Uk Product Variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished pulling the second cast of my Iron Man helmet mould using Jesmonite. I like working with it although I've found some draw backs.

It's brittle when thin

It's heavy

The first casts I've pulled is heavier then the master. I made it using 3 layers of Jesmonite.

1st layer is slush cast, using a paint brush to make sure it took the detail.

2nd layer is re-enforcement, using quadraxial fabric (type of fiberglass material)

3rd layer is another slush cast to cover the re-enforcement layer and give it a bit more thickness and strength

Here's a picture I took on my phone, with no clean up on it.

[attachment=14139:Second cast.jpg]

Look to me like a plush :pNice helmet though!

How expensive is the jesmonite? Found any alternatives Jonny?

I'm planning on using smoothon or smoothcast 300 for strengthening my next build. But i can't get any without shipping from america :(

I got a reply from Bentley Chemicals.

Attached is the price list of their Smooth On products.

[attachment=14405:Smooth-On Price List NOV 09.pdf]

Rebostar said:
You can, but it will be very flimsy.

Rebostar i am in the uk too.

plz tell me what print you have and inkjet or lazerjet and what paper you use and where i can get it form aka tesco, pcworld, staples

thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
unheared said:
Rebostar i am in the uk too.

plz tell me what print you have and inkjet or lazerjet and what paper you use and where i can get it form aka tesco, pcworld, staples

thank you

Just to throw in my two cents here, I have been using 220gsm card from The Works, £1 for a pack of 20 sheets, or 6 packs for £5. Runs through my inkjet printer with no issues and is easily sturdy enough for pepping.

found really cheap 220gsm paper the other day, went down barry island for a walk with the misses, went in to hypa value and they had it for 99p for 100 sheets so for the welsh lot on here its happy days. lol

How much weaker is the AC300 Jesmonite? I know it's obviously supposed to be the weaker, and therefore cheaper, alternative, but how MUCH weaker is it compared to the AC100?

DreamHazard said:
Staples is selling 250gsm paper at about £7 for 250 sheets. Just thought I'd drop that in here :)

I cannot find where this is on the site, so im assuming its instore only?

OK, seeing as me and my friend are making the same armour and we used the ame size parts last time, we figure we'll just make one set the traditional way and just mold it and cast two plastic sets, problem is getting the equipment to do so in the UK. I'll look into this Jesmonite stuff that's been mentioned a few times, but if anyone has any tips on where to find the stuff to actually make the mold and jacket that'd be fantastic.

I have a Jarrolds nearby but they only have brush on latex, and the nearest Hobbycraft to me is in... Reading I think and that's a good couple of hundred miles (unless there's one in Norfokl I just don't know about)

Afr0Blu3 said:
OK, seeing as me and my friend are making the same armour and we used the ame size parts last time, we figure we'll just make one set the traditional way and just mold it and cast two plastic sets, problem is getting the equipment to do so in the UK. I'll look into this Jesmonite stuff that's been mentioned a few times, but if anyone has any tips on where to find the stuff to actually make the mold and jacket that'd be fantastic.

I have a Jarrolds nearby but they only have brush on latex, and the nearest Hobbycraft to me is in... Reading I think and that's a good couple of hundred miles (unless there's one in Norfokl I just don't know about)

There are many UK suppliers available for mail order. Check out any of the following:

Tomps

Tiranti

Mouldlife

Bentley Chemicals

DreamHazard said:
Staples is selling 250gsm paper at about £7 for 250 sheets. Just thought I'd drop that in here :)

relly, must be on special offer, i had to pay £10 (but then again it is right next to an art university)

Off to Halfords to have a look and see what they have for sale there - does anyone have any bad experiences with the UK products listed in Page 1 of this thread? Or will the 'David's' range do the trick? :)

Cheers

CelticSpartan said:
Off to Halfords to have a look and see what they have for sale there - does anyone have any bad experiences with the UK products listed in Page 1 of this thread? Or will the 'David's' range do the trick? :)

Cheers

The David's range worked well for me, but is more expensive than the other options out there. However, it's the only brand I could find in shops (Halfords actually), so I chose it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back