Uk Product Variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

Another Brit here ... some great stuff here and very useful to know about the places to get stuff.

I am working on some armour that i plan on using for LARPing and wanted to know if the U-Pol stuff is strong enough (and flexible enough) to resist being hit with a foam weapon or even knocking into someone accidently?

I knwo it is strong but is it too brittle to use for this purpose?

Also has anyone ever used plasti-dip?

After the filler stage? Or maybe on the inside over the fibre glassed bits?

I think it would help seal the skin but have never used it.

Thanks in advance.

Q.
PS Link to plasti-dip ... http://www.plastidip.co.uk/eStore/i...ck,Blue,Clear,Red,White,Yellow&pid=PLD0000066

If anyone knows anyone in the motor repair business, someone in the REME (Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers) or something similair ask them to get a trade card from Halfords that you could use. I've used mine a few times now and the discounts are huge (wiper blades that cost £15 to the public cost me £5). I'm pretty sure the discounts apply to body repair stuff like fibreglass and resin. I'll check over the weekend to make sure though.

(3days aint necro right?) @spaten sullivan the mat leaves the helmet/armour super strong but isnt easy to work with the cloth still leaves strong but is much easyer to useand they go on the inside of helmet or backside of your armour

I dont want to make a new thread for this question so i'll just ask it here

I bought some bondo fibreglass cloth from the US, its been over 3 weeks and it still hasnt arrived. Im getting fed up waiting on it as i cant get on with my models til i get it so i may as well buy some from here. What im wondering is what weave would be the best for pep builds? (im using the standard resin>fibreglass>bondo route) For example i can get this heavy weave cloth http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Meter-f...tEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item1c1da217ec or you can get fine, very fine and ultra fine weave. Does it matter which or would one be better than the other? Just want to check before i order some

I dont want to make a new thread for this question so i'll just ask it here

I bought some bondo fibreglass cloth from the US, its been over 3 weeks and it still hasnt arrived. Im getting fed up waiting on it as i cant get on with my models til i get it so i may as well buy some from here. What im wondering is what weave would be the best for pep builds? (im using the standard resin>fibreglass>bondo route) For example i can get this heavy weave cloth http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Meter-f...tEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item1c1da217ec or you can get fine, very fine and ultra fine weave. Does it matter which or would one be better than the other? Just want to check before i order some

Three weeks is nothing, unless you have it shipped by express or some expedited shipping service. I once waited two full months for something. It also doesn't pay off to import something like fibreglass, because it's easily available here as well.

Twill and atlas weave are best for complicated shapes, but since you're probably going to cut it up into tiny strips anyway, just get whatever is cheapest. 500 g/m² seems a little heavy though, getting something in the 200 g/m² range would be more flexible. You can lay down multiple layers of it for more strength.

3 weeks is alot longer than normal for the US, i normally get things in less than 2 weeks. I wasnt sure then what alternative to get as all tutorials use the US bondo brand so to ensure a correct product i ordered some, didnt matter much as was pretty cheap. I'd prefer to work with the cloth than matting. Thanks i'll see what i can find, 200g is equivalent to fine or very fine weave so i might try something around that weight and see how it turns out. I'd rather have just one layer so hopefully its strong enough on one with the resin. I would be cutting it up into bits yes so it can fit into the grooves and edges easier

I know, i ment to save fibreglass i can mix enough resin to do the lot in one go. I ordered some of the 200g cloth last night so guess what comes in the post this morning? The bondo stuff.. lol. Well i can rest assured that i will have enough to do all my models with. I fibreglassed one gauntlet and my gears codpiece today to see how that process works, didnt mix enough resin to fully saturate the lot as i didnt know how much i'd need so had to mix a second batch, was like 50ml of resin to do the two pieces. I'll know to mix more for next time though. Just did the one layer on these with overlapping between each piece so not sure how hard they will be once dry will have to take a look at them later on tonight. I might post a build thread up tonight for what i've done so far

I have another question. In some video tutorials people use liquid plastic Smooth Cast (US brand) instead of resin in some cases. Would EasyFlo be pretty much the same product (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EasyFlo-C...UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item4a9d9b3204)?

Sometime down the line i want to make a gnasher shotgun to go with my gears cog costume but im not sure how to strengthen weapons since the inside is hollow and unable to be fibreglassed. I've heard the rondo method but wondered if using liquid plastic in the same way as rondo (sloshing it around inside) would provide needed strength? Im unsure if it would work, in theory with it curing to a tough plastic i thought it might work for this but theres no point in me buying it if it wouldnt work. Anyone tried this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back