Mandoman's Mark Vi Helmet Master

Status
Not open for further replies.

MandoMan531

UPDATE!! Due to airpockets i ran across, i redid my helmet with FS's model andthis time used Shell Shock by Smooth-On. Heres the progress so far.

Cardstock helmet, made to the default scale. Barely fits on my head, but once its on i have plenty of room.
Picture008.jpg

First i put on a good coat of primer, Duplicolor High Build formula. This was just to make the paper a bit stiffer and less likely to shift when the urethane plastic is brushed in. Plus it filled some of the smaller gaps in the paper.
Picture003-1.jpg

Heres the Shell Shock Slow, parts A and B and the instructions/MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet). ALWAYS read the MSDS before using any type of composite etc. And ALWAYS use a respirator.
Picture006.jpg

Heres the mixing containers i use, you can get them in the painting section at Wal-Mart, Lowes etc. The mixing instructions say to stir the jar of Part B before mixing so i did that being sure to scrape the sides and bottom. The mixing ratio is one part A to four parts B, so i filled the container to the 4 ounce line with Part B and used a smaller measuring cup to measure out 1 ounce of Part A. Then mixed Part A into the container for one minute. The instructions said it would begin to thicken immediately, but i didnt seem to notice until about halfway through the batch.
Picture007-1.jpg

And here it is brushed into the paper helmet. i was afraid it might come out through the gaps in the paper, but it didnt seem to leak at all. The Slow formula has an 8 minute pot life, but i still had a tiny bit of waste when it got really thick and i couldnt get it out of the mixing container.
Picture005-2.jpg

All in all i really like the Shell Shock, depending on the final results, i may use this in all of my helmets from now on. My plan is to sand as little of the paper as possible. Once its done im going to give it a few more coats of primer and try using some spot putty to see if thatll fill it in enough.

WETA ODST or Tre Battle's Marine helmet is next. :whistle:

using all Smooth-On products, seeing as how theyre located in Easton, PA which is 1-2 hours from my house. I ordered this on Friday afternoon and got it on Tuesday. The tracking said it shipped Monday, so if i order on a regular buisness day, ill receive it the next day. :D

anyone with experience molding please shed some light on this. i have a general idea but theres no such thing as too much knowledge.

well buy the rebound 25 not the urethane stuff trust me it destroys things and make sure its thick in all spots so it will not tear if its thin again i know this from expierence

yea i came across some good info on Rebound 25, and it seems thats the way im going. money isnt really an issue so the cost of the Rebound is fine. thanks for the info, i plan to brush the first few layers on and then go with the thickening agent to bulk it up.. i think im going to be asking them what they have that could be used for boot soles, if they can direct me to a urethane or otherwise with a good hardness and wear property, im gonna start making the molds for accurate boot soles.

you happen to know the names of the thickening agent and the stuff used for mother molds? it kinda looks like plaster/foam when its cured.

UPDATE!

so excited right ow. did a bit of sanding after work today and shot a light coat of primer over it and it looks GREAT. however i did run across a soft spot on the right side of the brim, due to that area being so hard to get glassed properly. so i cut out the soft spot at put a bit of filler on it until tomorrow. I apologize in advance for all my pics being upside down, sideways etc. i hate using pictures from my phone, but i cant find the data cable for my camera.

Picture002-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont use thickining agents with my R:25. just brush/pour it on. make it at least 2" or more thick in places, so it wont tear, and you can get a lot of use out of it.

and if you do that, you obviously wont be doing any vac forming, so get a quart or so of the plastic from them as well. it cost about half as much as the R:25

rock on and good luck!

dannifood4less said:
nice to see my file still being used.. hehe i have been away with real life for a while..

thats because your file is detailed but simple. im using your model a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
well since I've found a few more air pockets, and considering there's some detail I want to add (using legendary helm for reference) that'll be difficult to sculpt into this one, I've issued a redo. Decided to try flying squirrels model. Update tonight when I get home. Going a bit of a different route, gonna do a Layer of either mud or casting resin first to try and eliminate most of those air pockets.

BTW. Is it just me or are there no tabs to insert the visor in flying squirrels helmet file? How do I insert the visor?

OK, finished the FS High-Detail model. Yay! Made it the starting size of 26.5 cm. I wear a 7 1/2 inch New Era fitted hat, and my head BARELY fits into the opening, but once its on i have plenty of room, i dont think its a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back