Have A Question? Dont Bother With A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlacRoseImmortal

If you care to stay at 0% Warn and positivelty contribute to this site then please, read on.

There is a surplus of Threads nowadays that ask for the most basic of questions, most of which are answered in the STICKIES. However, most noobs seem to bypass the stickies. Why? I guess the stickies must be invisible to the newbie eye.

If you are one of the people that don't bother to read before asking, Please DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT MAKING A THREAD asking: What is pepakura? Do I fiberglass the inside or outside of my pep? Why do I need safety gear....... etcetcetc. Hopefully, you get the point.

If you are too lazy to read the stickies, don't expect to be threated like a king/queen from that moment on. Instead, brace yourself for a bombardment of angry posts by annoyed persons. (Which ultimately leads you to getting Warned via The Mods).

It is ok to ask for help, most people here at the 405th are willing to help and learn from each other. This is a very nice, tight knit community and we want to encourage "Keeping The Peace" whilst everyone gets their answers answered.

So, noobs, we have a Q&A Team dedicated to answering your noobish questions. Just find a Member that fits your needs in the Q&A Team thread (most likely listed under THIS one), and shoot them a nice, organized PM conserning your questions.

It will rid the continuous clutter we have on the boards if you all do this. And, it will deffinatley helpout The Mods, who are already busy without having to chase down every dumb new thread about soemthing that has already been covered multiple times in the past.

If you PM a Q&A Team Member about a question, expect a nice, friendly reply back, really quickly. It works!

* LastSpartan's New User Survival Guide
Edited by BlacRoseImmortal

Posting.
You post in a thread to add something constructive or to ask a question. Here are three examples.
Newbie #1 : That’s Kewl. WRONG
Newbie #2 : I love your work. Which molding technique have you used? Correct
Newbie #3 : Y cant I Postt a niew tread? AHHHHHHH!!! WRONG-O
See the differences? There are some rules you have to follow.

First off: Grammar. Who likes to read SMS-style talking? If you can’t understand your own post, I think you should re-read yourself.

Second: Post Dates. Often, good newbies use the Search Function to find old threads. It’s great to see others work. But if you see the date of the LAST reply, and it is more than 1 month old, DO NOT add something like: "Nice paintjob". That’s the fastest way out. If you necro-post (that’s the name) by mistake, you can always use the “Delete” Button. That way we can send the dead back to it's grave. If you have a comment or question, PM the OP (Original Poster). Most people would love to share any information they have about that certain threads' topic or whatever. The only time necro-posting may be allowed are for those few threads out there that are titled something like "Post your gamertags" or "Welcome Noob: Introduce yourself" or "How did you find the 405th" etcetcetc. That is the ONLY time it may be allowed. Period.

Oh another thing, Double/Triple/Overkill/Etc posting will get you smashed with the banhammer. There is an EDIT button at the bottom of everyone of your posts, USE IT! There’s NO auto-merging button activated on this forum. This will save you a lot of troubles also. The only time you may Double post (dont push it) is if your two posts are separated by 1 or 2 days, Preferably on your OWN THREAD. If it is some nonsense thread that really has no business being brought back to the top of the board, just let it go. Another way to post a second reply without double posting is to Copy your first reply, delete it. Than you post a new reply with your previous post’s content plus what you wanted to add.

Starting a new Thread (this works hand-in-hand with what was Originally Posted By BlacRose): Before you start a new thread (Not including WIPs), please, use the Search Function; it will save you alot of trouble versus manually searching. If you start a new topic about some super awesoem news you just heard, be aware that someone might have beaten you to the punch. If for some reason 2 threads open up about the same thing at the same time, let a Mod know so one of them can be locked.

WIP threads: Everyone is allowed one WIP Thread per Project (i.e. One for armor and another for a weapon, etc). But before you open up that thread, STOP! Do you have any progress thus far? Do you have at least one picture to show of that progress? If you answered NO to one or both of these questions, DON'T onpen a WIP Thread. It will only get locked and you will get warned. End of story.

How to name your threads: Naming your thread with a good name will get more views than a thread named "Ima Noob". By writing something like: [Username] Progress thread or WIP thread + adding a DESCRIPTION will help you get people's attention. -Thanks UNSC_Leatherneck

Bumping: Bumping is not allowed. No type of bumping is allowed. End.

B. Respect of other members: If you lack common sense or good human manners, then you need to pay attention. Like said in the slogan, Armor Before Attitude. This forum is built for showing and teaching Halo props. Not to be rude with anyone. Not even newbies. No one. Respect is a large word. Let’s see the definition together.
“Respect is one of the most (if not the most) important attributes for society to maintain, yet it is hard to define. On its broadest level respect is the acknowledgment that someone has value. They may be rich, work very hard, or may simply treat everyone in a way that gives them value. The importance on this value is that it changes peoples reactions towards you, usually in a positive way. A person is more likely to treat you nicely if you do what is asked of you instead of arguing with them. It is the value you earned while doing what you were told that has lead the person to respect you and therefore treat you nicely.”
Do I need to say more?

If you still need help with the whole Respect thing, I suggest you read everything in this avaliable link before you get banned:

All the Imortant Stickies that Noobs Must Read

As UNSC-Leatherneck has stated in his Blog, and I quote:
People, let's face the facts. You have joined up with the premier Halo costuming and prop community in the world. In all likelihood, the 405th is going to become a costuming club on the order of the 501st. The people here have done some amazing things and have devoted large amounts of time, money, and energy into producing this stuff. For some, this hobby occupies a LARGE portion of their time. These are consummate professionals. They have high standards for themselves and hold those around them to equally high standards. If you do not like this or can not deal with this, LEAVE!

The core values of the 405th offer excellent guidance. Bravo Zulu to Adam and the moderating team for developing these. They are simple: Honor, Armor, Unity.

Honor: It is not by mere chance that honor is first. Among this group integrity, trustworthiness, and respect are among the most important things. Respect others, and you will be respected. Everyone's work has value, respect that. It may not be the equal of the best armor here, but it is the creator's best effort. Do not diminish this. Offer polite, constructive criticism. Otherwise keep you mouth shut.

Armor: This site is devoted primarily to armor and Halo armor in particular. Props and costuming are important, but remember this, the armor is what separates the Chief from every other UNSC rank and file. Halo costuming is foremost here, but any sci-fi armor/costuming has a place. The craft is enriched by input from outside the direct genre. With this in mind, keep your topics and posts in line with this as much as possible. This is a community, and discussions outside of the genre will invariably crop up, but remember: it's all about the armor.

Unity: We are a team, a community. As the 405th moves into the public stage, we will prosper or fail as a team. Stand with your fellow costumer. This connects with the Honor part. Respect the work of your fellow creators, offer encouragement when possible, criticism when appropriate, and humor as needed. This community is becoming pretty close knit. As you enter it, realize that you will be judged not by the quality of your armor, but by the quality of your character.

With these tips, you should be able to stay on the forums for a while. Enjoy your stay, and Happy Props Building! - LastSpartan

I hope some of you noobs read this and learn from it. -BlacRose

EDIT: For those few that actually want to read through everything for themselves, let me clarify (as most of the older members have) that the STICKIES are at the top of every individual board with a little picture of a Bell next to them. The Stickies are distributed into the proper sections of the forums/ subforums/ boards. So it takes alittle effort to find what your looking for, but once found I promise you will get your answers.

The Wikia can be found here

Thanks go out to LastSpartan and UNSC_Leatherneck for contributing to this OP<3

Last edited by a moderator:
How would you/us make a list?
start a new thread and just people post if they are willing to volunteer?
what kind of criteria, like a said before, would you consider someone to be "Q&A Team" worthy?
- must have a complete helmet
- must have at least 5+ completed pep/molded pieces
- must have Member status

also you could break it down into people who do molded, pep, or both. also list people how know electric stuff
I just got an idea.
use symbols like:
H - completed Helmet (could be H-DV meaning people who did dual visor...I get those questions everyday on youtube)
5+ - have completed more than 5 pieces (molded or pep)
M - (don't really need it since it says Member under your name)
E - For electric (LEDS, fans, other things)
M - People who know molded armor things
P - People who know pep things
CB - People who know Cardboard

You could just put these symbol under your membership status (like how staff or mods have it under their names)
But I thread to just take volunteers would be a go start. Just list out the criteria in the 1st post/topic and say only post if you meet these things are are willing to help answer question.

any other ideas are welcome.
what do you think (BIR)?

So I was wondering what the red/pink/purple/grey box to the left of each topic mean. Can anyone fill me in? (I tried the search tool to figure it out...) o_O

MisterSwiss said:
So I was wondering what the red/pink/purple/grey box to the left of each topic mean. Can anyone fill me in? (I tried the search tool to figure it out...) o_O
There's a little section down the bottom of the page when you go into each forum section that has a breakdown of all the icons:
Picture11.png

BlacRoseImmortal said:
The Key is on the bottom of the forum index page hun ;)
Yeah, what she said :p

Hello everyone,
I'm new (of course)
I'm thinking of starting to make myself a set of armor,
I was wondering, how do you decide who's armor to use?
I see alot of really good pep files,
How do I decide which to use?

Thanks ,
MWIK

Depends of the amount of time you want to use to build your suit. The highest the definition, the longer it will take. It will take less time with Bondo tho.

If you haven't Peped anything yet, start with JediFraz's models (Halo 2) or any size testers to use yourself with Pepakura.

Flying_Squirl last helmet is a good one to build if you are really good ;)

Ohh oops, I forgot to post that Ive already got intouch with MW ImmortalKing and have sent him all the stuff he needs to start :D

My bad.

hey i'm moderatly new though as far as im concerned i'm new. so i tried to use the pep index and all it says is that there is an error or somethin. wat am i supposed 2 do now? is there another place with a lot of pep files? thanks

m16 said:
hey i'm moderatly new though as far as im concerned i'm new. so i tried to use the pep index and all it says is that there is an error or somethin. wat am i supposed 2 do now? is there another place with a lot of pep files? thanks
I don't think people are reading the first post in this thread closely enough. This thread was not intended to be a clearing house for minor questions and problems. The intent was to provide some guidelines for when to post, when to PM people for questions, and general forum behavior.

BlueScreen said:
Er, not really... 6 months-ish. I'm just not the best XD And I'm too lazy to actually WORK... also, I think I forgot to add that I'm an avid spriter - does anybody else sprite here? Also, no, I'm not Amish, I just don't want to get banned XD Also, my little brother is... er, how do I put this... ANNOYING and TATTLEY.
lol do u know how i can thread because im new around here :(

THE KILER24249 said:

Before anyone shouts at him don't worry, I've been sorting all his questions out in PMs lol.

THE KILER24249 said:

Welcome to the 405th! I would suggest introducing yourself here and catch up on some reading in the stickies :]

Dont forget to have fun and make friends

spartan8675309 said:
ummm i didnt know were to put a post and it got locked y?
Right now, you can only start a thread in the Noobs sections. As for mods locking your threads, mentioning dollars amounts with the intent of buying will do that.

spartan8675309 said:
ummm i didnt know were to put a post and it got locked y?
sir you are on a really bad road what you are doing is spamming right know please read stickies they are the threads that say sticky nect to them.

Its because you made a silly mistake, or poorly executed or ridiculous question, the mods did not like it, so you got punished for it.

you also have to start speaking in ENGLISH, not NOOB or TXT. we cant understand. i can hardly read half of the noob posts, and i go to /b/ for gods sake!

just finished glueing together my first helmet...
umm... i am confused about the fiberglassing...
do i put the fiberglass on the inside first, then put just resin on the outside...
do i put fiberglass on the outside after the resin on the top dries?

soooo if i want to create my own pepakura model or 3d model what program should i use to export it to pep :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back