Have A Question? Dont Bother With A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Daflea Very well said. It is nice to get a reminder of what it's like being new on a forum. Good points, too. People can be over-zealous, thank god for the moderating staff, the search function is not as effective I would like, and information overload is always a factor in this sort of endeavor. I am of the opinion that everyone should pay their dues and read up on techniques. The Q&A team had some rough moments, but I think it is a step in the right direction. Oh, and the hijacking thing can be tricky. A general rule of thumb is not to make a post about your project on someone else's WIP thread. That's my take on it, anyway. All in all nice write-up.

yeah i found this very helpful ill try to keep all of it mind only one question and dont call me a dumb a** or anything whats bumping

major_pain said:
yeah i found this very helpful ill try to keep all of it mind only one question and dont call me a dumb a** or anything whats bumping

Bumping is something users do to "Bump" there topic to the top of the list so that it may get a response.

For example you post a topic and monitor it for a few days and you notice that there has been several hundred views but there have not been any responses.

So typically as your topic move down the thread list a user will panic. Thus your tempted to reply to your own topic, causing it to be "Bumped" back to the top.

Most notable the reply will only contain the word BUMP.

The proper way to bump a topic in my own opinion is to reply with more information to what your trying to find out. This shows that you have made an attempt to resolve your own issue and it can help other users understand your question better. This will typical get the results you are looking for, without upsetting the community.

I hope this answers your question without insulting you lol

Doug

Last edited by a moderator:
UNSC_Leatherneck said:
DaFlea Very well said. It is nice to get a reminder of what it's like being new on a forum. Good points, too. People can be over-zealous, thank god for the moderating staff, the search function is not as effective I would like, and information overload is always a factor in this sort of endeavor. I am of the opinion that everyone should pay their dues and read up on techniques. The Q&A team had some rough moments, but I think it is a step in the right direction. Oh, and the hijacking thing can be tricky. A general rule of thumb is not to make a post about your project on someone else's WIP thread. That's my take on it, anyway. All in all nice write-up.

Thanks for the feedback.

I would agree in your statement of over zealous, this is an exciting hobby that requires a lot of time. Patients is not something everyone has, and this is a hobby that requires a lot of.

No don't get me wrong I have seen some outstanding work by fellow members is a short amount of time. Which is very impressive to say the least. However the key is what you stated you have to pay your dues in a since and take the time to research the topic so that you don't make costly mistakes down the line.

Yea its time consuming but it will pay off, its just to much information all at once so spend a week or month reading. The FS thread was a great help for me and really I learned just about everything I needed there to start my build...

Doug

I was just wondering does anyone have a scout helmet pep file that's numbered (i know i'd be best asking in the pepakura armour forum but i'm noob here and cant post there yet right :p) the basic one on the wiki didnt have the matching numbers on it :unsure:
maybe i should just try the other mirror? or try the detailed model lol
but yer if anyone has the pdo with numbers it would b much appreciated
thanks
edit: both of the basic scout armour helmets are unnumbered

Cobra said:
I was just wondering does anyone have a scout helmet pep file that's numbered (i know i'd be best asking in the pepakura armour forum but i'm noob here and cant post there yet right :p) the basic one on the wiki didnt have the matching numbers on it :unsure:
maybe i should just try the other mirror? or try the detailed model lol
but yer if anyone has the pdo with numbers it would b much appreciated
thanks
edit: both of the basic scout armour helmets are unnumbered
The numbers are put there by the Pepakura program. Any pep file can be configured to print with the numbers. Go to the 2d Pattern Window menu and make sure "Show Edge ID" is checked. And don't forget, the Q&A Team is always here to help. Find a complete team listing in the Noob Forum, Official Q&A Team Sticky, or find a member with the Q&A Team Member banner in their sig. That is all.

Well, some forums have a feature that lets you rate down a post, get enough rate downs and the post vanishes. If a user gets enough rate downs they are unable to post. Also users can set their viewing options to not view any posts under a preset rating. That may help to clean up the forums (at least for a number of people).

Lol it's ok, I'll let you noobs get away with makin mistakes.... for alittle while lol ;)

Did you get my answers to your last questions?

Even though I'm a Veteran, I have a nooby question... Where can I get a hold of the "Insert Name Here" Armor Progress picture?

Boryenko said:
Even though I'm a Veteran, I have a nooby question... Where can I get a hold of the "Insert Name Here" Armor Progress picture?

Do you mean >this< thingy?

(Hahaha, Tracy you had the link on page 8 :p)

I want my next helmet to be 1 centimeter bigger everywhere (hight, depth etc...)
But i use a 4 paper and if i make it bigger (the pieces) they dont fit on the paper.
Should i put the large pieces on 2 papers (50% of the piece on the first and the other 50 on the second) so i have to glue the pieces together again.

Anyone who can help me out?

Glennz said:
I want my next helmet to be 1 centimeter bigger everywhere (hight, depth etc...)
But i use a 4 paper and if i make it bigger (the pieces) they dont fit on the paper.
Should i put the large pieces on 2 papers (50% of the piece on the first and the other 50 on the second) so i have to glue the pieces together again.

Anyone who can help me out?

first off go into the paper settings set the paper size to A4 (if it isn't all ready) then set both the margins to 5
if this still hasn't made it so all the peices can fit then u will have to seperate some peices and spread them onto different pages

adventSpartanMatrix said:
first off go into the paper settings set the paper size to A4 (if it isn't all ready) then set both the margins to 5
if this still hasn't made it so all the peices can fit then u will have to seperate some peices and spread them onto different pages

I know but i need to scale up the helmet.
But the pieces dont fit on the a4 papers after rescaling

Glennz said:
I know but i need to scale up the helmet.
But the pieces dont fit on the a4 papers after rescaling

have you tried rotating them first?
I have a large head and I managed to get all the large pieces on 1 page after rescaling

have you tried using "print preview" to see if the part really fits... maybe the program is just lying to you making you think it really doesn't fit when it fact it does... were talking about using windows afterall...

You have a couple of options:
(There's probably a bunch of sites with this, but this is just the first one I found with them)
1) Legal sized card stock:
http://www.paperworks.com/Merchant2/mercha...ID=161325427522

2) goto kinko's (a copy store) and have them print that page for you on larger card stock.
3) if all else fails split it onto 2 pages.

I'm not sure if I would try splitting the pieces onto 2 pages as it would be tricky to line them back up perfectly, someone more familiar with pep might know how to get the program to do it for you, giving you flaps to reconnect them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back