Official pepakura scaling thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redsleighdown

Just though this may make some people's work a little easier.

If you have completed any pep armor pieces, please post telling if the armor was too big or small(also give your body measurements) and if you did any rescaling. No one-on-one discussions please.

Thanks
-Red

Last edited by a moderator:
Mk V helmet- fits perfect, scale number 9.26 for H1 MC model, head circumferance 18 in. Scale based on NAS molded helmet dimensions.

What is your height and build? Im trying to figure out how to scale my armor if I am 5'8" and am pretty skinny.

Nice one Red. Can we sticky this one along with the tutorial thread?

Default 'real world' scale as initially published is 30.342.
That fits a 46 inch chest and the groin fits a 34/36 inch waist.

Jedi,

How do you figure the scaling factor to use in pepakura?
Im 5' 8" 36" waist and the stuff is too big on me.

WARNING, THIS IS ONLY FOR FRAZ'S MJOLNIR PEP FILES. DON'T PM ME THAT SOME OTHER FILE DOESNT SCALE RIGHT, THATS NOT WHAT THIS IS MADE FOR.

Here we go peeps.

This should work for the most part, if you have a normal sized body like Chief it should work for sure. But if you are a bit chunky so to speak, or the oposite which would be a bit of a rail (aka, that sexy girl Sean Bradley ;-) ), you will probably want to change the sizing a bit more or less to make sure your limbs and chest fit.

I'm not getting behind the formula because it's a waste of time. It seems no one cares how the math works just as long as it works. So here's what you do.

Add up your height in inches. There is 12" to a foot. We'll use my hieght for the example. I am 5'11" which equals 71 inches.

Divide that by 86: 71/86 = .82558

Multiply that number times the scale it currently is, 30.342: 30.342*0.82558 = 25.04979

Now in Pepakura, go into 2dPatternWindow and select "Scale Up/Down by specifying value"

Under scale, put in the new scale (for this equazion its 25.04979). Do this for all of your pieces to be symmetrical.

One thing to keep in mind
The size of the scale that is in use before you edit it is from the base of the ground to the top outside of MC's helmet. You don't really want the top of your head to be touching the top of the inside of the helmet if you expect it to fit right. So you may want to add two or three inches to your actual hieght before doing the math. This may help other areas as well, where it could come through a bit tight.

Feel free to ask any questions about how it's done here. But I would appreciate it if the PM's for me to scale their armor for them would stop. If you can't do this math (we're not in school, you can use a calculator), I can't help you.

Thanks,

I did some chest measurements and used your formula and it came out to about what I spent an hour figuring out. Now I feel confident to redo the chest. :hyper:

Fizzle, that was great info. Although I would recommend adding more around 3-5 inches if you are of a large build and only .5-2 inches if you are skinny. I did my helmet exact and it barely fits on my head, so I scaled up the other peices from 29.3 to 24 for a better fit.

Frizzlefry said:
Here we go peeps.

This should work for the most part, if you have a normal sized body like Chief it should work for sure. But if you are a bit chunky so to speak, or the oposite which would be a bit of a rail (aka, that sexy girl Sean Bradley ;-) ), you will probably want to change the sizing a bit more or less to make sure your limbs and chest fit.

I'm not getting behind the formula because it's a waste of time. It seems no one cares how the math works just as long as it works. So here's what you do.

Add up your height in inches. There is 12" to a foot. We'll use my hieght for the example. I am 5'11" which equals 71 inches.

Divide that by 86: 71/86 = .82558

Multiply that number times the scale it currently is, 30.342: 30.342*0.82558 = 25.04979

Now in Pepakura, go into 2dPatternWindow and select "Scale Up/Down by specifying value"

Under scale, put in the new scale (for this equazion its 25.04979). Do this for all of your pieces to be symmetrical.

One thing to keep in mind
The size of the scale that is in use before you edit it is from the base of the ground to the top outside of MC's helmet. You don't really want the top of your head to be touching the top of the inside of the helmet if you expect it to fit right. So you may want to add two or three inches to your actual hieght before doing the math. This may help other areas as well, where it could come through a bit tight.

Feel free to ask any questions about how it's done here. But I would appreciate it if the PM's for me to scale their armor for them would stop. If you can't do this math (we're not in school, you can use a calculator), I can't help you.

Glad you liked my formula idea Frizz. And you've edited it to perfection :heart:

Wouldn't expect any less of the author of the awesome tutorial!

I have, but right now I just want to get a wearable one going. And that's moving at a snails pace as it is.

The oracle thing with the tentacle holding it is intruiging (sp?) to me too.

Umm well what if its in jpg format and not in pepakura? Where should you put in the information then? Also since I've got a Mac it pops up in Preview? So what should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back