Have A Question? Dont Bother With A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I use clay to detail my armor? I was thinking,put some clay on for detailing (nothing major, only small amounts at a time) then fiberglass, then truck bed line it. Would that work?

that truck bed lining will work alright on the inside, just do NOT use it on the outside. its very difficult to carve out 'fine' details with it.

I've never used clay in that manner. usually clay is used for making masters for making molds because it doesn't hold up very well. I used bondo to fill in around warping and to smooth out details and to allow me to build up an area for detailing. You do have to be patient when using it though, and if you use the filler kind it does make a mess. I used the fiberglass reinforced one so it would be stronger when it was done

How do I apply truck bed liner? Many people have talked about it, but none have actually said how to integrate it into the pepping-fiberglassing-bondoing-painting process. I would think that you would use it after fiberglassing and bondoing, on the outside, but could someone elaborate on that a bit please?

I couldnt put it bettter myself Thanks for the info i will keep all that in mind im not much of the asking alot of stupid questions i love doing research on things thats how i got to be a brilleant game designer. Again thanks for the info great use of words.

okay so i'm trying to scale my pepakura eod helmet(i didn't realize i forgot to scale the first one till halfway through XP) and i did the divide height by inches the multiply by 31.9, but whenever i put in the number i get, it comes out to small, and if i try and do different numbers it comes out to big(like 48 pages big (O_O)). plus its scales i millimeters. can someone help me with the numbers? i'm 6'4" but i said i was 65 so i have room for padding in the helmet. thanks sooo much

1st:

Truck bed liner. Its designed to be like sand paper most of time time. you shouldn't add it to the outside as you will then have a heck of a mess on your hands smoothing it. You can add it to the inside easily enough, just don't forget a little fiberglass for reinforcing. I would suggest 2 layers of fiberglass/drywall tape, quick and easy. Most of the time I have seen the bed liner it has been in a large can. I would venture to guess, you would want to pour some into a smaller container.

The bed liners I have seen cure by drying out. You will want to reinforce your pep or you are bound to lose it. Spray 2-3 coats of clear enamel on it before you start. I would suggest a coat of resin on the outside for added reinforcement. BUT if you are trying to avoid resin completely... your final project will show it. I would suggest a coat of resin on the outside, couple coats on the inside for smoothing later, then apply the truck bed liner with a brush out of the smaller can I mentioned. If you don't apply the first coats of resin you will have a very high chance of warping your parts.

2nd:

For your helmet, its a lot safer to measure your head instead of measuring it by how tall you are...

inch to cm converter: http://www.manuelsweb.com/in_cm.htm

Just remember to multiply your answer by 10 to get mm.

I measured my head sideways and then made my helmet. I have a large head mind you. Width I built my helm to is 231 mm or 9.1 inches, but my head is roughly 7 inches wide. the top of my head to the bottom of my chin is 9 1/2 inches. They say you should build your helmet to be 1 inch wider than your head, but for people with large heads, I would go closer to 1 3/4 inches to 2 inches. That will give you room to mount cooling fans.

greenprimary.jpg

by looking at the picture it doesn't look like its too big, just be aware that I carved the heck out of the bottom of it so my melon would fit, I don't think I could of fit into it if it were any smaller. On the plus side my ears sit right at the bottom of the helmet, making it easier to hear people at conventions...

Ok so Hello everyone first of all, as I'm brand new to this forum. ^^

Right, so as probably most people I'm a little confused with the scaling for the helmet right now...

First of all, I am 187cm tall (6"2), my head circumference is 58.5cm (23 inches) and the height of my head is about 23.5 cm (9.2 inches) (from chin to top).

Now I tried the formula with the divide body height by 86 and so on... and it came out that my helmet had to be 27.3 cm tall.

And when I tried the formula of abrant3 it said that my helmet would have to be 26cm tall...

I built the one with 27.3cm and one tester with a height of 28cm... now both seem a little big but I have no idea where my body parts should be located inside the helmet?

If I lift up the 27.3 cm helmet about 1 inch, the chin piece of the helmet touches my chin and the 28cm helmet seems a little big, but with some space for padding...

I am really confused now, my head is 23cm tall but adding 5cm (2 inches) for padding seems a little much for me...

Now when I would build the 26cm helmet (as in abrant3's formula) I am afraid it would be too small or no room for padding, or the chin piece would touch my chin and I had to cut it off... on the other hand I would have 3cm room for padding... I really have no idea, maybe you guys can just tell me (on the basis of my body measurements) which size my helmet would have to be?

Once you fiberglass and resin it, then add some padding in there for your melon, you can count on no less than 1/2 inch space used up, I have a good 1 inch space used up since I took an el cheapo styrofoam bike helmet and diced it up to fit in there. Keeps it from sliding around. You will want to have room for a few cooling fans and batteries as well. You can see from the picture how much space I have, I had at least 1 inch space at the top. Now with all my padding and cooling fans my chin is slightly above the helmet chin which is ideal. Put your helmet on, or hold it up above your head in the mirror and take a picture.

Ok so since my head is 23cm high, you'd say 1 inch at least which would make it the exact 26cm in abrant3's formula.

Edit:

I just took my first helmet (273mm and not the hd one, regular MC helmet) and added some padding (about 1cm) and it fitted rather good, my chin ended exactly at the bottom of the helmet, but shouldn't it be inside the chin piece??

The only thing that's bothering me is where the chin piece is supposed to be in my face, I mean is it supposed to end just where my chin ends or is it supposed to cover up my chin?

I think when building the final HD helmet I'l just go with 27 cm (4cm more than my head height), that would make room for 1 3/4 inches of padding.

another edit:

Ok so I took my 27.3 Master Chief helmet put some padding in there and it fitted perfectly, so when making my hd helmet I'll really go with 27cm

hey, brand new here. ive read all the stickies about pepakura and was super excited to get started.

So i went and downloaded both the viewer and the editor programs so i could start on the ODST (i figured since i have experience with this type of print and fold for costumes i might try starting there)

anyway, once i downloaded the program and installed i went and got the armor files and when i tried to load the files nothing happened. My computer said that i didnt have the proper program.

I was just wondering if anyone else had had this problem before and what i can do to fix it.

hellbunny said:
hey, brand new here. ive read all the stickies about pepakura and was super excited to get started.

So i went and downloaded both the viewer and the editor programs so i could start on the ODST (i figured since i have experience with this type of print and fold for costumes i might try starting there)

anyway, once i downloaded the program and installed i went and got the armor files and when i tried to load the files nothing happened. My computer said that i didnt have the proper program.

I was just wondering if anyone else had had this problem before and what i can do to fix it.

Did you try opening the file right after saving it? Usually you have to select the program to open it with yourself if you do that. Try opening pep designer then opening the file from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello

Could someone tell me if there is a pep file for the recon chest front and back? And also is there a full shoulder again for recon (by full I mean that is the whole arm part with the recon model)

Thx all

Ok so in short, is this what you do when you are fiber glassing something? You put the resin on, let it dry. Then you put those fiber glass sheets on top of the now dry resin and take a brush and coat the sheets with resin. You then let that dry and then move onto a different section and put more sheets on.

hellbunny said:

Some of the files that you downloaded may be compressed (.rar files) so you need to decompress them first before you can open it in the either Pep Viewer or Pep Designer. Use WinRAR to decompress them.

digitaltrilby said:
Could someone tell me if there is a pep file for the recon chest front and back?

All chest perms (including recon) appear only in front, hence they're meant to be attached in front of the Mark VI chest armor. No back side.

digitaltrilby said:
And also is there a full shoulder again for recon (by full I mean that is the whole arm part with the recon model)

Yes. Check the wiki page.

ROGUEDETAIL said:
Ok so in short, is this what you do when you are fiber glassing something? You put the resin on, let it dry. Then you put those fiber glass sheets on top of the now dry resin and take a brush and coat the sheets with resin. You then let that dry and then move onto a different section and put more sheets on.

Pretty much. Make sure that make the fiberglass edges overlap a little bit. And also, do not brush the fiberglass with resin. Dab it instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all

I've had a look around and a search but can't find what I need - apologies if it's somewhere obvious!

I'm now at the bondo stage and though it's going okay, I'm a little bit lost/confused as to how things should look. Is there a video tutorial anywhere of bondo-ing/sanding/primering etc?

Thanks!

Ok so I just looked around on ebay and saw that the fiberglass cloth comes in various weights.

Now I have found 20 square meters (pretty much) of fiberglas cloth with a strength of 200 grams per square meter. (200g/m²)

Now my question is if the size of the fibers matters or the strength or can I pretty much take any strength I want?

(I know it shouldn't be thin as a hair ^^)

And those 20 square meters cost only 20 bucks with shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350213804431

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone knew any good adhesives/cements or whatever for rubber. I'm making my undersuit from foam cutouts (for thickness) and then wrapping it in a type of rubber, but I need to glue it down. Rubber cement was suggested to me but I was unsure as to if it would eat at the foam? Anyone know about this? The last time I used an adhesives I was unfamiliar with (cyanoacrylate), a drop fell on my workdesk and stinging, pungent fumes spewed out :eek !! Any help would be appreciated.

i need help with 3d modeling,i have google sketchup but i dont know how to use pictures to make a model i was trying to use the photo match thing but i cant get the vanishing points right,im trying to make a republic commando bucket.can anyone help me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back