Armor Strapping 101

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you be a bit more specific? Which strips on which pieces? Some are laced into the harness, some are bolted into T-Nuts recessed into the pieces themselves, and some are epoxied in place. I thought I showed all three methods but if I missed something, please let me know and I'll do my best to explain or get pics.

Thanks!

Ahhh...I understand!

Yes - the strapping in that section (upper thigh) is epoxied directly to the fiberglass. Just be sure that the surface is properly prepped (no paint, slightly rough) and use a high-strength epoxy. I epoxied it "face-to-face" and then added additional epoxy around the edges and over the top for extra strength. The same method was used to secure the neodymium magnets just below the strapping. They haven't come loose in three years so it looks like it's working... :D

Ahah okay thank you for the answer :D!
Just a last question: I made my ODST armor with a resin (polyurethane) in the pieces and bondo on the pieces. I have a silicone glue which is used on bathrooms ( http://www.linternaute.com/bricolag...silicone/appliquer-le-joint-au-pistolet.shtml ) and which is very stronger. Do you think this glue will be fix my straps on the resin?
Because I haven't an epoxy glue and my competition is for saturday ^^' ...

Adhering strapping to resin pieces should be fine. For the Bondo, it really depends on how well the Bondo itself bonded to the substrate (underlying pieces). Bondo really isn't meant to hold structural loads - it's more of a filler/surface coating. You may be OK on one piece but then it may fail on another. The only way to know is to try it...

I would strongly recommend AGAINST using the product you linked above. It looks like a simple silicone caulk which isn't anywhere near strong enough to hold under the kind of movement you will subject it to. Silicone caulk of that type is primarily a sealant with some adhesive properties for light duty applications. It simply isn'y strong enough.

You need to look for some actual 2-part epoxy with a working strength of at least 1500 pounds (the higher, the better). Something from Devcon or Loctite like this:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_74434-81093...arch_google-_-Paint-_-Adhesives-_-epoxy paint

Good Luck!

Excellent Tut! I'm having trouble finding a belt and suspenders, the first link on your thread still works and It looks like I can find the webbing,buckles,and screws from there but if you could help me with the rest that would be awesome. Thanks.

One of the biggest things I've had issues with has been the faulds across the abdomen, and the pelvis.
I have a strong martial arts background (my main focus was CLFBS and Northern Shaolin kung fu), so my other MA buddies and I usually show off a fair bit at events in our body armour. Being a panther and dragon stylist, there is a lot of twisting and bending involved in my styles, and armour can be very restrictive.
To get around it, I ended up breaking my armour into many little overlapping pieces; a scale armour instead of solid plating. This can be a lot heavier and a hassle to get on and off, but it gave me the flexibility and maneuverability I needed.

Awesome tut, man. I always have problems with my belt though, probably due to my large hips. I think next year for Dragon I'll defintiely improve....

And if i had remembered that you were in a fighting circuit, I would have talked to you about it at Dragon! I did martial arts for a while, Japanese sword stuff...

Sorry about the broken Ebay links to the specific products however the first link to the store is still intact. Just look for the 1-1/2" black heavy strapping and the associated buckles for that size. I would update the tutorial however it FAR exceeds the new "image" and "number of characters per posts" limits on the new and improved forum software... :p

ETA:

There have been additional inquiries regarding the belt and suspenders as those Ebay links are also broken. The original links were only examples and weren't meant to last forever. The belt is a standard heavy duty web belt (sometimes referred to as a "pistol belt"), usually 2", 2-1/4", or 2-1/2" wide and they use a quick-release buckle. They can be found at most Army/Navy/Outdoors stores, on Ebay, at Police Supply Shops, or even at flea markets. They really aren't that hard to track down.

The suspenders are simply military-type "Y" or "H" harness suspenders and can usually be found at the same type of stores as the belts. I prefer the "H" harness type as it offers more support/stability. Make sure that you match your belt type to the suspender type so the attachment points work together (snaps, clips, eyelets, ets.).

Thanks and good luck!

Also, if you're having trouble finding things online, you should look for your nearest military surplus and military disposal stores. They always have heaaaaaaaaaps of these things for low prices.

great tutorial but im quite confused about codpiece, how do you join the belt to it? i dont have a pressure suit and im not getting 1 soon.

This is SO awesome. I made my very first costume last month for my two year old's "2 Infinity and Beyond" Buzz Lightyear birthday party. I decide to have a "REAL" Buzz show up and bring his gifts to him. My Buzz 1.0 suit was OKAY. But I would love to go further...just for the fun of it. And after seeing all these awesome techniques...I'm very inspired!

I don't know how to post a photo on here yet. BUT if you want to view my first Buzz you can here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbfatcat/5138101230/

8Q37uf

So anyway! I WISH I can run onto this forum last month. Even my first Buzz needed some strapping. I couldn't figure out how to lash together the thigh pieces so I ended up not using them. Made me sad.

ANYWAY...I hope make a Buzz 2.0 using cardstock and fiberglass. This strapping guide will help!

THANK YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back