My Armor Project - Master Chief Armor - Updated Sept. 22, 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

vwnthusiast

Well after a few small posts and lots of lurking, I guess its time to show you what i've been up to in the past couple of weeks. Right now all i have really done is gotten the helmet assembled and some resin layed on it. I'm actually doing the helmet for a school project so I plan to do some serious work to it in the next 3 weeks but also in the mean time i plan to start on the hand plates and fore arms also but I do have a lot of school stuff to get to (applications, scholarships, portfolio, etc.) so I dont want to push too much time into this since school is more important to me. From what you can see it didnt come out too bad so far, there's a few small areas that bug me but ill correc them in time. I used a Fraz pep file so I really dont know if its an low def or HD but that wont hold me back from tryin to put in some serious detail to the helmet.

I just want to add that this armor wont be a to spec suit, I want to add a few of my own different additions that would make it more comofortable and more unique to what i like

Here are some pics:

2865294599_a93d682130_o.jpg

2866115812_68baea7cb1_o.jpg

2865294605_1c3b722b22_o.jpg

Looks good to me, I have a completed Fraz suit myself, you can see my finished product in my signature to see one of the higher detailed Fraz suits out there. Keep up the good work and hit the Q&A Team up if you have any questions. Let your creativity go wild, not alot of detail shouldn't limit you, just opens up more possibilities for your pallet.

Cheers,
Kensai

kensai111 said:
Looks good to me, I have a completed Fraz suit myself, you can see my finished product in my signature to see one of the higher detailed Fraz suits out there. Keep up the good work and hit the Q&A Team up if you have any questions. Let your creativity go wild, not alot of detail shouldn't limit you, just opens up more possibilities for your pallet.
Cheers,
Kensai

yea i've been definitely using the Q&A and stickies alot, my plan is to "possibly" have the armor done within 7 weeks (by Oct 31) for a Halloween Party at a local lasertag place here by me. The only real thing holding me back from putting down some serious hours down on this is well school and im working two jobs until the end of this month, also i have a car show i'm trying to get ready for that'll be next weekend, so im tryin to put down some hours this week and next week so all i really have to do is small things like take my dremel and do some detailing on the helmet and wiring up the LEDs, and also the visor

but i should have all my major problems done and dealt with school by the end of this month leaving me lots of time in october for this project

but more or less most of that really was kind of mentioned in the previous post :x

Last edited by a moderator:
you could have cut down the amount of scoring you did by changing the angle of lines considered flat. that is a *lot* of scoring.

Looking good. Since it's for a school project, experiment. Learn from this. It will help you later with a full suit. You may mess up but it will be worth it in the long run. Most screw ups can be fixed. Have fun with it.

tlither said:
Looking good. Since it's for a school project, experiment. Learn from this. It will help you later with a full suit. You may mess up but it will be worth it in the long run. Most screw ups can be fixed. Have fun with it.

speaking of experimenting, i was actually considering just adding a lil bit more fiberglass resin on the outside and then bondo it but putting urethane resin in the inside for strength but what that means is goin out to get urethane resin bc we've had bondo and fiberglass stuff here for a while so idk its either that or fiberglassing it and then bondo which would be cheaper

a small little update:

here are some fitment tests i did of the helmet

2869773080_92fc1e5f64_o.jpg

2868949077_2cabe18b3e.jpg

2868949083_08f4b65fcd.jpg

2869779480_4647502bbe.jpg

and here i am starting the fiberglassing, im so glad that we were able to get a crap load of fiberglass resin, fiberglass cloth/mat, and even have a full gallon of bondo for free from my dad's friend... its gonna save so much money for me in end

2868957533_fc379c6498.jpg

2869826370_ec18c96873.jpg

2869832648_e4427631ab.jpg

so by tomorrow, the helmet should be fully fiberglassed, and ready for some Bondo... after that.. i'll sand it smooth and take our dremel for some detailing...

i want to paint it matte black and ill be using a silver visor.. i figure i'd make this thing my own style if im going at it ya know

Go nuts man, don't follow the norm. I get more compliments about the original things I did on Scar (the scarred face, the blood splatters, the name tag, the member number on the back of the helmet) than the design itself. Don't be afraid to take risks.

Cheers,
Kensai

kensai111 said:
Go nuts man, don't follow the norm. I get more compliments about the original things I did on Scar (the scarred face, the blood splatters, the name tag, the member number on the back of the helmet) than the design itself. Don't be afraid to take risks.

Cheers,
Kensai

Oh i def wanna go nuts on it.. I was thinking of getting a pint of "blood" from WalMart to spray on the suit or even something more blue/orange-ish to be like Covenant blood , going outside where i live and scuff up the suit on rocks throw it on some dirt on it to make it look like its been throught some serious damage, but then again as I PM'd SKG I was thinking of leaving it a smoothe matte black to make it look like fresh un-used armor too

small update tho while I'm here: I just finished a full 1 layer (kinda 2 on some parts) of fiberglass on the helmet, tomorrow im heading to a motorcycle store or two and gonna pick up two visors so i can start dremeling and getting those ready so i can install in the inside... i should start either the 2nd/3rd layer of fiberglass tonight or i just may strengthen from the inside and work on some Bondo work with my dad b/c im gonna have to lay it on a lil thicker on some spots so that i can dremel some details like on the upper hand of the helmet, back on the neck, mouth, etc.

i should begin getting the handplates and forearms built up and ready for fiberglass this weekend beginning into early next week and if all goes according to plan, on next week i should have my helmet Bondo'd, sanded, detailed, and painted, leaving me only to really get the LEDs wired up and maybe even some fans if i desire it.. and also i should by next weekend have the handplates glassed and about 70% done and the forearms about 30% done

i will have some photos for everyone today (Sat) as I dont want to touch the helmet to let the resin harden

Please, please, please take my advice. Don't rush this. If you try and meet a deadline you're going to make stupid mistakes, burn yourself out and not be as satisfied with your end result. I know you really want this for Halloween, but I promise you, you will thank me later. As far as smooth or battle damage goes, if this is your first piece, go battle damaged. You can take a few mistakes you WILL make and turn them into something cool... ala the scar of my helmet. The Bondo and sanding stage for this project is going to be 3/4th of your time, FYI. Just remember, too much battle damage = hideous piece of crap. Don't take it TOO far, trust me, tried that route too.

Cheers,
Kensai

Another progress update:

My Dad and I started the Bondo process, this is where it sits right now, letting it cure over night to make sure its golden hard for tomorrow's fun day of sanding...

You'll more than likely see tomorrow some added Bondo on certain parts to bulk it up so i can add some dremel detail

I unfortunately didnt get a chance to make it to the motorcycle shop since my buddy closes down early on Saturdays and I was up late working on the helmet or other stuff and I wanted/needed to sleep a little late to rest up, I'll be picking the 2 chrome/silver visors hopefully tomorrow if the price is right and also getting the 4 LEDs

well here are some pictures, hope your enjoying the progress (pics are blurry b/c I couldnt keep a steady hand tonight):

2877723861_bd5cc1cc5a_o.jpg

2877724703_585724efd7_o.jpg

2877725359_a69de0b29b_o.jpg

2878559650_4c58a363ea_o.jpg

UPDATE: September 23, 2008

So we started sanding the helmet, and i assembled the pep files for the left forearm (no pics)

here's the 1st Stage of sanding, we still have a lot to do

2880696319_b38ca06065_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back