Star Wars Imperial Guard Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skupilkinson

Ok, firstly I wasn't sure where this should go. I mean it's non Halo but it is Pepakura related so where should it be?

I noticed that no-one was using this pep armor technique in other subjct aside from Ironman so I thought I'd try and make a little wish of mine come true. I modelled up some Fett gauntlets for WetOkole and that got me thinking about Star Wars gain. I've always liked and wanted an Imperial Guard helmet from Star Wars and remembered this mesh I had of one. I didn't model it so I can't take credit for it, I also can't remember who did so I'm sorry to that person for not crediting them here. I have tweaked it a little though and added support braces.
[attachment=4854:IG2.jpg]

I know the upper portion is fairly high poly compared to some of the Halo stuff but all the seams(if built properly) will act as reinforcement for this, each section strengthening the previous one. With the braces then holding the shape for the resining stage.

It's still being unfolded at the mo so I have no idea just how succesful it'll be(if at all), however I'm confident it'll work. Spheres are generally the strongest shape you can make out of paper/cardstock.

The general height for this bucket is around 45cm, the only thing I'm really uncertain about is whether or not it'll fit down over the head. Though that'll come once I've built a test model.

If this works out then my plan is to continue with this theme and model the armor too. The armor will be based in Kir Kanos and it looks like this:
[attachment=4853:Kir_Kanos_NEGTC.jpg]

Hopefully I'll have this unfolded and ready for a test build tonight or tomorrow.

EDIT: Jump to page 4 for pics of the final pep build. If you'd like to download this model and try it for yourself, it can be found here. Hope you enjoy the thread and the file! ;)

Looking good again Skip! Not sure I'd build it (yeah I would). Keep up the great work! I'll be watching the progress on this.

If you and the other modelers keep it up, I'm gonna need a bigger house for all the armor I'll have on display! If I ever get it built. Too many awesome models out there! Good luck with the test build. Post pics so we can all see!

Oh I'll be sure to post pics. ;) Though if I don't it'll be because it was a total failure! LOL! Kiddin'.

I have a few ideas that I'd like to do. Some Helmets and some full sets of armor too, though I tend to get distracted so I'll just go one project at a time.

Sorry for the double post but it is an update so...

I've finished unfolding now. I'm just waiting on some concrete confirmtion on the size of an actual bucket so that I don't print this too small. Then I'll testbuild tonight. ;)

I've laid all the parts out as strips so you can build this from the top down, layer by layer. Makes the build less painfull. Also, I've staggered the cuts in the strips so that they go together kinda like bricks in a wall. This minimizes weak points and seams that could cave in on themselves because they are strengthened by the layers above and below.

Here's a pic of the beta unfold:
[attachment=4856:IG3.jpg]

EDIT: I forgot to stagger the cuts in the face part. That's now been done.

I see great potencial in pepakura for starwars and other armor buildings and such things.
The republic commando game could be used to make those uniforms , and there is some 3d models of r2d2 as well.

/Conny

I rate the royal guard as my favourite all time sci-fi movie helmet. I have to tell you, that model doesn't look quite right to me, if you have it in .obj you should put it in an editor and tweak the proportions, no amount of bondo will make it look right. have a look on the crimson squall forum (if it still exists) or the sovereign protectors forum, you'll find miles of reference images of the helmet, failing that I can probably take some of one of mine for you to model from. Failing that, you could try to pick up a DP helmet on ebay.co.uk, you might get lucky, although the helmets are getting really rare these days, especially in good condition.

Thanks NZ, I'd love to see some pics. I know the face is off. Originally I wasn't going for 100% accuracy but if I can improve it then I will. ;)

I can't justify the funds for buying ne at the mo. Not with baby number four on the way, that's why I'm trying to get one this way.

As for pics of the RC? Not yet. Though I'm not working from the game mesh. When you see the wireframe for it, it's really quite ugly and bad. Good for the game when it's textured, but no good for a 1:1 prop. ;)

I'm just waiting on some concrete confirmation on the size of an actual bucket

Total hight is 475mm, this is from the middle of the back, to the top. the back is slightly lower than the front.
total width is 370mm, this is from the shoulders
(this is for a Don Post, according to the experts, they're under size a bit, I dont know by how much sorry :( )
These pictures should help. I think your model is great, you all the right shapes, I just think you need to work a little on the proportions. Remember to keep in mind, there will be perspective distortion in these images, and you'll need to scale them a touch. I tried to get them pretty straight for you though :)

pictures
DSC00052-1.jpg

DSC00051.jpg

DSC00050-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
sweet fancy moses, i just peed a little.
I seriously would give you a spare organ for a copy of this pep when you're done.

@NZ: Thanks for those pics! They look great! The measurements are slightly different than those I got from Forcepike.com Mainly the height figure. I have it from there as 45cm.

I think I'll keep this one as is and keep the PDO. Just beause I put the time into it, but also I'll tweak the model to try and match it up with these pics too and then have a detailed version or whatever. I think that the face area on my current unfold is wrong, it's a little too simplified. Though this is an easy fix, also I noticed that ridge that sweeps around and up to back of the helmet. I haven't got that on mine at the moment so I'll try to add it or maybe use a floating face to use as a template for the builder to build that area up a little?

@Humungotron: So long as this builds ok and actually fits then I will be sharing it. ;

Thanks again for your input NZ, I appreciate it.

EDIT: Thanks for deaming this thread worthy of being in the pep section. :)

No problem at all :) I love royal guard helmets :)
the height figure you were given may have been from the front to the top? the front is a touch shorter. Anyway good luck

NZ-TK said:
No problem at all :) I love royal guard helmets :)
the height figure you were given may have been from the front to the top? the front is a touch shorter. Anyway good luck

I'm sure the guys said it was a DP too. It's just probably human error. Trying to measure an object like that may give slightly incorrect figures.

I've altered the skull cap on my model now and altered the face. I'll soon add that ridge I mentioned earlier and then unfold that new one too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back