Macattack64 Mark VI Spartan Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Macattack64 said:
I'm definitely going for a dual layer visor this time. Also It been frustrating having to sand all the paint off because of my error...

YEAH! dual visor! glad to see you helmet coming along really nice. the dual visor make all the difference! keep up the good work!

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a problem with the paint, causing it to just be able to be scratched/peeled off very easily... And I didn't like that at all. It's not supposed to be like that...

Here's a picture
P7040057.jpg

I don't know if this is off well enough or enough for repainting... I still have to get the red of the helmet.

I know I did prime it. It because of one of the coats and it not being 100% cured caused the problem.
Wrong paint and wrong timing... >.<

So it'll be another week before this job is a done deal. Then I'll have more work done on the torso. I've also been keeping track of spending too. But so far it's been good. I'll try to keep this thread updated... But if not I always upload new pictures when I take them and that link is in my Signature and it's here: http://s344.photobucket.com/albums/p344/Ma...k64/Red%20Suit/

(Viper_Legends @ Jul 27 2008, 10:03 AM) Oh. Sorry. I didn't see that you did till after I posted.
No that's fine it's because this time I tried putting a silver under coat, which I didn't do last time on my armor, and that is what messed everything up...

And unfortunately I won't be able to continue sanding up til after about 5:00

If I get far enough along there will be new photo's on my Photobucket.

Also, The only reason I have created a photobucket, is because i've maxed out photo's here on the 405th from my last suit. It won't let me delete old ones or edit them.

Macattack64 said:
No that's fine it's because this time I tried putting a silver under coat, which I didn't do last time on my armor, and that is what messed everything up...

And unfortunately I won't be able to continue sanding up til after about 5:00

If I get far enough along there will be new photo's on my Photobucket.

Also, The only reason I have created a photobucket, is because i've maxed out photo's here on the 405th from my last suit. It won't let me delete old ones or edit them.

Hey Mac, ok this is what I was thinking...ahh I am trying to do something different with the painting and started with that Idea of using "Silver" as the base coat. But I was thinking of maybe adding a Clear coat after I let the silver dry for 24 hours. I have about a 5 more hours then I will add the clear and see how it goes!!

I got the the helmet reprimed with 2 coats:
P7060063.jpg

And here's 2 coats of Black paint...
P7070080.jpg

P7070081.jpg

(JediStumpy @ Jul 29 2008, 04:59 PM)Looks great.....mold it!
Smooth,...but where's the double visor at dude!?

Ionno if I should go that far but maybe... and I'm still looking for some visors on ebay... I've got my eye on 2 but I haven't bought them yet but will soon. I might be buying some leds for the helmet from radioshack and another site but I got 50 red ones coming in from china. They were $5 and they come with free resistors but they aren't going to be the ones i'll need...

Edit: Oh! that visor is from my old helmet, I won't be taking that one for my new helmet, that was just because I went and showed it to someone so I wanted it to look even cooler by having a visor in it... :p

great job on the helmet man now get to work on the other pieces! lol btw i just need to finish the left thigh and boots

I currently have the torso resined. Maybe I'll have it fiberglassed by the end of the week, but it is very doubtful. I think I have to work on, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, But I might be able to get parts of it done.

I've decided to now begin working on the torso since I'm leaving the helmet so long for paint to dry this time around ;)

I still need to get some LEDs, Dual Visors, and those side coils done on the helmet...

Mac, one thing I have a problem with when making my helmets, I never get details on the sides and by the visor. Those layered pieces you put on the sides of the visor, did you just cut them out, glue them, then resin over them? Or did you use some bondo to add thickness? I'm curious about how you got yours so nicely done. Also those details on the side I am talking about, you have thin lines carved into the helmet, what tool did you use? I remember in the bondo sticky, someone said when the bondo was almost dry, but still soft, you carve into it and add detail, is this what you did?

The visor indents I had glued on before I had resined the helmet, thought I did come up with a very nice Idea for it, though you wouldn't have anything to hold ur visor in place if you did it. (I'd be if u left it out and made a dual layer visor and cut that shape off the corner of ur outter layer and left the inner layer how it was...)

They were glued in and then resined, I put a piece of fiberglass cloth on it. It is very had to actually get this piece nice and hard to keep it together or from breaking. You may, if you have to, cut really small strips of fiberglass cloth to glue on the edges of it. Also, it's not noticable but one of the visor indents isn't completely the same, one of them was sticking out further before, and it's edges wasn't hard and rigid, it was still a little papery, so I had to sand it down, and it ends up being flush with the visor.
You wouldn't be able to notice because u can't look at bother sides at 1 time. ;)

I used a plastic ruler, and a circular cutting bit... It would fairly nice, just make sure you don't mess up :p

A metal ruler is suggested.

Also if you use a detailing bit, make sure it fit. I bought one and it doesn't fit in my dremel, so I just ended up using it with my hands, scoring the spots.

I just put my old visor in it so it doesn't look so incomplete...

Here is the helmet as of right now...

P7100095.jpg

P7100094.jpg

P7100093.jpg

P7100092.jpg

P7100091.jpg

P7100090.jpg

P7100089.jpg

Thats beautiful man!
Ya know, I think I might aswell restart my helmet, with the final model >__<
Well live and learn, I can't wait to see it with the dual visor and the tubing!

I've been to hell and back... here's the final and finished paint job, now I'll just have the last little things to do...

P7100108.jpg

P7100110.jpg

No battle damage? Awww

Still looks cool! I just love the amount of detail you put into the helmet! Alot of the spots I noticed have build ups of bondo to achieve a "layered" look, did you just use tape and bondo around it then pull the tape off? I've seen some use this method to raise and lower some areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back