Beginning Armour!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuansen

Hi

Me and a friend are going to start making some armor. I have read some of the tutorials but still have a few questions.

1. What is easier for beginners, Cardboard or Pepakura?
2. How long will it take?
3.Should I fiberglass it?

Note: I a new so if I have posted this in the wrong place, delete it.

:)

i am still new and ive found pepakura to be a pretty efficient and easy process just go to like wal mart and get 2 packs of the cardstock for like 5 dollars a pack like me and that should probably last u enough for entire suit at least assuming you only mess up a few times its about 250 sheets a pack

[Q]1. What is easier for beginners, Cardboard or Pepakura?

If you want to make it as detailed as possible use pep.
If you want to make it simple and easy use.

[Q]2. How long will it take?

Don't expect anything to finish quick. Or it will not turn out the way you want it to. Take your time.

[Q]3. Should I fiberglass it?

Yes, so you can have a denser helmet and increase its strength.

Welcome to the 405th and thank you for reading the threads.

Chuan said:
Me and a friend are going to start making some armor. I have read some of the tutorials but still have a few questions.

Well, Pepakura is by far the easiest. Its basically cut and paste. (Get it? heh). There are models to test before moving on to HD models, but you don't really have to do those anyways. Start a size tester helm and see how well you do and try pieces more difficult.

Depends on how much time/skill you have. If you have hours and hours a day, you can get things done even with small skill. If you have a lot of skill and not a lot of time... You get where I am going? You get what you give. It can take months to get a refined piece of pep to something that is beautiful and you can barely tell it started as paper! But for basic pep suit, I wouldn't say that long, but why would you only want to stop there?

Yes. It gives strength to the paper and therefore your armor. If it was just cardboard its A. Gonna look like crap and B. Fall apart. Get some cardstock and start on pep.

If you enjoy pep, continue on to bondo/mud and add in great details. That and a good paintjob can make a world of difference. See how far the rabbit hole goes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Chuan said:
For me, it's pepakura since there is a predetermined shape to the armor piece that is repeatable. That's not exactly the case with cardboard.

Chuan said:
Depends on the person. Some only take a couple of days to cut and paste them together. It takes me a couple of weeks to do the same.

Chuan said:
If you intend to wear the armor piece, then yes.

Chuan said:
Note: I a new so if I have posted this in the wrong place, delete it.
This is the only place where you are allowed to start a thread.

I agree with everyone here. Just a little advise though, don't start on a helmate right away. Try working on simpler and more self-supportive peices, like arm plates. Also, make sure you watch/read ALL of the tutorials before you even begin to start working. It has served me a great advantage.

- Adulese

Hi

One problem I found:

I made a draft piece but it did not fit me. Any help on how to scale the amour would be appreciated!

Adulese said:
I agree with everyone here. Just a little advise though, don't start on a helmate right away. Try working on simpler and more self-supportive peices, like arm plates. Also, make sure you watch/read ALL of the tutorials before you even begin to start working. It has served me a great advantage.

- Adulese

im afraid i disagree with you there

you see, making the helmet last, means that comparing it to the suit, the size could look bad, so you will make the helmet so it looks good with the rest of the armour right? wrong. sure, it will look the right size, but the helmet is the most important part to scale correctly

however, making your helmet first to fit you, then making the rest of the body to look good with the helmet is fine, size on the body doesnt matter as much as the helmet, just add more pading t0 the suit or edit it o make it smaller, but theres nothing you can do to a helmt to make it smaller once is done

Chuan said:
Hi

One problem I found:

I made a draft piece but it did not fit me. Any help on how to scale the amour would be appreciated!

Was the piece too big or too small?

and was it in need of a slight, or massive adjustment?

Ral Partha said:
You didn't even mention which armor piece it was.

Sorry it is the Belt/Crotch piece which doesn't fit me by wayy (Big waist and Thighs)

its looking good, no warping as far as i can see, i know you probabily dont want to but take my advice,
Do High Detail Models.
they are alot easier than they look, and low detail armor usually comes out horribly bad, there are a few exceptions like kensais scar the just which was low detail, and amazing, but seriously, if you want the best looking armour, i would just go for high detail, plus, seeing as high detail already has all the detail on it, bondo isnt usually required (if you pep it well), just resin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back