

i like linux, but not as an OS for a PC. its too different than windows, and i use XP because it is mainstream, i dont care about the cost, i want a solid, maintained OS. I am not planning on upgrading to vista unless its Ultimate, and my budget dosent allow that right now.

however, linux on an iPod and on the PS2 are two great things to have. i will say its good software for small devices.

CPU64 said:
IRIX=2000Pro>Mac>XP>Vista :cool:

IRIX :p Going old school Unix

never really gave it a good swing, but it sure layed down the building blocks for future Unix OS's

this reminds me to work on my old laptop.

Whats a sold linux platform?

Fun fact bungie switched back to there linux servers after they left m$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back