I've Looked Everywhere On How To Give Cardboard A Shine

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMer56

Sr Member
How could I make cardboard have a slight shine (basically look like it is not cardboard and polished)?
Tell me if you know! :D
(sorry if this was posted in an older thread, but I looked and couldn't find anything!)

Could try giving the stuff a couple light coats of PVA glue which first soaks in a looks rubbish but after a couple coats gives a smooth shiney finish...i would highly
suggest trying on a test peice first though
as to much on a first/second go "can" ruin your work

clear nail polish? resin? crisco?

You can probably use just about anything to give it a shiney surface....

EDIT: Just so you know for future reference, the Q&A Team is more than happy to tackle your questions via PMs :]

demon2005 said:
Could try giving the stuff a couple light coats of PVA glue which first soaks in a looks rubbish but after a couple coats gives a smooth shiney finish...i would highly
suggest trying on a test peice first though
as to much on a first/second go "can" ruin your work
That way works really well. Ive done that with table tops for warhammer 40k to get the water effect and looks amazing when you get it all done

Last edited by a moderator:
How about a thin layer of transparent caulking? The small inequalities would give it a natural, not-too-perfect look, right?

You seriously used Crisco? As in cooking lard?..... um, I'm not sure if ants or orther sorts of creatures like Crisco.... You MAY not have that piece of Crisco covered cardboard tomarrow, the ants might have walked away with it....

Well, if your looking for a shiney finsh and still want the cardboard color, I use this resin-stuff that you pour on a surface to kind of seal it. I use it for table tops and the like. But if you want it to look like...metal, for instance, then a chrome spray paint of a rust-o-leum Hammered metal spary paint, it's all your preference.

Just for future reference, this question and others like can and should be taken to a Q&A team memer via PM. We are more than happy to help you.

I hear you, but crisco does give it a shine, and ants haven't walked off with it yet, maybe some hairspray could seal the stuff on.

For cardboard, I like to use "truck bed liner" spray before painting, it gives it a more realistic look, and gives it a coat of plastic material. Then paint it however you want. You dont want your armor too shiny, because as a SPARTAN, we never seen to have "clean" armor.

I'm working on an Elite costume for Halloween. I found that after giving cardboard a paint job that I give it at least 2 coats of hair spray (you know, the kind that makes your hair stand on end :p ) and it gives it a great finish (I'm suprised how well it turned out) and as it turns out, Crisco (the lard-type stuff) is only shiny for a few hours, then it dries up and turns invisible...
I don't think I could afford truck liner, my budget is very low... so far $7 for fabric and paint (yay walmart!)

BlacRoseImmortal said:
clear nail polish? resin? crisco?

You can probably use just about anything to give it a shiney surface....

EDIT: Just so you know for future reference, the Q&A Team is more than happy to tackle your questions via PMs :]
nail polish has a bright bling to it :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back