Armoury

Status
Not open for further replies.

JediFraz

Hey Guys I had an idea..

Rather than everybody working independantly to make spartan/ODST/Marine armour..

If we can get a range of average measurements we could start an assembly line process.

For example.
If I make boots, Sinjin makes Biceps someone else makes handplates. Assuming our measurements are similar we make a copy and we swap completed parts.

It'll help build community and help us practise our moulding skills.

Additionally, I know from personal experience if some one else is waiting for me to make something it's a lot more likely to get done as opposed to be trying to make time in real life for my own projects.

What do you guys think..?

If you thjink it's an OK idea I'll put my measurements up and we can get the ball rolling.

Fraz

Fraz - I like the idea but since I'm over the pond, shipping would kill! I think it's a great idea and if enough people in each "area" would sign up for it, that it would really work out well.

And were all of a modelling standard that everyone was happy with.

It would probs be better to find out what we are all good at and then concentrate on that.

Eg Someone might be good at painting, someone else at Pepping etc.

I agree that a helmet might fit all, but bicepts, or boots will be more hard to get due to the different shoe sizes^^

I for one think thats a good idea.... but we have a problem, for example you live in the UK i live in the US would we really want to waste money shipping it across the sea?,and if so then why not? if we could find a way it would work, i'd do all i can to elp ;)

spartan132 said:
I for one think thats a good idea.... but we have a problem, for example you live in the UK i live in the US would we really want to waste money shipping it across the sea?,and if so then why not? if we could find a way it would work, i'd do all i can to elp ;)
i think it was aimed more at the uk area peeps, hence it being in the uk section, but,that being said, the theory can be applyed to anywhere there are alot (or even a few) menbers who are willing to work together (not in some sort of 'Captan Planet' way mind you, that guy freaked me out... i seem to lost my train of thought)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've also been thinking of a similar idea. This one's better though. I'd sign up if I were in the States...

Ah Richie I has the carboard for boots already..
What size are you.? Im UK Size 9.

I would think the size of your overboot would depend what you were wearing under them. If you tandardize what's underneath.are going to standardize a boot you need to standardize whats underneath.

Jedi, would this be making the armour out of Cardstock? if so i can make quite alot as i have just dl the pep files just now, and it seems quite simple to build so if you want i could mass produce the helmets? i have done two trial runs with paper, i got all the pieces together but, paper is too flimsy. Seeing as i built a cardboard dalek then it's quite simple the same rules apply to folds and gluing, i can calculate shipping too for the helms out of cardstock. So we can get them shipped overseas and over the UK, the other parts im going to try some trial runs, if people can supply with links to the other pdo file helms or weapons i can start them too, i got the unfolded scout, your one too jedi (the MC one), any other helms out there please pass on the links.

Quick question what is are alternative for 110 lb cardstock over here in the UK? or do we sell it here?

i hope i can be of some use.

Regards

Matt

Hi Matt. I know some people use light card then glass and body filler. What I do is print onto paper then use 3M Spray mount to stick the paper to heavy duty card. It's so thick that it wont go through a printer otherwise. It's just stuff I picked up from a stationary office. It was end of run so I got it cheap.

To be honest.. Everyone is working on helmets. Id recommend doing a Hi Def chest. If we can get a mould or a vacform pull off a chest then we'll really be on our way.

JediFraz said:
Hi Matt. I know some people use light card then glass and body filler. What I do is print onto paper then use 3M Spray mount to stick the paper to heavy duty card. It's so thick that it wont go through a printer otherwise. It's just stuff I picked up from a stationary office. It was end of run so I got it cheap.

To be honest.. Everyone is working on helmets. Id recommend doing a Hi Def chest. If we can get a mould or a vacform pull off a chest then we'll really be on our way.

hmmm what i could do is take the pep files of the chest, create each piece and then fibreglass each one or i could piece it all together and take a mould from the constructed design. how does that sound. I'm not sure what the process is on here once you have constructed your 'Card' forms what do you do coat them in fibreglass?
I have gone out and got some 220 gsm paper matte finish and it's quite sturdy, So i redone the helmet and it seems fine, umm i need to write a realy long message it seems.

Well jedi if you want, i can make the chest pieces how ever you want, construct them from card and then clay over them for a plug then fibreglass off that. or fibreglass completely off the 'Card' Mould and spray them whatever colour then send em, and i will do it for free of course. I could do it with any piece you want. just name it and the process, then let me know,

Sizes may be an issue though,

Regards matt

get back to me soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
It might be worth figuring out how the final pieces are to be made.

I have access to a vacformer here at work. So it'd be relatively easy for me to make vacform pulls of completed parts.

I have a set of Aliens armour in .100 gauge High Impact Styrene and it's pretty resilient.

Or individually cast fibreglass. sections from moulds.

hmmm i suppose. Well i am just finishing printing off the other pdo files to print onto my card, so will see how that goes, A vacformer is a good idea too, hmmm so what have we got so far and whos doing what?

regards,

matt

well, summer holidays is coming up, so ill have alot of spare time on my hands, however i am saving up for some new wakeboarding gear, so im not willing to pay loads of money, ill pay enough to do something like biceps, but i dont wanna do a chest or helmet.

acually, i have a helmet under work now, its a DF4L helmet, messed up abit at the back but nothing bondo cant fix,

when its finished we could use that instead of making a fresh one, seeing as my main progress is hayabusa, i dont mind that helmet going for other uses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back